Overtherainbow

Has your life gone to plan? Spin off

Overtherainbow

If you wrote out your goals 5 or 10 years ago has your life gone where you thought it would?

What has caused your life to change for the better or worse?

Are you a planner or a go with the flow kind of person?

Ianthe

:rofl:

No.

Well I do still have five kids and I am studying but I do still feel quite stuck.

Caitlin Happymeal

Nope. That's ok. It's back on track now.

But I've learned that five year plans and the like don't really work for me. Life just happens, stuff gets in the way.

So whilst I plan on finishing my degree and start working, lose 20kgs, buy a house etc within the next five years, I accept that it might not happen how I want it to.

SummerStar

From 5-10 years ago our life is better than I thought it would be. From where we started I would never have imagined we would have been where we are now.

There's things I wish I had done but nothing I had planned for that didn't happen.

I don't really plan life in general with so many variables etc it's not something I plan as I do meals each week or outings this weekend for example but we are definitely in a place I would never have forseen 10 years ago that's for sure.

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1

Raincloud

No.

Littlemissmonkey

Nope! But I am very happy with where I have ended up.

Hrumph

Nope - certainly didn't plan 5 years ago on having terminal cancer with a few weeks to live

• Like 11

Future-self

Yes actually, it really has. I've ticked doff my dream travel destination in the last 5 years, completed my Masters and have achieved the career goals I wanted from that. I've married DH 5 years ago and now we have 1 fabulous DS and another baby on the way. We've bought a house in the area we wanted so ticked that off.

More importantly I still have my parents here happy and healthy, I haven't lost anyone I loved and my self esteem and confidence in myself has increased so much that achieving my goals is actually possible now. That was still a dream 10 years ago.

ETA Hrumph - I'm so sorry

Edited by Futureself
  • Like 3

Ianthe

Nope - certainly didn't plan 5 years ago on having terminal cancer with a few weeks to live

Oh I'm so sorry.

• Like 7

LenaK

Yes and no. My plan was to finish my degree which I did, I just never expected I'd also fall in love have a baby and quit my job because it wasnt very family friendly.

My plan wad also to buy q house which I did I just didn't expect it to be in the Netherlands!

coffy11

Prety much. I dont like to plan too far ahead. We've made good choices and are in a good place. I look forward to the next 5 to 10 years

MakesMeHappy

I don't think I really had a 5-10 year plan but I am much happier and better off than I ever thought I would be.

Overtherainbow

Mine hasn't but I don't regret the direction.

10 years ago, I had one toddler. Now I have 3 chn all in school.

I was in the busyness of dealing with an energetic child, renovating a house and pregnant with no plans to move. Financially, in a tight place but manageable.

My health has deteriorated and is a bigger hurdle than I thought it would be. We've made a big move and our careers are in a different place.

We've had a child diagnosed with a SN and had a lot of additional interventions.

It changed because opportunities came up, the negative behaviours of others impacting us and because we couldn't predict our chns personalities.

I'll still plan but won't stress if our plans deviate.

JRA

Bloody hell, 5 or 10 years ago is no time ago. So from 10 years ago, yes it has been pretty much not that "different" to what I expected.

Now if you go back to when I was at uni, or started my first job, or even at school, yes, it has no similarity to what I could have imagined.

Raincloud

I'm sorry :(

Overtherainbow

Humph, I am so sorry.

Chicken Penang

I usually have a five year plan. Plan involved buying a house. Renovating. Saving for children. Starting a family. Buying an investment apartment.

All done. Except we sold that house and bought another one. This one is the forever house but 1910 house with 70s extension. Need to start again renovation wise. Before we had two incomes and no kids. Now we have no money and two kids. It will be in this condition for a while.

My husband and I like to plan. Whether it is holidays or finances. We don't have family money to back us up so we like to be prepared.

The plan for the next five years is just to survive. No progress will be made just enjoy the kids and pay the bills. In five years the youngest will start school and we will move forward again.

• Like 4

JRA

Hrumph: I am so sorry.

Chicken Penang

I am sorry.

Ozquoll

I never had a plan, or a clue for that matter ;-) , but I've been very lucky - met my awesome man, had our beautiful son, live in a flat I love, in a beautiful street. Life's good.

bosker

wishing you all the joy you can muster, all the hugs that you can handle and all the love that you need

• Like 38

But seriously

wishing you all the joy you can muster, all the hugs that you can handle and all the love that you need

This

• Like 3

zoogle

No. I made decisions when I was young and dumb and had no idea what a plan was when I made them. Now I am older I have a plan- but all my choices are made. I now live with regret.

Edited by zoogle
  • Like 2

Beqa

Hrumph, I am so sorry. I hope you are surrounded by your loved ones.

zoogle

Hrumph I didn't see your post. I am thinking of you.

• Like 1