Sign in to follow this  
jass63

So confused!

jass63

What is the current law and legislation regarding having a homebirth?

My last child was born 6 years ago and I haven't been keeping up with what's happening in regards to homebirth. I'm now pregnant with number three and scared to death of having to go to hospital again.

Because I'm classed high risk, what options do I have? I'm located Frankston, Victoria. I've been given the option of either Dandenong, Clayton, or Frankston Hospital. So worried that I'm going to be strapped to a bed with monitors and forced to have another c-section. I hope attitudes have changed, because last time around I was treated like scum for wanting no intervention.

So stressed right now!

GlitterFarts

Aw sweetie! Sorry for the late reply, this section has slowly gone quiet :)

The fact is it is not illegal to homebirth, although people and hospitals will tell you otherwise.

Depending on what "classification" your high risk is, will be what defines your treatment from medical professionals.

have you spoken to any local indep. midwives? There are a range to choose from - registered insured midwives to lay birth attendants. Or you could choose to freebirth (just make sure you do your research)

Some registered IMs apparently have hospital access, (although the number is no where near the governments 'promised' numbers lol)

You have many options, so don't let it stress you (says the fearfully stressed woman who didn't go to her first hospital appt until 20 weeks and freaked everyone out :rolleyes: lol )

You can go from free birthing to full service care in a hospital and everything in-between.

I recently (whoa, not so recently -9 months now) birthed/ caeser at the hospital that inflicted my original birth trauma, and it was (eventually) a great experience.

My only advice is go and speak to them. See what they say. You can always chose to stay home when push comes to shove (depending on your reasons for high risk) but the best advice is take an advocate with you. It was only through the support I got here and my RL advocate that I was able to get what I needed

lol, I'm all over the place, sorry about that. Please come back and chat :)

ImpatientAnna

I think it really depends on the reason you are classed as high risk.

Legally you have the right to birth at home. Hiring an independant MW who is happy to do a home birth with a high risk mum will depend on the reason for high risk.

I think a good mid way option would be, do any of the hospitals listed have a good midwife group practice where you see one MW the whole way through and some do house calls. Normally these lovely ladies are very pro- natural birth and will not try for intervention unless it really is genuinely needed.

Another option could be to hire a doula to act as your advocate during labour to reinforce your choices.

IamtheMumma

http://mymidwives.com.au/branches/my-midwives-melbourne-south-east/

Try giving My Midwives a call. The initial appointment is bulk billed so no cost. See what services they might offer you. I used a different branch of My Midwives and found them to be excellent. They do home birth, hospital birth including VBACs. I think VBAC homebirths is up to the individual clinic. My one doesn't do them.