Sign in to follow this  
Raincloud

Even more home birth questions!

Raincloud

I am preparing for my home birth in early December.

Anyone got any practical tips for during/after labour? (We have a cleaner already. I'm going to freeze meals beforehand. That's all I can think of!)

How far in advance should I set up the birth pool? Does it have to be in a room right next to a tap? If I give birth on the floor should I use an old mattress to birth on (I've got an old cot mattress I could throw out afterwards) what kind of atmosphere did you have (candles, soft lights etc)?

suline

Hi, our birth pool we hired had a hose attachment and a pump, and needed to be within about 4meters of a water supply. We also had a thermometer to keep the bath water at a steady temp. We had it set up in the living room near the kitchen island. You also need to take into consideration space around the pool so that the midwife has easy access from all angles.

I had stacks of frozen ice and fruit juice, teas, cordial coconut water etc, so I had a good choice in labour to keep me hydrated. I had candles and oil, and found that I didn't want them, I laboured in the day mostly.

I had a hot pack but couldn't tolerate the time it took my DH to reheat it so he always had a ho water bottle ready to go so I could use that while he microwaved the hot pack.

I needed a bucket for spewing!

I found in the days afterward I really didn't want too many visitors, I was very overwhelmed with them. My DHs family is Asian and large, and they work long hours, so they would turn up at 8 9 10 at night, and want to see the baby. They made lots of comments about why is she crying, she must be hungry, but the would never leave her alone so I could feed her. I was not in a good headspace to stand up for myself and her. and in the end it caused a lot of tension and a fight between my DH and his parents. So make sure you have a set plan for visiting that both of you are happy with and stick to it. I coped much better by the third week and could have hosted them for a few hours at a time.