Mickstar

Advice on what to do?

Mickstar

Hate to ask this but I'm seriously puzzled on what to do. I'm a young soon to be mum, this is my first and I'm about 23 weeks. Due in May.

I'm kind of just looking for opinions/advice on what to do with like Centrelink, I guess. With my age, I need to be either studying or working to get payments from them. I was studying but that course has now finished. And the last time I saw my job provider, I told him I'm pregnant but he didn't seem to care, all he said was that I still need to either work or study otherwise I'll be cut off..

So there's roughly about three months to go, I kinda don't see the point in starting a course.. Most of them go for 6 months, so I probably won't even get to finish it, which would just be a waste of everybody's time. Not to mention, waste of money if I have to pay for the course. I also don't see the point in starting a job, although I have been looking! But lately I've been feeling real crappy.. One night I'll have a good sleep, the next night, I'll be up nearly all night feeling sick, sometimes I even feel sick during the day (today is one of those days!).

I have a doctors appointment in a couple of days, so I'll be talking to him about all this. But until then, I was just hoping there might be someone else out there that has been in this situation and could give me some advice!?

• Like 1

HRH Countrymel

Just keep applying for jobs.

If you make it to interview stage and tell them you are pregnant you are probably not going to be hired - sad but true.

And yes I understand that unsuccessfully applying for jobs week after week after week is soul destroying but that is how it works.

Enjoy your pregnancy and your new baby.

• Like 7

Oriental lily

Can you do volunteer work in the meantime until you go on a parenting payment?

My DHs aunty lost her job 10 months before qualifying for the aged pension . Instead of doing a course or looking for work she did 15 hours a week volunteering at an op shop . It was basic work like sorting through bags Ect . I guess it was sort of a work for the dole scheme .

I would contact centerlink, if you become really incapacitated due to pregnancy complications surely some sort if temporary disability pension is possible as well ?

Princess Holly

Do you have a doctor you trust? You could explain to them your issue and get a certificate stating you're unable to work which should last till your baby is born and will give you access to the living away from home or austudy allowance until you're eligible for the parenting payment.

Edited by LumpySpacePrincess
  • Like 1

dirtyhoe

In your situation I did what CountryMel said. Didn't even get an interview though.

FeralZombieMum

This was me with my first baby.

I was at Uni when I had an unplanned pregnancy, and as I wasn't eligible for Austudy, I was supporting myself with a part time job at Uni, that was contract based and was re-advertised every 12 months. It was only available to Uni students doing my course - and as I had decided to take 6 months off from my course, I wasn't eligible to re-apply.

I was told about a special benefits payment - but this was 19 years ago, so might not be around anymore. I think I could only apply for it with 13 weeks of pregnancy left - and I needed a doctor's letter to say when my EDD was.

In the meantime, I still had to 'apply' for jobs every fortnight, to be eligible for the dole. (only got the dole for a month).

The downside to this - I almost got a job! ( :lol:) - it wasn't obvious that I was pregnant, and I didn't even have an interview. I just chatted to the lady at the CES about a job they were advertising (which was the job network, and later became part of Centrelink), and later that day she called me to tell me that I'd just missed out on getting the job. She hadn't even seen my resume or references! (think they were desperate to employ someone asap).

SummerStar

Same thing happened with my first.

In the end I stopped applying for jobs and just let the payment cease until I had the baby. There was nothing I could do, that's how they worked at the time.

Imaginary friend

Can you do volunteer work in the meantime until you go on a parenting payment?

My DHs aunty lost her job 10 months before qualifying for the aged pension . Instead of doing a course or looking for work she did 15 hours a week volunteering at an op shop . It was basic work like sorting through bags Ect . I guess it was sort of a work for the dole scheme .

I would contact centerlink, if you become really incapacitated due to pregnancy complications surely some sort if temporary disability pension is possible as well ?

I'm pretty sure this option of volunteering for x hours a week instead of applying for jobs only works if you are over 60.

Over 60's can access Newstart without applying for paid work if they do 15 hours of approved voluntary work per week.

Obviously wont apply to OP.

I think OP's only option, as others have said, is to go on Newstart and apply for jobs - be honest about being pregnant and be realistic about your chances of actually getting any jobs - but you still have to do this until late in the pregnancy (I think 6 weeks before due date but not 100% sure)

Or, if OP is quite sick with the pregnancy she may be able to get sickness benifits (and therefore not have to apply for jobs) - but this would only be approved if she is sick, not just for pregnancy.