Sign in to follow this  
Mrs Q

Home birth costs how much?

Mrs Q

Just wanted to quickly ask those who have had, or are having, a home birth - roughly how much does it cost all-up?

I have been having a read on the internet and had a look at sites like homebirthsydney.com.au and knowyourmidwife.com.au, and it seems the figure is about $4000-$5000. If this is correct, it would be out of our financial capacity at this stage (unfortunately).

Do you think this figure is a fair indication of what the costs are likely to be? (We are in Sydney metro).

Thanks for any advice you can give!

• Like 1

Raincloud

Do you have PHI? You might get a rebate from them. Also check with medicare to see how much the rebate is.

I'm going through the Midwifery program here in Wa so it is completely free.

Edited by Raincloud

apple702

I'm in Sydney and expect to end up nearly $4k out of pocket after Medicare rebates. Will have to update on that after it's all claimed.

So far for me it's worth it but am lucky to be able to afford my choice in care. it's around the same cost as going private for me as my health fund doesn't cover an OB.

Another One, it still may be worth calling some midwives and discussing their fees and payment arrangements if it's something you really want? Not sure what others charge.

CountryBumpkin

I had my HB in 2011, my midwife wasnt medicare eligible at the time. Her fees were $5000. She has since put them up, last i heard was 12 months ago they were $5500. But she was taking the steps to become medicare eligible. This is in WA, i was a HBAC so limited to who i could hire - although she was amazing. She ended up being restricted from attending HBACS 8 hours after my daughter was born :( We paid ours off over the pregnancy and the last chunk from the baby bonus.

• Like 1

Strawberry freddo

I had a homebirth in Sydney, I believe it cost about $4000 out of pocket after Medicare rebate for a Medicare eligible midwife.

Was $5500 before rebates.

We also claimed it as a medical expense on our tax return.

MoonPie

I was quoted $5000 in WA. I ended up birthing with an eligible midwife (medicare rebate-able) in a public hospital and it was perfect. Cost around $2500 out of pocket, paid off over the pregnancy. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Mrs Q

Thanks everyone for the replies. With those kind of costs, I am not sure it is something we can do.

Would be lovely to be in WA with the midwifery program that gives you a homebirth for free. Oh well...

savannah_8

Another option would be going public through the midwifery program (or caseload in vic) it was free for us. it's probably the most relaxed birth you can get in a hospital as its very personal and you will have the same midwife throughout your pregnancy and birth. Most hospitals will have a birthing pool etc and can feel very homey.

Etcetera

When I looked into it it was going to be $4000 which unfortunately I couldn't justify at the time. I still wish I'd gone with it though!

Mrs Q

Another option would be going public through the midwifery program (or caseload in vic) it was free for us. it's probably the most relaxed birth you can get in a hospital as its very personal and you will have the same midwife throughout your pregnancy and birth. Most hospitals will have a birthing pool etc and can feel very homey.

Do you mean Midwifery Group Practice? That is what I had for my last pregnancy. Went through the public hospital, was allocated a midwife who I saw for all the checkups. She was supposed to be there for the labour/birth, and postnatal stuff too. I have no issues with that model of care, but in my case the midwife wasn't there for the labour/birth because it was an accidental home birth with nobody around to help (just too quick). Immediately after the baby popped out, I was told to quickly get myself and baby to the hospital for checks, and when all was deemed ok we were allowed to go home again.

The only thing I didn't like about that was the fact that after giving birth I wasn't able to just relax, have skin-to-skin time, and all that immediate post-birth stuff that *ideally* you should have. All I did was catch the baby, wrap the baby up, and then hurry up and get in the car and go to the hospital where the baby was looked over and so was I. There wasn't any real time for me to be with the baby like you would normally if you gave birth at the hospital, or in a planned homebirth.

I am foreseeing that another quick accidental homebirth might happen (it might not, but I need to at least consider the possibility), and was trying to work out the best way to handle the labour/birth part. I thought a homebirth might be the answer, but financially we probably can't do that.

If it happened like my previous birth again, I'd like to catch the baby, and then go and lie down on my bed and relax with the baby for a while before having to go off to hospital for all the checks. I'm not thinking the hospital would be so keen for me to do that, so I don't know what other option I have. Even last time, the hospital was very anxious about me getting there quickly, and rang me a couple of times to check that I was on my way. I don't think they would be happy with me taking my time and relaxing before driving there.

MadamDivine

I did case load in SA... MIdwifery Group Practice but ours allows home births.

mind you I had similar experience with no midwife attending the labour as it was way way to quick... but the midwife was on her way so I didnt have to leave the house, she checked us over when she arrived. and stayed for a couple of hrs to make sure I was ok, then visited daily for 4 days, then 2 daily for 2 visits and eventually stopped coming after about 5 weeks.

Nepheline

Are you in the catchment for the Royal Hospital for Women in Randwick? I'm not 100% sure but I think you can have a government funded homebirth through them..

Mrs Q

Are you in the catchment for the Royal Hospital for Women in Randwick? I'm not 100% sure but I think you can have a government funded homebirth through them..

No, not in the catchment for RHW unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though!