Sign in to follow this  
Raincloud

More Homebirth questions.

Raincloud

For those who had a planned Homebirth, which room did you decide to give birth in and why? Was it just where the baby came out? Did you use a birth pool? Was there much mess?

I'm worried about bleeding everywhere because I've had a minor PPH after each birth, so was thinking of using a birth pool but then DH said I'd be sitting in a pool of my own blood. Will I care though?

TheFirstNoel

I had planned to birth in my own bedroom, no pool (I wasn't interested). I like the quiet and dark and curling up on my bed trying to ignore the world/pain!

I ended up in the bath because my labour was harder and longer than I anticipated - he was born there. Easy to just let the water out (yes it got dirty and it did bother me - I actually had them empty it just before he was born because it was bothering me and I didn't want my baby born into dirty water...) It wasn't really bad or bloody.

If it's a PPH could you use the pool mainly for labour and get out just before/straight after bubs is born?

Anyway, the midwives are great at cleaning any messes. One of my midwives scrubbed my bath clean afterwards!

Raincloud

Yeah she did say that I might not be able to birth in the pool because it will be hard to tell how much blood I've lost afterwards.

I don't have a bath unfortunately. :( If my labour is anything like my last one I will have to be kneeling as the pressure in my lower back got too much and I couldn't sit. So maybe I can just kneel on the floor or something.

How do they empty a birth pool if I bleed in there? WIll they just drain it into my garden?????

• Like 1

Raincloud

Can you tell it's my DH asking all the questions about the gore and the pool? LOL

My labours have been pretty quick and I've managed by being active (ie going from different rooms in the house and swearing at DH) so I'm not sure if I should bother with the pool at all especially if I can't give birth in there.

I've heard that water softens everything down below though so there is a reduced chance of tearing? Not sure!

HighlandPinky

Both times i planned on birthing in the sitting room in the pool. Decision made due to a lack of other options.

The first homebirth i birthed before the pool could be filled, and just as my midwife ran through the door, so DS was born with me sitting/lying on an armchair, with a tarp and a couple of towels underneath me. The towels were a write off, but they were kmart cheapies anyway, my midwife did take them home and attempt to clean them though (and offer to replace them, which i obviously declined....i didn't even realise she took them lol). I'm unsure what happened to the tarp (presumably hosed off my DH), there was no mess on the floor or anywhere else.

Second homebirth was in the pool, so all the mess stayed there.

Having had 1 waterbirth, and 5 land births, TBH, i'd probably birth on land if i were to have another. The water didn't really do anything for me, pain wise. I didn't tear with my waterbirth, but i didn't tear with the other 5 either, so i can't really compare.

CountryBumpkin

Birthed in the lounge room. In a birth pool - which only got dirty once bleeding started post birth, i had a small PPH and i got out before i got too light headed and curled up on the couch with hubby and bub. Water was taken away (the part of the garden that got the water grew, and it never grew well before that!) I think it was easier birthing in the pool as mess was contained.

deejie

Birthed in the main bedroom-- we have a large main bedroom with en suite so I had easy access to shower/toilet.

Cheap blue plastic tarps were on the floor (I just got them from Bunnings). The birth pool was set up, but it was still filling when my waters broke and DS2 came in an almighty rush-- I never did make it in there!

Even though I birthed leaning up against the bed over a blue tarp, the "mess" really was minimal. The best thing is, it's part of the midwife's job description-- all cleaned up before she left :)

ekbaby

Gave birth in the lounge room, as it was the only room the birth pool would fit- we were living in a unit.

Used a birth pool and it was great- I hadn't had a water birth before. I wasn't necessarily fussed either way about whether I ended up having a water birth or not, but once I got in the pool I couldn't bear to get out. I found the crowning stage was much more comfortable in the pool compared to my first birth.

I got out of the pool within about 5 minutes of the baby being born, because it was a little bit on the cold side (DP had filled it in a hurry) and I didn't want the baby to get cold. We emptied the birth pool into the garden, it should be good for the garden! The water wasn't really very bloody at all, just a little bit dirty. We had a single bed in the lounge room set up as a day bed, we put plastic from Bunnings on the mattress under the sheets and then made the bed up like normal, with a conni pad and a bluey on top.

My parents (who arrived about an hour after the birth) emptied the birth pool, chucked out some of the towels and took some home to wash (I'd collected a stash of op shop/hand me down cheapies before the birth, so I didn't care if some got wrecked). The birth pool had also been sitting on some plastic from Bunnings, that got chucked. There wasn't really any other mess. The midwife takes the birth pool home with her, and cleans them properly between clients. You can also get birth pool liners, which some midwives prefer.

I will have a birth pool available this time again, but flexible about whether it ends up being used or not, if it's another quick birth maybe not time. Hot water has been our biggest issue. I think I might borrow an urn this time....

Raincloud

How long does it take to fill it up?

apple702

On the topic of towels, protective sheets etc, how many do you think would be a good amount?

I've kept a few old ones that were due to be down-cycled to rags but wondering if it's enough.

TheFirstNoel

haha, my DH was concerned about the gore! You should have seen how many tarps we had over the carpet! The midwives threw towels in the washing machine and other stuff in the bin. Honestly, we didn't use many at all...

Do you have a shower? What about a nice padded kneeling pad in the shower? Easy to turn off after if you bleed. I looooooooooved the shower but ran out of hot water. I normally don't like the baths but posterior labour changed that!

My #3 was quick (3 hrs from woah to go), #4 was double that - and 10X as painful!

• Like 1