Sign in to follow this  
suzy-c

To those who've had 3 under 3!

suzy-c

Hello all. I am 11 weeks preg, due in August, at which point I will have 3 under 3, (until DS2 turns 3 in Nov).

I currently have 3 boys, with DS1 being 21yrs old. D? is due on DS1's 22nd birthday.

As far as parenting and babies go, I'm generally happy with life and reasonably comfortable with mess and unpredictability, so that helps. :)

So! 3 under 3. When this was you, what was it like? Was it much harder than 2 under 2, or did #3 just blend in?

Raincloud

I had 3 in 3 years not as close as you though. DS was about 3 and 5 weeks when DD2 came along and our eldest daughter was 16.5 months old. Honestly so far it has been easy enough, but I'm lucky that DH is home by noon everyday.

My baby is a bit of a Velcro baby which makes things a bit more inconvenient but I usually put her in the sling.

The hardest part is getting them in and out the bloody car when we go out. I still haven't quite figured out who to get in and out first and if there's groceries involved, it completely throws me lol.

• Like 1

Carmie

Mine were 3yrs 2mths, 14mths and newborn when #3 came along. I found it a lot easier then I did with 2 under 2 but in saying that my 14mth old wasn't walking so I could sit him on the floor with me and some toys whilst I feed newborn etc. was good until newborn was a week old and oldest decided she wanted to toilet train. We spent a lot of the time hanging out in the hallway.

We tried for #4 straight away but he took 3yrs to come. I found the 3 in 3yrs2mths easier then the 4 in 6yrs 4mths.

Only because with the first three I didn't have commitement of school, kindy and after school activities. Didn't need to work newborns sleep around these things either.

If I needed to we could all stay in our pjs and stay home. I would prepare snacks/drinks for the older kids so if I was busy with the newborn they could get them themselves which was a lifesaver as they always became hungry or thirsty when I stopped to feed newborn or he had a poo explosion etc.

• Like 1

suzy-c

Hehe, that sounds like fun, the car bit anyway. With two and two adults, we each put one in the car. I guess the nb will have to come along in the sling while we do it!

DS3 will be 16mths when D? comes along, so it's a similar gap. I hope he doesn't notice his middle-ness much. The main problem is other people assuming we're trying for a girl. We were probably unhappy with a third boy, hence why we're going again. We genuinely don't care about gender, but no one believes us.

suzy-c

Hooray for PJ's and prepared snacks! It's good to hear your stories because as parents, we just find a way. I can't say I could find a way if everyone had gastro, which was us a few months ago, but thankfully, that doesn't happen often. DH can usually come home from work if I'm too sick. :)

Soontobegran

I did but it seems a long time ago now ( because it is )

To be honest the hardest for me was going from 0 to 1 with subsequent babies just fitting in.

My first 3 were all in nappies together and fortunately still had at least one nap a day together so that was when I was a mad woman and got things done .

#3 also came home from hospital seeming like she knew she was not an only child.

My regret if I have one is that maybe our eldest at 2.5 had more responsibility than the average child that age. She fetched nappies, played with the 1 year old and generally was a huge help. :)

I was thrown a bit of a curve ball when #3 was nearly. 8 months old when I discovered I was pregnant again and TBH #'s 4 and 5 did stretch me but just due to sleep deprivation.

You sound organised and relaxed, I am sure you'll be fine but doing what makes things easy for you is good. I could not have done it without my giant playpen.

Good luck :-)

• Like 2

Franny and Zooey

A good carrier (like ergo, manduca, Tula etc) is important, just to deal with the baby while still attending to the other two. There were a fair few times I bathed the other two, or cooked dinner with baby in the carrier on my back just to keep her quite.

• Like 1

suzy-c

Hehe, relaxed, yes, but I stand in awe of people who are organised. The best I can do at organisation is dramatically reducing the number of possessions until they don't take long to put away. Having toddlers climbing on chairs, tables, windowsills etc, to either attempt jumping out the window or playing with high-shelf ornaments remains a challenge.

Nasty Teens

2 years 10 months, 20 months and a newborn. A sling and a double pram were my lifesavers. And prioritising housework. For me, kitchen had to be cleaned, then that washing washed and dried (it lived then in a heap, don't think I got to the folding for a year) then bathroom toilet then floor vacuumed. Everything else could just make do. #3 was also an incredibly laid back baby who enjoyed cuddles from everyone and anyone.

• Like 2

gemgirl

We had 3 under 3 (plus a 5 year old) for 2 months, before our 3 year old turned 4. It was okay. The hardest part was the two youngest, who are a year apart. It's hard for the 'baby' to no longer be the baby once the newborn comes along, so lots of special attention is needed. Also DP and I both parented in a lot more than perhaps we would have if there was just one baby. It was all hands on deck!

• Like 1

Mrs Lost Wanderer

I had 3 under 3 for one day. Poor DD1 had her birthday cake and presents in my hospital room the day after she got another baby sister. There is a 16 month gap between DD1 and DD2 and then 20 months until DD3 arrived. I just took one day at a time. Like Feral Teens, tried to stay on top of the washing and keeping the kitchen clean. Anything else that got done was a bonus. Things like scrubbing the bathrooms got done on DH's day off. On good days the older two would do play dough or something while I fed DD3 and we would cook while she had a nap. On not so good days, they watched a lot of ABC2.

Baby number 4 is on the way and DD1 starts school this week and DD2 starts three year old kinder one morning each week and I'm more worried about how I'm going to cope with a new born and getting the others ready to take DD1 to school.

• Like 1

Mrs Lost Wanderer

Just another thought, just remember that you can't do everything at once. There will be times when the older kids need something but you can't respond straight away because you are feeding the NB or something and sometimes the NB will have to wait while you get the other two in their pj's after the bath.

I remember sitting on the bathroom floor BFing DD3 while the other two were in the bath and crying because they wanted to get out and then DD3 cried because she couldn't have her second side straight away and then I cried because all three girls were crying.

So yeah, don't forget that you only have one set of hands and can only do your best. And remember that other people out there know how you feel.

• Like 1

mumsy77

I had 3 under 2!! It was hard but that's because my twins were very sick babies. I then had 4 under 4.5. For me, some of the most helpful things were letting go of my previous standards!

Things like - babies and toddlers don't need a bath every day. A wipe with a damp flannel is fine for every other day for the older ones and a newborn can easily go 3 days as long as you give them a wipe down each day too.

Not every meal needs to be a freshly prepared, homemade, organic gourmet masterpiece. A roast chook from Coles/Woolies and salad is fine as is the odd meal of chicken nuggets and chips for the kids. Sandwiches and/or cereal for dinner occasionally won't kill them either. In fact, I found it easier at that age to make lunch the main cooked meal so that dinner could be something quick and easy to help me out in that witching hour.

Try to get the older ones set up with something before you start to feed the baby. I found keeping a drink bottle for the older one in the fridge so he could get it himself was a lifesaver otherwise he would neeeeeeed a drink too as soon as the baby latched on.

Lots of TV/DVD time! Don't feel guilty about using screen time to help you through it.

I found backyard picnics worked really well for my boys. The twins were usually content to lie there and look around and the older one could run around and play.

Slings are your friend. They free your hands up so you can play with the older ones while keeping the baby happy.

Good luck! And remember to enjoy it. :)

Always amazed!

i had 4 under 3 thanx to the extra i got:)

whoever said getting them in and out of the car was a pain is so right . other then tat it was all good

sure there were times of stress but if your relaxed and go with the flow you will be fine!

also had no help and hubby worked a crap load:)

• Like 1

The Awesome One

I went from one to three, but honestly it wasn't that hard, my twins slotted in like they were always here, the only thing that I struggled with was the lack of sleep during those first few months (which was obviously worse being that I had to feed two instead of one). It was difficult when DD ended up in hospital for a week aswell, but I can't imagine any family finding that easy.

You'll find your groove and find what works for you :)

CafeCat

I coped with three because they were reasonable sleepers. We got over confident with our parenting skills and went for #4 AKA The 24/7 Screamer.

• Like 1

anatomicalheart

I *just* missed out on 3 under 3 by two months. I did have 2 under 1 for a month though.

At the start I did struggle with not being able to be everywhere and everything at once- it felt like there was always someone I was asking to wait for whatever it was they wanted.

Being really, really organised helped immensely- in a way, especially as they get older, you can't *not* be organised otherwise it's a bit of chaos.

Guest canadianmum

I had 3 under 2 and I loved it but as a PP stated, mine were good sleepers.

So, so busy when their were up though.

I had been a Nanny so I ran my days like that.

And lists, I still love a good list.

One habit that stuck was to prep supper in the morning. I still, to this day, do that.

Jo-Anna

I had three under three for quite a while.

For me the best days were when I was organised. I'd cook dinner while the toddler napped at lunch, shop on the weekend when DH was home so I didn't have to take 3 to the supermarket etc.

I also asked for lots of help and lowered my standards… on everything. There were many times where we had eggs on toast or porridge for dinner. I found the fisher price baby swing a godsend, and friends of mine would even put the baby in the swing with a playpen around it to protect it from the toddlers 'love'.

I probably would have really loved a baby carrier if I had a singleton, never bothered with the twins.

Oh and I would highly recommend a car capsule that clips directly onto a double pram, possibly with a skateboard on the back for the 2yo.

Good luck!

Natttmumm

I didnt have 3 under 3 but i had a 5, 3 and newborn. even though gap is bigger so easier i had school and preschool run everyday which was tough.

having them all at home simplifies that part of it.

enjoy, my baby is 2 now and i miss those newborn baby days like crazy (no more for us)

DZP

I had 3 under 2 and then 4 under 3. I managed to complete a university degree which I was studying full time, so it must not have been too bad.

• Like 1

MotherClucker

I had an almost 3 year old, and a almost 1 year old when my twins came. I dont remember the second half of 2006. Its just gone from my memory. I know we didnt go out unless we had to. I know I packed the twins into the car and left the double pram on the sidewalk and drove away lol. But I survived! I even went back for another so it couldnt be that bad. Just do what you have to do to get through. Ask for help. Pre make everything possible.

The Awesome One

oh and never forget about online shopping, soooooo much easier getting your food delivered to your door.

• Like 1