Sign in to follow this  
Jaffacakes

Pop music suitable for a 7 year old girl

Jaffacakes

Just wondering what sort of music your 7/8 year olds listen to?

A lot of DDs friends are into Katy Perry, but is it suitable for this age group (some of the singles seem OK, but not sure).

Any ideas on some age appropriate pop music for me to investigate (pop is definitely not my preferred genre :p)

José

Maybe Taylor swift??

gabbigirl

Yes my girls are into taylor swift, I have watched some of the videos and so far nothing too racy.

Nasty Butterfly

One Direction, Little Mix, Taylor Henderson, Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez are very popular with my DD's (ages 8 & 11) and are fairly kid friendly.

Franny and Zooey

The frozen soundtrack!

• Like 2

F.E.B.E

The girls on my son's class love Katy Perry, One Direction, Taylor Swift and the Frozen soundtrack. If you just buy the Katy Perry singles like Roar and Firework they are pretty safe.

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

We just have singles like Roar and Firework like PP.

Sentient Puddle

I can just about stomach Katy Perry - Taylor Swift and No Direction or Idea not so much. Pop music in this house for DD is still influenced somewhat by my tastes and not DD's (7) - this will of course change over the coming months and years as I am not too delusional about my influence on her.

cward

I can just about stomach Katy Perry - Taylor Swift and No Direction or Idea not so much. Pop music in this house for DD is still influenced somewhat by my tastes and not DD's (7) - this will of course change over the coming months and years as I am not too delusional about my influence on her.

My DD's (11 and 7) love all the old stuff I love listening too but my younger DD also loves lots of new stuff too. My DD1 still prefers the older tunes but she is a very confident kid who doesn't mind what others think of her and she will happily sing along to WSFM in the car with her friends there all giggling that she knows the words

F.E.B.E

Taylor Swift is actually much more palatable than Katy Perry and 1D imo.

• Like 1

dadwasathome

Country Taylor Swift isn't too bad. Pop Taylor is dreck, although less "inapproriate" than Katy Perry. 1D serves a purpose, but their replacement must hit the market soon?

Therese

You can get some compilation CD's that are aimed at younger kids but not toddlers. They are normally a good mix of artists.

Sam Wheat

5 seconds of Summer are pretty popular at the moment and Justice crew are cool, I love their dancing.

tres

My lot are in to Taylor Swift but also Lorde - she writes beautiful tunes.

Megan Washington is a local artist who writes catchy tunes - you'd have to do a lyric screen though.

We have been listening to Beach Boys, The Beatles even The Police lately and they're all loving it.

1D and Justice Crew get a look in but I find it hard to encourage.

• Like 2

Nasty Butterfly

You know out of all the music my DD's listen to 1D is the stuff I like the most. I'm actually looking forward to the concert in Feb. :laugh:

Ariana Grande is also popular these days and DD2 is a fan of Jessica Mauboy.

BeAwesome

I regularly play my music collection (very diverse, spanning many decades and genres), and DD 6 years will chime in if she likes something, so I put it on her i-pod if the content is appropriate.

If she's wanting to listen to newer stuff, maybe quickly listen to samples on i-Tunes of the current charts, and make a play list for her of the things she likes (they will give warnings of explicit language before you download, most read-friendly songs 'clean' versions that can be downloaded too).

• Like 1

F.E.B.E

I like Taylor's pop stuff!

Justice Crew are popular with the boys at DS' school.

last year they liked Owl City.

DD (5) likes Lorde's 'Team', she likes most pop music too.

The kids all love Redfoo, even though the lyrics are questionable.

dadwasathome

I like Taylor's pop stuff!

After this thread I've got "22" in my head, but I just prefer her stuff with banjos and mandolins - but I dislike most "decountryised" country music anyway.

I don't love 5SoS, but saw them on Jimmy Fallon a few weeks ago singing tweets in the style of a range of artists and was quite impressed with their musicianship and humour.

Jaffacakes

Thanks guys, you've given me a few to investigate!! (Kinda hoping we can bypass 1D though :p ) I might get a compilation and go from there :)

MrsDarcy

I put on the kids pop mix from the I heart radio ap.

Chocolate Addict

I wouldn't play 1D's new song to any one, no matter the age. Yes, it is quite catchy but the whole song is so wrong, especially the line where they sing 'she belongs to me' - really?? wtf? no guys, she doesn't 'belong' to anyone. gggrrr

Lyric wise there are some decent ones but then you watch the over sexualised video clip and realise the kids can't watch it.

Hypnic Jerk

It's he video clips that area problem. DD likes to have them on Saturday morning and a lot if it is trash

Chelli

My girls adore Jessica Mauboy.

marley*and*me

My 5yo is currently in the Katy Perry concert