Sign in to follow this  
idle

Gold Coast theme parks for large families.

idle

Hi I am taking my family of 1 adult and 6 children to the goldcoast and am currently looking at the Treasure Island holiday park for accommodation which is $211 per night for a fully equipped villa.

The theme parks seem to have a $99 pass per person for all 3 theme parks and can be used throughout the time we are there.

We are looking at August next year and will be going for 5 days.

I was hoping someone who had done this with their large family may have some alternative suggestions for accommodation which may save money or tips etc.

Thanks in advance.

PinkPaper

We just got back from the GC/Theme Park holiday. Oooh its expensive!! Can't give any advice regarding accommodation, but need to let you know that if you go during school holidays, its madness at the theme parks. Lining up for rides is 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. We got around this by buying a Fasttrack pass for our daughter, but that $60. It allows you to bypass the queues and go straight on the rides. My son is too young for rides so we avoided having to buy him one. For 6 kids though, that will be expensive!

It would also be cheaper to hire a car. We used transfer shuttles, but that was $57 per day for a family of 4. By the time you pay for everyone, I think car hire would work out cheaper.

• Like 1

idle

Thanks for the advice, PinkPaper. I will keep that in mind. :)

KylieferalMin0gue

We are going up in March and staying at Turtle Beach resort. Looks really good and has very good reviews. We have also avoided school holidays to try and limit the madness!

idle

KylieferalMinogue, oh that looks so nice. :)

~Bob~

I always get a house from stayz.com.au as it's larger and we can spread out more. Not sure you will get a better price than $211 though, that's a really good deal. Agree with car rental, we always hire one, then we aren't relying on shuttle services. Just check with your accommodation that there won't be extra parking charges though.

• Like 2

idle

Great, thanks ~Bob~.

lizzzard

Just on the transport, I believe Treasure Island offers a free shuttle? Have a look and confirm, but I think I recall this from our stay at Christmas.

Feral Nina

After looking at shuttles between the parks we to decided on a rental car - 4 adults and 2 kids, we leave on Monday :)

whatnamenow

Also treasure island is right at a bus stop for the local buses which will get you to the themeparks.

If you end up staying there, then there is an awesome Japanese supermarket right next door.

Carmie

I just recently did Qld with my oldest two children. We stayed in an apartment (as we were with our dance school and all had to stay together). I shared with a friend and her child.

It wasn't school holidays when we went but it was warm weather and we had no issues with lines etc for rides. Only one we struggled with was Sea World but that could have been because there was really only 1-2 rides open.

We tossed up between getting a car or doing trasfers and ended up going with the transfers and I regret that I didn't do a car. They only pick you up from late in the afternoon and at one we had finished an hour before the first pick up time and ended up catching a bus back

idle

Thanks everyone. I will look into the free shuttle as that would help a lot.

butterflybum

We recently did a holiday to the gold coast. Keep an eye on stayz.com.au we got a holiday house for $300 a night. Staying in a house was heaps better than staying in a cabin. We took our three boy to dreamworld and whitewater world for three days.

We have also stayed at tresuare island it is a great park but would be a better holiday on its own as if your going to theme parks you're too buggered to do the activities at treasure island.

We also went during the week from Sunday till friday. The kids missed a week of school but in a large family this is how we make it affordable.

I wouldn't dare go on a weekend it sop busy you don't get a chance to do anything plus you might lose a kid or two. Lol

mumsy77

Take your own food to the theme parks! Because 3 of my kids have food allergies, we usually always take food for us all. The last time we went, I only took food for the allergy kids and it cost me $60 to buy 3 small ham and salad wraps, 3 small packets of chips to share among us all, a fruit salad for 2 kids to share and 2 bottles of water! The water alone is $4.50 for a 600ml bottle so make sure you take heaps of water for everyone. You can hire a locker inside for $10 for the day so you don't need to lug everything around all day.

• Like 2

eponee

Following this

Coffeegirl

I second taking your own food. Food is super expensive inside the parks and often not a lot of healthy choices. But some of the parks won't let you actually take it in, they just allow you a 'pass out' so you have to leave the food in the car (in an esky) and eat there or at the picnic tables. We were staying in a hotel, but took some small soft sided, insulated school lunch bags. Chucked some freezer packs in the minibar overnight. Stopped at Subway on the way to the park and got 4 meals with bottle drinks. Less than $30 and heaps cheaper and healthier than the park food

Best to double check with the park you are visiting first though.

We also take empty water bottles in and fill them up inside too ;) They can't stop this, though some have tried! This save us $20+ a day in water alone. At $4-5 a bottle (that's only one, per person for the whole day) definitely not enough if it's hot.