PurpleButterflys4

Anyone thinking about TTC#6 or already have 6 kids?

PurpleButterflys4

Hi all,

We are currently thinking about TTC#6 but would like to discuss a few things with other like minded people. If you are considering #6 or already have #6 and are open for a chat please comment below.

chethay

We have six children, 5 boys & 1 girl. Born 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2014.

ikealover

We have 6. ds1-15, ds2-14, dd3-13, ds4-11, ds5-9, dd6-7.

6 is nice. Things come in 6s or 12s do easy for dividing :-)

HighlandPinky

I have 6 too....4 boys, 2 girls.

DS10, DS9, DD8, DS6.5, DS5 and DD3.5.

DZP

I had 6. I now have 7 :)

nayjay

I have 6 children. We lost a baby girl at 32 weeks.

DS- 17, (DD angel), DD -14, DS - 9, DS - 8, DD - 5, DS - 2.

Always amazed!

We currently have 5:)

Looking to possibility TTC 6 next year,

Ours are

ds1 7

ds2 6

dd1 & 2 4

ds3 6 mths

Edited by Always amazed!

PurpleButterflys4

Were any of you concerned about the financial aspect of more kids?

I am extremely maternal and cant seem to shake the feeling of wanting 6 kids but hubby has a major financial concern, which I understand. We have sat down and calculated all our figures but its not looking good :(

Any advice would be much appreciated.

6lilhillbillies

Hi Purple Butterflies.

We just had our 6th, now aged between 7months and 14 years.

From a financial point of view, of course it costs more. But I have gotten very good at cost cutting, and DH manages the bills on an iPad app.

I go shopping every week or two to the big centre and shop for clearance items 50 to 90 percent off. This is for clothes, shoes and toys for birthdays and Christmas.

As you can't lay-by clearance items, I shop the toy catalogues for the significant good deals, usually 50 per cent off, and lay by those for birthdays and Christmas.

I look at the Coles and Woolworths catalogues online every Wednesday and stock up on relevant half price items. I also shop these stores for clearance items, for example I recently got the Eskimo Snowball things for 50 cents a bag. I split them up for play lunches. I got high Five chicken nuggets for 1.50 down from 8 dollars. When I find stuff like this I clear the shelf :)

Also visiting Woolworths at 5pm means I get all bakery items at 75 percent off to 90 percent off. I freeze them or use the next day.

I didn't have to do this years ago with fewer kids. But now I enjoy it. It is fun to try to find the bargains. Of course it is only a bargain if you need it, but with 6 kids very little is wasted.

• Like 2

Guest canadianmum

We have six, it is wonderful!

I am putting one to bed now but I wanted to say hello and join the conversation.

4keykne

I hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread but how have you all coped with 5 kids. We have 4 and my heart aches for another. This is the only time I have had this immense desire for another child the others just "happened"!

My DH says he couldn't cope with 5 even though I do the majority of the parenting by that I mean all the homework, night waking, organisation, cooking washing cleaning etc.

I have coped much better than I thought I would probably better with 4 than 3. Am I naive to think that 5 is manageable and the world does not come crashing down on you.

nayjay
Were any of you concerned about the financial aspect of more kids?

Both DH and I work full time. Childcare costs a considerable amount of money but I feel that we should be supporting our family. It also means that we can afford to have a bigger house on 3 acres. When they are little they don't really cost much at all. It is a good time to manage money wisely and set money aside for education. Once they are at school there is always expense and when they are teenagers there is even greater expense. We have bank accounts for each of our children so that they are also learning to save money and manage money. When they are old enough they will have a part time job to also teach them to manage money and contribute to the community. To cut costs to living we are making vegetable gardens. We have our own chickens. I cook school lunch snacks on the weekend and freeze them. Clothing is purchased during sales or secondhand. I don't pay full price for clothing except for very special occasions. There are lots of areas where cost cutting can take place. I try to live a minimalistic lifestyle (still a work in progress). It reduces clutter and reduces wasted spending.

To be honest the financial side of it doesn't worry me as much as the "time management" side of having a large family. There is always a juggle and DH and I want to give the best that we have to our family. Working full time sometimes means that we feel extremely stretched. I have a very strict routine during the school term so that we can manage the extra curricular activities, house cleaning, and everything else that needs to be done, on top of work committments. During school holidays we relax. I also spend that time getting super organised for the school term so that the juggle isn't as difficult when school resumes. Sometimes my work life does take over my family life and I am still trying to get the perfect work/life balance.

I think the most important thing about having a large family is that you and your partner are a team and what one doesn't get done the other does and vice versa.

Char2283

Hi all I also have five from the ages 3 to 12 four girls and one boy :-) I love it wouldn't have it any other way I'm also ttc #6 this one is with a new partner though as he doesn't have any he is a awesome step dad to our five and deserves the reward of conceiving and being able to share the special moments from conception, but our chances are very slim due to him being told the chances of him ever having a baby naturally is almost impossible but I'm praying and hoping I can give him that :-)

As for the cost of having five I guess you just learn to priorities and go camping instead of frequent flying lol

ikealover

To me financially its not a big step to add one more, esp a baby. They get more expensive once they get to school but still its not as expensive as some make out.

There are many budgeting tips out there.

Time management is a bigger issue but as they get older they get they help out which helps. And they understand.

I know people with 2 kids who struggle.

*Lilami*

So great to hear all your stories!

We've just found out we're pregnant with #6. 3 of his, 2 of mine and now 1 of ours!

We were going to start talking about babies next year but it turns out we have a honeymoon baby!

I'll be hanging around, I'm enjoying the hints and tips :)

4keykne

In regards to time management does it get easier or harder as they grow up?

I have been told worse due to all running around to activities.

My eldest is only 8 so not sure what's ahead makes the decision as to whether any more babies should be considered hard.

luckyducky

I am so jelous.

I have 5, really would have loved one more but looks like my TTC days are over. Now 41 and don't think I am ovulating properly :(

Anyway my eldest is now 12, my youngest is 2 1/2 and I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I cant decide if I want one more. Some days I do, some days I don't. I am scared I am going to regret it.

Plus, if we had time for special cuddles hat would be a miracle... the little ones keep gatecrashing our bed, and most nights I am too exhausted. :(

Good luck to all who end up having 6 .... very jelous :)

dancermum12

I have coped much better than I thought I would probably better with 4 than 3. Am I naive to think that 5 is manageable and the world does not come crashing down on you.

I remember reading the results of some research that said it was parents of 3 children who struggled the most. One or two kids was pretty manageable. Four or more, people tended to not stress the small things so much plus the kids kind of raised each other :) But three was somewhere in the middle. So it sounds like you're not alone, and if you're doing well with 4 you're probably right - 5 would not be the end of the world for you.

Says the one who is expecting #2 and wouldn't dream of any more :)

• Like 1

AmazonBabe

I have one DSD from my first marriage and two from my second relationship. I have two DSs from my first marriage.

We will be TTC #6 at some stage in the next few years. He also wants #7 and #8 but cost will definitely be a factor due to me being the primary income earner. Child care is expensive! Plus we have private school fees for three of them, which all adds up.

Day to day stuff isn't that difficult - logistics can be fun though. Food bill is massive. But we have a 7br house, so lots of room...