Sign in to follow this  
mummymarvin

Positive drug free birth story - an affirmation of sorts

mummymarvin

Sorry in advance for the essay!

With the impending arrival of my third child, I wanted to recount the birth story of my second in an attempt to help me for this one. I haven't had much time to think or plan this time around, but thought that maybe writing this down would help remind me of the experience of her birth. A similar outcome would be wonderful.

DD1's birth wasn't traumatic but was far different from what I envisaged. Waters broke at 37 weeks, labour didn't advance, b**chy midwives who sent me home, and then a "cascade" of intervention 24 hourse later i.e. induction drip, peth, epi, ventouse delivery followed. I was left disheartened, confused and really unsure about the whole process. It resulted in having some difficulty in establishing a bond with my baby girl, which I only realised after the birth of DD2.

On the contrary, DD2's birth was a life changing time for me. I did a birthing skills course (similar to calm birth), prepared physically and mentally. I was focussed on a natural birth. I agreed to a S&S at 40w -2d as my blood pressure was creeping up. My OB was making noises that she didn't want me to go "over".

The S&S was intense, but ultimately effective. The following morning the cramping intensified and by 11am the contractions were consistent enough that I had to start paying attention. I felt calm and in control. I was in regular contact with my DH who had gone to work and about 2pm I suggested he come home. I wanted to make sure it was the real thing. At 4pm I rang the hospital and talked them through what was happening. Contractions very manageable but consistently around 5-7 minutes. They suggested I come in due to my blood pressure (I was unmedicated) however I didn't feel ready. I was keen to have some degree of progression by the time I got to hospital so I let them know I'd stay in contact but for now was keen to stay home. We went for a walk to the beach (only about 500m) and I remember very clearly staring out to sea breathing through contractions at this stage. At one point I told DH that we should return home.

We arranged for DD1 to head off to SIL's. I stayed in the lounge room swaying, leaning on the wall, on all fours, changing positions often. I spent time in the warm shower.

By 10pm DH was antsy and was keen to get me to the hospital. I was contracting every 3-4 minutes at this stage.

We arrived and I somehow realised that I'd left my yellow card and handbag at home. Still feeling in control, I sent DH back home to get it! (30 minute round trip). In the meantime the MWs checked my and confirmed I was 4-5 cms dilated. That news was met with relief but also anguish, I felt like I'd been working hard for quite a few hours.

MWs asked me what my pain relief strategy was and I replied without hesitation that I didn't want any.

At some point I got in the bath which felt fabulous. I love to swim and I think that the water made me feel safe and light. I lay on my back and for each contraction rolled to the side gripping DH's arm fairly fiercely. It always surprises me the time that passes in birth stories. In reality hours are passing, but at the time, it felt like a natural pace. At around 1am my water broke. I felt ready to get out of the bath.

8cm dilated and I was starting to feel overwhelmed. 2:30ish and I was transitioning, shaking like a leaf, leaning over the side of the bed with my DH apply pressure to my hips with the heels of his hands with each surge to offset/distract from the pain of the contraction.

Midwives were very reassuring, staying with me for the first time in my labour and giving all kinds of encouragement. I faltered, feeling like I couldn't do it anymore, but the midwives assured me that I was doing great and travelling nicely. I noticed OB hadn't arrived (mine wasn't on duty that weekend and worked a rotating roster so was awaiting someone I hadn't met before.) But my little girl had other ideas and all of a sudden I knew she was very close. Midwife asked me where and how I wanted to birth. Given I had been leaning forward over the bed, on all fours on the bed seemed like the most natural position in the world. The thought of going on to my back was out of the question at this point. A final checked confirmed that I was fully dilated and with only 3 pushes and a sound from me like a wounded cow as she crowned, she arrived at around 2:45, with the midwife helping me to turn over to sitting and handing me my gorgeous little girl.

With that the OB arrived to assist through the third stage (placenta). No stitches or tears.

I was overwhelmed with a sense of achievement and love, things that I hadn't felt first time around. DD2 is about to turn 3 and I look back on her birth as one of the best experiences of my life.

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far. This time I'm with a midwife group practice. I'm open as to what may or may not transpire with this birth, but I'm glad I'll have two very different experiences under my belt for the journey this time around.

I thought that others too may find some insight in a detailed account.

• Like 4

Goggie

Love it, thanks for sharing :)

Joeyanne33

Wow mummymarvin what an experience. Thanks for sharing the birth of your daughter with us :)

Sign in to follow this  

Announcements