Independence

11 Y.O dd would like start shaving her legs....

Independence

My daughter asked me this morning if I could teach her how to shave her legs. I know her best friend started shaving her recently. And she had a swimming carnival yesterday... Both of these could have influenced her.

I am not sure where to start. Or how I should go about it. It seems a super sharp razor gliding against her skin 'feels' to me, almost dangerous. But that's obviously my concern because she's keen to learn!

The main issue I have is she has very light blonde hair that almost goes white in summer. You can barely see the hair. Under her arms is a light brown, so I understand her wanting to have there.

Any advice on how to reason with her delaying on her legs? I'd like to be able to suggest other methods like waxing in a few years in addition to shaving.

If you think I should teach her, any tips?

Caribou

Yea, don't delay it. I had the fine white hair legs too. My mum refused to purchase a razor for me until I was 15. It was awful.

I would suggest waxing instead. Sure it hurts but you go longer between shaves.

Other option is the shaver shop. And get a rechargeable shaver for legs. They're nice and you can't really hurt yourself with their razors.

Edited by Madnesscraves
  • Like 1

Darksider

What about a depilatory cream? They have come a long way in recent years.

As for leg shaving tips - tell her to go slowly, rinse the razor often, never use a blunt blade, and never try to shave dry skin.

Good luck OP.

Darksider

Oh, and check out dollar shave club.

Best. Thing. Ever.

• Like 1

Independence

Never heard of Dollar Shave Club!... I'll look into it :-)

Just found out my partner suggested she shave. Not impressed.

Independence

Hmmm.... I'll check out the shaver shop today also. Sounds safer as an intro.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I would go to an epilator (I have braun silk epil 7).

Epilator or waxing will be what I offer DD when time comes.

• Like 1

Beeky73

My DD turned 12 this month & we just did hers last weekend. A couple of her friends were doing it over the summer. We used a disposable razor, it took FOREVER! But she was very impressed with her smooth legs (not so much the stubble!) Am now thinking I will just get her an electric shaver to manage it. She did well, I started her off & she had a go too.

ImpatientAnna

Please don't try to dissuade her. Mum thought because I had light fine hair that I wasn't allowed to but I was determined so I just nicked one of dad's razors and hacked holes in my legs cause I was clueless. It's appropriate for her age so much better to show her.

• Like 9

CallMeFeral

???

Wow I'd be ropeable.

• Like 4

~Jolly_F~

If this is the case. I would have a chat with her about her hair being so light, once she starts it's kind of a forever thing and it should be her decision when she shaves not on someone's suggestion. And ask her to have a think about it and let you know her decision is a few days and you can either go ahead or not.

• Like 4

remlab

DD15 only shaves her legs when playing sport. She hates doing it, but due to strapping tape not being friends with leg hairs it is a necessity.

She started when she was about 12.

• Like 1

Darksider

Silkymit would be good for her legs. You can't cut yourself and it is pain free. https://www.pricelin...-glove-3.0-pack

Or save money and buy some fine grade sandpaper from Bunnings. That's all these are - fine sandpaper.

• Like 2

Guest canadianmum

I put my very fair haired twin daughters off until this summer. They are 15. I waxed their lower legs the first few times and then purchased them an electric shaver for Christmas.

They have both admitted to me they wished they had not started it now as the regrowth is darker and thicker.

I will do the same with my next 3 girls, gently dissuade them as long as possible.

Good luck!

maman de singe

My mum wouldn't let me shave my legs for ages and my hairy legs were a big source of embarrassment for me.

In hindsight, I understand that she was trying to postpone the chore of repetitive shaving for me... But I've decided I won't do the same to my daughter.

Regarding the safety of disposable razors: I used to take chunks out of my ankles and knees all the time :annoyed: But a few years ago I switched to the kind of razors that have fine little guard wires over the blades, and I NEVER cut myself anymore. :thumbs: I think my current brand is Schick Quattro.

So when DD gets old enough to shave, I will definitely get her the kind with the guard wires - much safer.

Therese

I would talk to her about the fact that her hair may grow back darker and thicker once she starts.

If she still wants to go ahead, then I would start with an electric shaver or waxing. My oldest started off having her legs waxed and then moved on to an electric shaver.

cstar

I would try and persuade her to wax instead, I'm sure if you continue to wax the hair eventually slows down all together and you rarely have to get it done, that's what a friend of mine told me, she is very dark and she has never ever shaved her legs always waxed and she now barely has any hair at all she's in her late 40's.

I know when I shave the hair comes back thicker and it's coarser than when I wax.

BadCat

I'd be well beyond not impressed. It's nobody's business but hers. I'd be teaching her to tell people like that to sod off before I taught her to shave.

Since the damage is already done I would try gently to talk her round to waiting, but if she is insistent I would suggest different methods and let her choose one.

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

I would try and persuade her to wax instead, I'm sure if you continue to wax the hair eventually slows down all together and you rarely have to get it done, that's what a friend of mine told me, she is very dark and she has never ever shaved her legs always waxed and she now barely has any hair at all she's in her late 40's.

I know when I shave the hair comes back thicker and it's coarser than when I wax.

I have always waxed or epilatored. My underarms now have about 10 hairs each. I will just get the tweezers and pluck in between waxing appts. Now I use the braun silk epil under my arms.

FTR I have never shaved. I used an ancient dry electric shaver one or twice at 12yrs, then saved my pennies to wax. As I was blonde haired I would get it done about 4times a year in the summer months. Both my mum and sister shave so I am the odd one out in my family.

Edited by IsolaBella

EsmeLennox

At 11 I would gently try to steer her away from the idea. Then my partner would feel my wrath!

• Like 1

PizzaSteve

I have fine blonde hair - I have only ever shaved my lower leg and my knee as you can't really see the hair above my knee. Maybe only do that first? I was about the same age when I shaved without mum knowing - I remember being in the passenger seat of the car paranoid she would notice so kept trying to hide my legs!

Independence

Thanks for the suggestions :) I think a healthy conversation regarding body hair being totally normal should be discussed. I want her to remove it for the right reasons, and not because of peer pressure to meet societies ideal of beauty.

If she still wants to remove it, I'll explain various ways to do it, and also mention of the consequences eg: nicks, cuts, burns, can grow back darker, thicker etc....

Edit Partners Comments:

Apparently my daughter was saying he needs to shave sooooo bad, because he is sooooo hairy, and he said she should start shaving her arms and legs and then when it grows back he will be on her case about it. He didn't mean to initiate prematurely shaving. He did say that she's around that age, and assumed it wasn't a taboo topic. I understood what he meant, grumbled a little, and moved on.

Ooops just realised this is in the wrong section.

Thanks for the replies all the same!

• Like 1

mumma21

My mother refused to let me shave when I was 12 and I got so sick of being teased about my hairy legs that I snuck my dad's razor. Omg worst shaving rash ever! I used pocket money to buy my own razors in secret before my mum finally accepted it and started buying them for me.

I will not do that to my daughter. If she feels that shaving will boost her confidence then I will help her.

• Like 1

lozoodle

I'd let her, and buy some decent quality razors and spend the time to show her how to do it properly.

Otherwise she will probably just do what I did with a cheapie and go and do it anyway and hack my legs to bits lol