Sign in to follow this  
Bearynice

Scooters and five year olds

Bearynice

Hi! Looking to get organized for twin boys fifth birthday and xmas presents.

Thinking of getting them a scooter each. Think it's something five year olds are into?

They had balance bikes, liked those. They are into their bikes, but not crazy for it (preferred balance bikes)

Was looking at toys r us they have a scooter similar to maxi micro. It's for 5-9 year olds. Has great reviews on toys r us America.

But is three wheel scooter a no no fr that age? They aren't the most coordinated kids.

Just looking for something to use their energy.

dadwasathome

There's no problem with the larger 3 wheelers at 5yo, but I think many parents are looking to improve balance and move the kids towards bikes.

Two-wheel scooters helped both my boys get the balance to move onto bikes. But from around 2.5 to 5.5 we could hardly keep DS6 off his micro. :)

hoohoobump

DS almost 5 loves his Maxi-Micro

• Like 1

F.E.B.E

I'm looking at a Maxi-Micro for DD (5) this Christmas. She had a Mini-Micro style one from Toys R US which broke as she was riding it. She has another cheapish one at the moment and although it's lasted OK, it just doesn't seem to have the steering ability that the Micro scooters do.

Especially*K*

Honestly, My 4 year old rides way better on a 2 wheeled scooter than a 3 wheeler one. He looked uncoordinated and too big for the 3 wheeler.

He's just got this standard Razor... pink and all

http://s418.photobucket.com/user/tonyab4/media/Scooters%20for%20Kids/31FZGCX-tL_AA300_.jpg.html#/user/tonyab4/media/Scooters%20for%20Kids/31FZGCX-tL_AA300_.jpg.html?&_suid=141084178959108174224259316349

• Like 1

Tinky Winky Woo

Both ours started with 3 wheeler's at 2yrs old then graduated to 2 wheelers by the time they were 4. Our 7yr old is so uncoordinated but he flies on the 2 wheeler and has done since he was 4.

I would get a 2 wheeler.

Veritas Vinum Arte

We are graduating our 7&8 yo from 3w Maxi Micro to 2w scooters this Christmas. They have really enjoyed their maxi micros

krich78

We are graduating our 7&8 yo from 3w Maxi Micro to 2w scooters this Christmas. They have really enjoyed their maxi micros

Same here. My nearly 5 year old DD will get her brothers old maxi micro when he gets a two wheel scooter.

Moonl!ght

My 5 year old loves his Maxi Micro. He likes to "feel confident" so I'm not rushing to upgrade him to a 2 wheeler, but if I was purchasing this Xmas and if he was physically confident I would go for a 2 wheeler (he has had the maxi since he was 3.5 years old). the 7 year olds on our street all have 2 wheelers and I would say by that age they would think of the Maxi as a bit babyish..?

dadwasathome

I would say by that age they would think of the Maxi as a bit babyish..?

It's not what you've got, it's how you use it! :)

A friend's child is only a week younger than DS6. He much prefers 3 wheels still - he actually has DS6's old micro. A maxi is good and solid, although I would (and have) gone for 2 wheelers for our guys.

• Like 1

Moonl!ght

It's not what you've got, it's how you use it! :)

A friend's child is only a week younger than DS6. He much prefers 3 wheels still - he actually has DS6's old micro. A maxi is good and solid, although I would (and have) gone for 2 wheelers for our guys.

Yeah, my boy loves his Maxi and so do I. He whizzes around on it very confidently. He isn't too confident on his bike and doesn't really like riding it.

I just think the 7 year olds on my street are a little image conscious and wouldn't ride - so if looking for something that will last beyond 2 years then go two wheeler but otherwise go for the Maxi.

• Like 1

123Tree

My boys are four and six and have had two wheels scooters for a while. They ride them on the footpath and my 6 year old at the skate park.

Sometimes we have a play date after school at the skate park. I find that my six year old's friends, including some four and five year olds are embarrassed to be riding three wheelers. There is no direct teasing but they feel that way. (And have said things to their mum's, get pouty etc.)

If this was going to be an issue I would save my money and go straight to a two wheeler. Besides at five the longevity of a three wheel would probably be less than a year until they want/need to upgrade.

tothebeach

I can't imagine buying a 3 wheeler for my 5 year old. He rides a 2 wheeler. But most of all he likes his mountain bike. He is better down hill than I am.

fillyjonk

My five year old has a three wheeler, as do most of his friends (up to 7ish years old).

He uses it a lot to get from place to place as I am too scared to drive in this crazy city and a lot of our activities are quite local. I ride my bike with my daughter on the back and he scoots on the footpath alongside. He is not good enough at riding for me to feel safe with him crossing roads etc if I am on my own bike.

cward

DD13 has the Micro White - now that is an awesome scooter but it's designed for older kids & right into adulthood!

my DD11 got one of these for christmas last year and so did I. I love it great for keeping up with the kids

My DD7 has a Micro maxi which she loves, She just isn't confident on the two wheelers even an old fashioned big wheel scooter my older DD had previously so we got her what she is comfortable with.

Personally if I was goign for a 2 wheel scooter I would definitely get somethingwith larger wheels just for safety. The larger wheels don't get caught in things as easily

We got ours here http://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/scooters-813 Absolutely awesome site. We got 2 Micro Whites and 1 Micro Black before Christmas last year with shipping for all three only $28. I emailed them to double check postage price as well because I couldn't beleive it

Sorry just looked and it looks like they are no longer shipping to Australia

• Like 1

lozoodle

I'd go two wheel at that age. My 3 year old is begging me for a 2 wheel for her birthday because she likes her sisters better than hers!

F.E.B.E

My 7yo doesn't care at all about taking his sisters pink 3 wheel scooter for a spin!

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

Both ours started with 3 wheeler's at 2yrs old then graduated to 2 wheelers by the time they were 4. Our 7yr old is so uncoordinated but he flies on the 2 wheeler and has done since he was 4.

I would get a 2 wheeler.

Same ages for our 3 except the youngest is only 3 and is always on the older kids 2 wheeled scooters.

I would go for a 2 wheeler personally.

DrFeral

Are you able to test ride in either a shop or a friends to see what they like riding or playing with? My DD could ride a 2 wheeled micro scooter at age 5 ( after she taught herself how to in a day or two) but older friend at age 6 really struggled and wasn't motivated to keep trying. Depends on the kid really.

4ORmore

My 5yo DD got a Razor (2 wheels - lights up when she rides) for her birthday. It was a huge upgrade from her 3 wheel plastic scooter that was slow and had terrible turning. (She wanted to keep up with her brothers 7 & 9yo) I was at first worried it would be 'too fast' for her, she is a bit short and also pretty un-coordinated; but she has been brilliant on it and loves it.

Scooters, push bikes and the balance bike all get used daily here. I think if you pay a bit extra for a good one (not the plasticy ones) i think 2 or 3 wheel scooters would be a great present.

F.E.B.E

That http://www.bike-discount.de/ site looks like it does send to Australia?

It is giving me a price of $128 Australian with shipping for a Micro Maxi which is much cheaper than I have seen anywhere else.

Jenflea

I'm sure David Jones had the Micro for $128 about 10 days ago.

I was surprised at how cheap it was compared to the toy shop I'd originally seen them at.

cward

That http://www.bike-discount.de/ site looks like it does send to Australia?

It is giving me a price of $128 Australian with shipping for a Micro Maxi which is much cheaper than I have seen anywhere else

you could be right. As I said I got scooters shipped from there last year (took about 14 days from memory) but now it is saying "Unfortunately, due to legal restrictions the product can’t be send to the country of destination chosen by you.

Won't even let me put anything in my cart.

I paid about $190 each for the Micro White/Black including delivery. Quoted price on Micro Australian website $289.95

i paid $138 for my Micro Maxi. Quoted price on Australian site $189.95. I think this one would have worked out cheaper if I had ordered it with the others because the delivery price was similar

Buggylicious

My not long turned 6yr old boy would be really embarrassed to be seen on a 3 wheeler by his friends and would've been for probably the last 18 months. My 3yr old DD is starting to ask for a 2 wheeler one over her 3 wheeler.

• Like 1

Gem_23

I'm trying to buy a Micro Sprite for my 5yo daughter but the above site keeps saying they can't send to Australia. Is there another site to buy the Micro scooters or is there another brand that is similar?