mamaj180

Thoughts on planning my home birth

mamaj180

Hey everyone Im now 22 weeks pregnant and everything is going along fine. Saw my midwife the other day and we were chatting away and she mentioned how she would'nt call herself a home birth midwife She just prefers to look after women at home and no drs around. Anyway she really thought it was a good idea to have a birth pool as with my three previous vbacs I have had the epidural. The first two it wore off and then last time it didnt take effect as I was to far dilated. She said the pool would be good for pain relief and the pressure of pushing to early. Also I have a stage one uterine prolapse and the gravity of being in the pool would help. But the thing is im not to keen on the idea of giving birth in one im not big on baths in general. I did tell her I would like to birth on all fours like last time. In the end I said we may as well hire one as at least its there if I need to use it. I must admit I am starting to get bit nervous regarding the pain in labour. Any ladies have any advice on what helped them. Midwife keeps reminding me there is no pain relief at home.

Pinky101

Hi mamaj180,

I'm not having a home birth, but I did just attend a Calmbirth course run by a doula who attends home births (and her own last birth was a home birth). The two other couples in the course were also having home births.

We saw some really great videos of home births in a birth pool. The doula did say that sometimes, even though the pool is set up, the woman does not want to go in and prefers to give birth elsewhere.

I definitely recommend getting one, because it just gives you another option. You never know what you'll want to do during labour.

I can also highly recommend doing a Calmbirth course. It has made me much more confident about having a drug free birth this time.

My Calmbirth teacher works with a midwife who does the home births, so your midwife may be able to recommend someone who runs a course too. Not sure where you're located, but I did my course in Brisbane and can give you the details if you want.

suline

I had a planned homebirth - " my pain relief" included wheat pack/hotwaterbottles, birth pool - and wow, that was amazing! The birth pool is inflatable so really soft under your knees, and you can just use it for labour, and climb out to birth if you wish. I also found Being in the shower, and I hired a TENS machine which I was skeptical of but I found it really took the edge of the contractions.

I read and practiced a few of juju sundins birth skills and found some of the breathing and humming helped take my mind off things during early labour.

And strangely enough I had a terry towel I was biting on and breathing through

good luck!

• Like 1

tick

I had a VBAC at home two years ago, my midwife also wanted me to have a birth pool, although I wasn't particularly interested in the idea as I'm not keen on baths either.

We blew it up and filled it up when I was in labour, I even got in for a while, but it was a bit "meh" really. I wanted it to be deeper! I couldn't get comfortable in there at all but that was kind of an ongoing theme. I hung out there when I was in transition but got out to give birth. I definitely preferred the shower to the pool but in the end the baby was born on the couch.

I think it's strange that your midwife keeps harping on about there being no pain relief at home. Sure there is! There's massage, heat packs, tens machines, hot showers, some midwives like to do those sterile water injections ..... I used a tens machine for a while and quite liked it. The whole thing hurt like hell but when there's no drugs on offer you just get the job done without them, ya know? You'll do great, you've had plenty of practice by the sound of it!

• Like 1

deejie

I think it's strange that your midwife keeps harping on about there being no pain relief at home. Sure there is! There's massage, heat packs, tens machines, hot showers, some midwives like to do those sterile water injections ..... I used a tens machine for a while and quite liked it.

I find it strange your midwife keeps talking about this as well. Is she trying to be supportive or put fear and doubt in your mind?!?!

The other thing to consider is finding someone who can do acupressure points. My midwife with my first homebirth did this and oh my goodness it was amazing, it reduced the pain of each contraction and made them something resembling manageable towards the end when they were coming right on top of each other.

For me, the biggest form of "pain relief" was being in the right mental place. A big part of this is having a birth support team around you who believes in you and you believe in them. Do you feel you have this rapport with your current midwife?

mamaj180

I am going to be honest here. But after that conversation with her left me with some doubt. I keep thinking about what she said. But there isn't much I can do really now. Ive already paid the full fee upfront. I feel like I connect more with the birth photographer.

One of the many reasons I chose to have a home birth this time was to have choices and be supported. In hospital they always questioned me. While in labour I just couldn't get into the "zone" as I kept thinking Im on time limit here with drs I've got to hurry up and birth this baby or they will threaten me with a csection.

Midwife wants me to call her as soon as I go into labour. But maybe it would be a good idea to wait awhile until my contractions are more closer together intense ect..

mamaj180

Also I feel like sometimes if I call her or contact her with a question that maybe Im bugging her or something :down: