Silverstreak

Let's pay off those credit cards! Buckle your swashes!

DanceMom

Joining this thread. In the last few months I have managed to get my credit card from $1500 to $500. Reduced the limit each time. Might not sound like a lot but to sole parent only on pension. I currently have just over $2000 of 'debt' which I want to get rid of (just over $1000 of that are Centrelink advances).

• Like 8

Silverstreak

Edited by Silverstreak

fleeting

Car ended up being a very easy (and cheap) fix!!

Still plodding along trying to get used to hubby's fortnightly payments from his old monthly. It's luckily alternative weeks to me!

• Like 4

Silverstreak

That's great news Fleeting!

jdlady

I haven't been participating, but I wanted to celebrate with people who would understand. As of yesterday our credit card was down to just $110. I REALLY wish I could have afforded that last little bit but it just wasn't to happen! Looking forward to payday next Tuesday so I can wave goodbye to it! My credit card is starting to get frost bite from its time in the freezer, but its worked well for us!

We are however taking on a personal loan next week for a car, but at least we aren't taking that on while we have the credit card. And we will be able to pay that off in full when we sell our house later in the year.

• Like 8

Silverstreak

Well done JDlady, that is wonderful!

fleeting

Well done!

I'm loving how much lower my minimum payments are getting and I'm trying to pay off what I already had been.

mumto4boys

So while I've paid off all my credit cards, it seems DH has been putting more and more on his.

I guess I did sort if know about this and turned a bit of a blind Eye to it, but it has reached a stage where it can't be ignored.

Can anyone give me any tips on a good interest free deal at the moment so he can at least start with an interest free balance transfer period?

Thanks

fleeting

How is everyone going? I'm just proud that I haven't touched my cards for months now, still too scared to chop them up just in case but I have been lowering the limits!

• Like 1

2_little_boys

Crappy here. We have been plodding but not getting very far.

Not long though and our personal loan will be paid off and what I have been paying on that will drop to a card.

On the upside I have had a Target card for many many years.

Its been considerably over limit for a long time but they didnt seem to care so neither did I and as long as I pain the minimum payment each month (which was next to nothing) they were happy.

Anyway I got the statement on Tuesday and nearly died. :(

Then last night I got home to a letter from them. Had a little panic then read it.

They are actually doing a 1 off debt reduction payment to my account on my behalf to bring the balance back down to the credit limit! That will be a huge chunk gone (think 2/3 of the balance :omg::ph34r: )

So I plan to hit that hard and ditch it. Then get back on my original mission.

• Like 6

Tinkle Splashes

Wow 2LB, I have never heard of a credit provider doing that before. What a lucky break for you!!

• Like 1

fleeting

Oh wow that sounds awful 2LB! I've never heard of it also and it must come as a shock when it's out of the blue.

We don't have too much left on our loan either but will have to redraw a little bit cover our two car regos due april and may (and in vic you have no other choice but to pay the whole lot in one go)

Tinkle Splashes

Oh wow that sounds awful 2LB! I've never heard of it also and it must come as a shock when it's out of the blue.

We don't have too much left on our loan either but will have to redraw a little bit cover our two car regos due april and may (and in vic you have no other choice but to pay the whole lot in one go)

Awful? A huge chunk is being taken off the debt for her? It's great!!

fleeting

I meant awful as in the shock...being unprepared for the bill!!

• Like 2

DanceMom

Slowly chipping away at my debt. Gotten it down from over $2000 to now around $1650 after this weeks pay. Hope to completely pay off my credit card by this time next month and cut it up!

• Like 2

Silverstreak

Edited by Silverstreak
  • Like 1

Silverstreak

Sorry, Mum to four boys, I just saw your post. Not sure of any current deals, but I just wanted to wish you luck!

• Like 1

fleeting

We have our regos due to Silverstreak. Hubby's in April and mine in May. But still happy to report that our cards are going down instead of steady or up!

• Like 1

fleeting

Ugh. Money getting tight. Bring on July!

• Like 2

DanceMom

Still slowly chipping away at my debt. Also putting away savings though as I need to show 4-6 months of savings for car loan. 2/3s of my 'debt' is just centrelink advances so no point in paying back early when I can have that money sitting in high interest account. Going to pay off the last $500 of my credit card tomorrow and cut it up / close down account. Am fairly excited at the prospect of having close to no debt so I can throw every extra dollar into savings and getting my dream car.

• Like 2

Silverstreak

Oh well done Back2Feral, that is great news and good luck with getting your dream car!

fleeting

Well since according to my pay slips I have more than paid enough tax this financial year to pay of my hecs I'm getting it stopped from my pay. It will give me an extra 170 a f/n for bills. Not going to help me reduce in the meantime but it will help by not having to add.

• Like 4

Silverstreak

That's fantastic Fleeting!

• Like 1

fleeting

I've paid enough to even get extra back at tax time! Hubby was paying his for most of the year before we realised he paid it off last year!

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Nice one!