spring-chicken

Heartbroken - 6.5yo DD's hair just won't grow!

spring-chicken

So as the post title says DD is 6.5 years old, and has very, very little hair. She was never a complete baldy from birth, but the fine baby hair she does have has grown paaaaaiiiiinnnnfully slowly. She past her sixth birthday a few months ago. What she currently has is hair that is a) very, very fine, like baby hair, and b) short (some hair at the back of her hair has reacher her neckline but the hair on top hasn't reached her ears yet). Also it's not very full. I have a photo of almost exactly 3 years ago, and she has grown maybe 2 inches of hair in all that time, and only maybe 1 inch since this time last year. Her hair is a lovely unusual coppery colour that many people have commented on.

Sadly, some people have mistaken her for a boy (combination of short hair and terrible school uniform), which kills her. Of course, she is a girly-girl, adores Rapunzel, and is dying for flowing locks!

The only other thing that might be relevant is: she had cradle cap as a baby, which persisted for months but she outgrew it by the time she was a toddler. She does have some slight skin sensitivities (e.g. sensitive to insect bites, gets wind-rash easily) but nothing major.

I have asked 2 hairdressers, and they both said: just wait, it will grow... But she's 6, and all the other girls in the school have long and/or thick hair. The few with short hair are short by choice (thick chin-length bob cuts). She's so, so far from anything like that! And nothing seems to have changed in 6 years. Not growing faster or slower or thicker or falling out... just terribly terribly slow growing.

I have done some online searches and here are the theories:

1) it's genetic, so the child's hair will grow like Mum's/Dad's - only both mine, and DH's (and DS's) hair growth from childhood through to adulthood was unremarkable. I remember being her age and having Mum brush my long thick hair and style it into plaits, same as my sister. I even checked old family and school photos in case I was mis-remembering! DS had fine hair but it had turned into thick boy hair by kindy.

2) dietary insufficiencies - DD has a relatively healthy diet, as much fruit and veg as I can get into her, she doesn't love dairy but overall pretty good balance of foods, including proteins. She hates juice, cordial etc. and will only drink water or milk.

3) cut it - we've tried this just once, 6 months ago, a small trim so she wouldn't feel left out. Had no effect.

4) excessive breakage - DD used to twirl her hair around her finger while she slept, and sometimes yanked out little tufts if they got knotted on her finger, which was so frustrating as it broke and pulled out some of her very precious hair of which there was so little. As consequence, we have brushed and styled it very little, almost never using elastics/clips, so as to not break the hair any further. Not that they will stay in, anyway... there's nothing to grip!!! She almost never twirls her hair in her sleep any more.

5) Hair products - we don't shampoo every day, as the suggestion I read was that that would strip out too many natural oils, and she doesn't need it every day anyway. As a baby we used Curash 2-in-1, now DD washes with J&J no-more-tears, or sometimes plain normal Palmolive shampoo, and plain normal conditioner.

6) genetic syndromes - only she doesn't fit any of the major categories (e.g. no physical or growth abnormalities that go along with certain syndromes, nor skin/eyelash abnormalities of other syndromes).

DD is average height and weight, had a normal development all through childhood and is a clever (and delightful and affectionate) little girl... with almost no hair...

Any ideas about what to do next? See a GP? Dermatologist? Anyone have experience with this before? What did you do? Did it help?

Sigh...

coolbreeze

Your dd might have short anagen syndrome (sas)

I am pretty sure my dd who is 11 has this. She has only had trims of a couple of cm every couple of years. Her fine, blonde hair is finally to the tip of her shoulders. We have not cut it for about three years this time. She has finally lost her baby fuzz hair this year.

Puberty seems to help correct this condition and this is the first year of puberty for my dd. The length and texture is improving gradually. More so this year with puberty onset.

I belong to a SAS Facebook page, you may want to take a look.

My dd has never been too worried about her short hair, but it was harder when she started ballet/school. I brought lots of tiny baby clips to help when she was your dd's age. Plus she did lots of play acting with my pantyhose on her head! I also brought her some play wigs.

I too wondered why on earth my dd"s hair didn't grow and got told many times to be patient! This year I am finally seeing some improvement.

HTH

CB

Edited by coolbreeze
  • Like 3

coolbreeze

Oh just re read the breakage issue with your dd's hair. This is loose anagen syndrome(las)

You can have loose and short combined or just one or the other. Mine just has the short syndrome.

Google both of them.

CB

Edited by coolbreeze
  • Like 1

nani*smumma

Oh I can relate to this. My dd is 5 in October and her hair is taking sooo long to grow. She would love long hair and it doesn't help that my 6 year old dd has long straight hair.

She offer gets mistaken for a younger child and that's hard because it's then awkward when you say she is nearly 5.

I worry about her starting school next year and getting teased etc.

Otherwise she is a healthy happy girl. No health problems at all.

I guess I just need to keep building up her self esteem and hope it grows one day.

Do you have a photo of your dd? I have one but not sure how to display it.

• Like 1

seepi

My kids' hair grows very slowly. Two of them anyway.

Not as slow as your daughter, but it took until maybe 4 or 5 til my Dd could have a ponytail of any sort. She used to play with scarves on her head and make me plait them instead.

Your daughter's hair does sound even slower growing - but don't feel that every other child at school with short hair has chosen that.

• Like 1

a letter to Elise.

My DS has the same issue. I never realised there was a name for it, but his hair just doesn't grow! He has a section on his crown where it grows thicker and longer, but still not like normal hair. On the sides and front he has little tufts of baby hair. He has had it tidied 3 times, but has never needed a proper haircut. he just turned 5.

He wants a hairstyle like his friends who have longer shaggy styles, and gets upset that he can't grow it.

• Like 1

krich78

It's hard isn't it. My DD is nearly 5 and her hair is still very fine and not yet shoulder length. It's also curly so looks shorter than it is. I'm sure it will grow in time but it's hard when most of the other little girls have long thick hair. I don't want her to be self conscious about it.

• Like 1

what-ever

My dd was practically bald at birth. Her hair was like baby hair and very short when starting prep. I thought it would never grow! She only had her first haircut at around 7 I think (just fringe trim). She is now 14 and has thick hair to bra strap length. It's taken 14 years to grow, but its great now. (Full of split ends tho as she has only had 2 or 3 trims in her life). I used to put little dainty pink clips in it as she was also distressed about being mistaken for a boy). I also know other people who had their child's ears pierced and allowed some nice simple earrings, however we waited until dd was 12 for ear piercing. Good luck!

• Like 1

spring-chicken

Thanks for all your replies, everyone. Wow, I'd never heard of short anagen syndrome or loose anagen syndrome. I've googled them now, very interesting. I think I'll take DD to the GP and see if she'll refer us to a dermatologist for testing.

Thanks too for those who share our experience, it helps to know we're not the only ones. Maybe I'll pass that on to DD, when the time is right...

FeralZombieMum

Also ask the GP to test for Coeliac disease. It's an autoimmune disease that can affect absorption of nutrients.

• Like 2