rld_dg

Edible insects...anyone done anything meaningful, i.e. homemade treats/evening meal

rld_dg

...just wondering. Looking to improve our environmental credentials which are a bit woeful atm.

Is eating bugs in melbourne feasible at the moment? Not just as a fad, but fair dinkum, family meal kind of scenario?

Where do I buy them? What's their protein ratio in comparison to meat?

Does anyone do this/has anyone tried?

klr75

ummmmmm, whatever floats your boat !!!!!!!! LOL!!!

No idea where to buy or how to cook them!!?? Good luck!

Phoebo

In my mind, the terms 'edible insects' and 'homemade treats' don't really belong in the same sentence I'm afraid. I think I would be looking at other, less extreme ways of improving my environmental credentials before deciding to eat bugs.

Sorry, nothing helpful to contribute but I look forward to reading the responses. I must say, this is one of the more... interesting topics I've seen on EB.

• Like 4

klr75

i actually just had a read of the website and it was rather interesting - not sure I'm ready to eat bugs though!

• Like 1

rld_dg

Thanks, had a look at this website but I don't feel much the wiser for it.

Just wondering if anyone had experiences.

Literary Lemur

Is it only me thinking what bugs dipped in chocolate might taste like?

• Like 1

lucky 2

Off thread but RN had a program yesterday (Drive) on eating cane toad legs.

http://gulpnt.com/

Scroll down for toad legs.

Tinky Winky Woo

Sorry I am just not that hungry to want to eat bugs for any reason. I would rather do other environmentally friendly things.

• Like 1

annodam

I ate one in a lollipop, does that count?

We bought said lollipop at the Melbourne Museum & only found out later it was real & here were thinking how nice & crunchy it was...

It was a cricket, btw.

Of course I doubt I'd eat another one now that I know!

Google insect lollipops & you'll see what I mean!

Mistaken identity

I really can't think of mealworms and 'treat' in the same sentence, I just can't.

I must be very unenlightened, but I would have to be desperately hungry to look at insects as an option. If I'm looking for environmentally friendly food options I'd be looking at the backyard veggie garden as my first point of call.

That said, I'm aware that's my cultural bias showing through. In some countries eating insects is perfectly normal, and some are delicacies. I don't think they are considered 'family meal' territory though. There's just not enough substance to them. More of a finger food snack.

hills mum bec

How many insects would you have to catch to make a family meal?

• Like 1

Owliegirl

I absolutely think this is going to become a staple in our diets within my lifetime. There's plenty of good research that has suggested this is a way to go and very easy and sustainable. There's a reason a lot of 3rd world countries have bug eating as a part of their cuisines. I have no idea how to go about it though.

Although, I did fry and eat worms from the garden once.

Glowworm80

Anyone else surprised at how expensive they are on that website?

Bug flour is $25 for 200g and frozen crickets are $65 for 500, which at most I would imagine weighed 1.5kg??? That over $40/kg... That's very very expensive protein source.

Even if I was inclined to eat bugs I don't think we could afford it!

• Like 2

Glowworm80

Off thread but RN had a program yesterday (Drive) on eating cane toad legs.

http://gulpnt.com/

Scroll down for toad legs.

Nope!

I would rather eat the insects! Reading that, did nothing good for my MS!

steppy

It would be really easy to breed enough meal worms I think. I think it is the way of the future too - in the end eating animals will be illegal but we'll still be able to eat these little things.

Phoebo

Prawns anyone? They're quite insect like. All those legs, long feelers and buggy eyes. Having to peel away their external skeleton... I can't see it is much different to insects.

I'd never eat cane toads. :sick:

I would however eat locusts as a flour or something that didn't retain the insect shape (I'm too conditioned to eat them as is). But the price would have to be a lot cheaper.

Prawns have flesh though. Insects just have squishy goo. :sick:

• Like 1

FEdeRAL

Not sure about toads, but frogs are tasty. It's as common as quails in China and Southeast Asia. They are called "paddy chicken" in Mandarin.

FEdeRAL

I ate one in a lollipop, does that count?

We bought said lollipop at the Melbourne Museum & only found out later it was real & here were thinking how nice & crunchy it was...

I have seen little boxes of fried insects, also in Melbourne Museum's gift shop. If you don't look too closely, they just look like fried baby shrimps coated in chili...

• Like 1

Jenflea

I've seen those boxes of insects in my local IGA.

Not at ALL tempted to eat them. I'd rather go full time vegetarian.

HRH Countrymel

I've had the ol' chocolate dipped ants as a child (nice try Mum - Yes I DO still want another sweetie thank you!), and I've eaten fried crickets when I've been OS.

But apart from snails - who are NOT insects - I've not deliberately eaten any of the so called 'bug life' at home in Australia as an adult..

Love snails though. Hmmmmmmm... perhaps I should learn how to 'purge' them and see if I can cook them at home, my budget for snazzy French restaurants has somewhat evaporated of late!

rld_dg

Thanks all. Was half expecting someone to tell me they were available at such-and-such a market...obviously not :)

OW, not quite ready for DIY -- I think that's for braver souls than me!

ainira

Out of interest, how are the insects killed? Is there an ethical way of doing it?