Sign in to follow this  
MumaDee

Uni?

MumaDee

Hi!

I am due to have my baby in mid august time, so not in a hurry. But I was wondering how long after having ur bub did you apply/start/go back to uni?? (If anyone was wondering how I will pay, my parents made a deal with me last night, that if I wanted to got to uni they would pay.)

Thx :)

Tooties

I was already studying when I got pregnant but I did an exam when youngest was 4 weeks.

It will depend what you study - how many contact hours you have, what the reading/study load is and what help you have looking after bub. Added to that, it will matter how well your bub sleeps and how much sleep you need to function. Some bubs are easier than others.

I say go for it, there will always be a reason not to study, kids keep you busy and distracted but if you're going to do it, there has to be a point you just do it.

cira

6 weeks but i had lots of support and eventually a nanny.

~Mintie~

I was already studying and continued through my pregnancy and newborn stage. I submitted an assignment when I was in hospital after giving birth :lol: It was hard but manageable.

Nepheline

Studied about till 34 weeks ish of pregnancy, and then went back when my baby was around 6 months old. I've had to employ a nanny as no family support and no available daycare, so it's turning out to be a VERY expensive degree!

Lou-bags

It will depend what you study - how many contact hours you have, what the reading/study load is and what help you have looking after bub. Added to that, it will matter how well your bub sleeps and how much sleep you need to function. Some bubs are easier than others.

This.

I was part way through a post grad research degree when I fell pregnant. There was no way I could leave my son with anyone until he was about 6 to 7 months old as he fed 2 hourly during the day and would not under any circumstances take a bottle. Once he started solids, this changed (feeding frequency dropped, and he accepted a bottle finally! I think he had the epiphany that food can actually come from someone other than mum! haha).

I think undergrad would have been different though, as the contact hours were far fewer (my post grad research is essentially a full time job), and with holidays and study breaks it would have been manageable. Assuming I'd had someone who could care for him during the day.

I'd be tempted to say apply, but then reserve your final decision until you meet your little one and figure out what he/she is likely to accommodate, and what you are happy to do. You can always defer.

Edited by Lou-bags
  • Like 1

Tigerdog

It would be different for everyone, the main thing being the availability of child care.

MumaDee

Thank You all!!

Im going to wait until after bub is born to see what is like. I will probably apply for next! (I will prefer that, us thats when most of my friends will go!)

just roses

I don't belong in this thread but just wanted to wish you all the best.

I'd say definitely apply for S1 next year and, if possible, choose a uni that gives you the option to study online. And, depending on the course you're interested in, start with just two subjects at a time, just to see how you go.

Do you know what you want to do?

MumaDee

Do you know what you want to do?

Ummm not really yet! i have a few ideas

silverbells

I went two years after DD was born, really tough being away from her with all the studying on top of actually being there but I got through it and it was definitely worthwhile.

Rhoxie

I was in the middle of a course so I think I had maybe a couple of weeks off then I went back. Daycare had no places so I just took him with me. A place became available when he was three months old at the uni daycare centre. He was breastfeeding so I just went back and forth between daycare and classes. (He's now 17).

For my second degree I started when my youngest was 7 months of age. There were no places at the uni daycare so my friend took care of him. (He's now 10).

I had no family support at all for the first degree and for the second my husband helped as did my friend.

SeaPrincess

I went back to uni before I had children, so during the course, I had 3 babies! I also wrote a major assignment in hospital, but it was mid pregnancy, due to complications. All up, it took me 8 years, including 2 years off in between having 2nd and 3rd babies.