LemonPie

Sun Safe Cabana or Tent for beach?

LemonPie

Hi there

As per title, what do you use and where did you get / buy it? What size and was it very expensive?

I'd like to get a decent quality one that will last over the years.

Thank you

SeaPrincess

We don't linger on the beach. We go, swim, then come home, so we just sunscreen. But I grew up in a seaside holiday town, so there was no need to stay long and I dont enjoy it.

If you must take a tent, set it up far from the water so it doesn't block people's view of their own children swimming. Even though mum always swam with us, I can still remember her complaining about the umbrellas at the waterline as the older children headed off and she got the little ones ready.

Edited by SeaPrincess
  • Like 1

Feral timtam

Ours was $25 from Kmart and is huge, we mainly use it for school sporting events as around here they mean sitting out on a school oval with zero sun protection all day.

It's about the same size as a 4 person dome tent and is really easy to set up and fold. Seems to be a decent quality, we haven't broken any part of it yet but that probably is dependant on how it is used and stored, when not in use ours lives in the boot of my car, so stays nice and protected.

• Like 2

Jembo

We have 2, we have a large Oztrail gazebo that we use if we are going someone and spending half the day. It is about 3 m x 3 m and was about $300 I think. We have had it about 4 years and been well worth the money, we use it a bit and also even just in the back yard should I need extra shade. WE also have sides for it etc.

We also have like a pop up dome one for the beach. We live in a coastal town but I still take it with me. I dont like being in the sun and have had skin cancer, so I tend to sit in it more so than the kids etc. It was about $100 ish. It is not fantastic in really bad wind as they collapse. My tip woudl be get one with an open bottom as they can get quite stuffy if it is hot sitting in them.

• Like 1

niggles

We have a pop up dome sort. We got it after our second was born in summer.and we now get lots of use out if it. It comes in a round zip up bag so I keep floaties and blow up things tucked in there too. It's so so simple to set up we don't think twice about taking it. DS had a lot of little cat naps in there all wrapped in a towel as a babe and small toddler the following year.

Coffeegirl

We have the $25 one from Kmart. Works for us well as we are not huge beach goers, but I use it at crickets all summer long.

Has one full side the roof is good, open on the other three sides for ventilation. Doesn't like wind very much and does collapse, but if you can turn it so the wind blows through two open sides, it works fine.

I'd like a better quality pop up one though as the folding 'sticks' drive me mad when we are putting it up/down

• Like 1

LittleMissPink

Ive had a kmart one (fussy to set up) and a Cancer Council pop up one (great but never had luck with it staying where i wanted it due to the round bottom shape).