Crooked Frame

Describe your first date with your DH/W/P (spin-off)

Crooked Frame

Title is self explanatory. Thought it was cute reading that some of the stories from the "worst date" thread ended in marriage. It's always nice to reminisce, so I'll share mine:

We met on Facebook. She saw my profile picture on an "attending" list on a local event and thought I was cute, so she friended me and struck up a conversation.

Our first date was actually very spur of the moment. I invited her to the meet me at a local pub where I was attending a farewell for a friend who was going overseas. We ended up sitting next to a man with eye-wateringly bad BO for 45 minutes, before it was polite to leave. We went and sat in the nearby park together, chatting awkwardly while we waited for her brother to call her (she was getting a lift home with him). It got uncharacteristically cold for the time of year as the sun set, so I invited her back to my house where she met my housemates who were grinning from ear to ear because I'd finally started dating again and then we went back to my room while my housemates blasted The Cure by Tegan and Sara and we had our first kiss.

She remembers this date so happily, whereas I remember how awkward and anxious I felt haha.

Share yours!

Edited by Crooked Frame
  • Like 1

Redhead78

My now husband was living in a different town when we first met. He drove 1 1/2 hrs to take me out to the movies for our first date. Unfortunately he forgot his wallet so I had to pay for the evening. Poor guy was so embarrassed. To top off the evening he got a speeding fine on the way home!

We've now been together 14 years, married for 10, and I still rib him about that night :-)

• Like 2

fr0g

My DH made me dinner at his flat in 1993. Curried tomato soup. It was delicious. That's all I remember!

TwoHeadedGirl

My story is one of pure class.

So, the first night we met; He happened to be staying with a good friend of mine who was having some birthday drinks/BBQ at her place. I remember being freezing, it was the middle of winter in Melbourne, and I found a random jacket laying inside so I borrowed it. Turned out to be future DHs.

I don't remember much after that. We were young and liked our vodka too much. I remember waking up the next morning trapped under his arm and layed there for way too long plotting how I was meant to escape... Guess I never really did.

Edited by TwoHeadedGirl

Hypnic Jerk

We met at work. He was a manager and I was a student on placement.

We had done a few things socially together in groups and at one of these we were talking and both said we wanted to see The Wedding Singer. So it was arranged.

I stressed out over what to wear (didn't want to look like I was trying too hard) while he hung out in the communal lounge of the hostel I lived in.

We saw the movie, had a cuppa afterwards he took me up to Monument Hill. Nothing. I took him to a lookout I'd been shown by flatmates. Still nothing. Not to be outdone he took me to another lookout out of town. Sick of waiting I jumped him. It was a long night.

I then had to go to my Nannas birthday that morning.

Then I had to see him at work Monday morning blushing.

Then I had to see him at the gym and pretend to be fit. The b*st*rd waited ages before côming to speak to me and I just about died keeping up the charade.

Edited by DameFeral2inaboat
  • Like 1

Mamabug

My beau and I are 'older', so no great shenanigans!

We knew each other as friends before we separated from our spouses and became involved.

We planned an actual 'date', on one of our child-free weekends (we are both primary carers).

We ended up in the ED as I tried to bleed out with a post-op heamorrhage and he supported me while they stripped me naked, put a femoral line in and transfused me....

So romantical!!!!

• Like 5

eigne

We met online and 4 months later had our first date on NYE. We met in the city (under the flinders st clocks) for lunch but as his accent was a lot thicker I had a lot of trouble understanding him so I pretty much did a monologue for a hour and a half, nodding whenever he spoke! We both had chicken salad.

He was wearing a navy tshirt and I had a blue dress with white polka dots. That was 7.5 years ago.

Pull Up A Beanbag

We went and saw that movie about the book by douglas adams. Always have a towel, meaning of life is 42. I've had a complete brain blank on the name!!

We then went and ordered dinner. The waitress hit him in the head with the plate of duck and noodle stirfry that I had ordered. :thumbs:

Describes our relationship ever since pretty well. Slightly left of centre with random outbursts of hilarious "violence"

• Like 2

eigne

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

DZP

(We were early teens) I waited at the train station for 3 hours and then called my dad to pick me up because he hadn't shown up. As my dad pulled up, he finally got there. We ended up not going anywhere, just went back to my house for dinner.

I have no idea what his excuse was for being so late, but he's not really got much better almost 20 years later. He still says he'll be somewhere at a certain time and always seems to be running late for everything. The good thing now is we have mobiles.

Madeline's Mum

DH and I met at his house one night bc my best friend used to date his best friend and we went to hang out after our other plans got cancelled. He was out at the pub drinking and I was considering accepting his friend's advances. Then DH came home early and I knew there was something special about him.

I cracked onto him in my not so subtle way and he was too shy and drunk to realise. The next day my best friend sent her ex-bf my number to pass on to his mate (my now DH) but the 'friend' didn't do it.

So the next Friday I stalked him to his local pub and asked why he never texted me. He was very confused and upset that his friend would block him like that and he told me I was the most beautiful girl who has ever spoken to him and he couldn't believe I wanted his number.

The first actual date was a week later when he took me for ice cream and a walk along one of my favorite beaches. I knew almost right away he was the one, he was so upfront and honest and not into playing games or the big-man role like so many other guys I had dated.

Lucky my original plans that night got cancelled ;)

• Like 1

merleauponty

We met at a friend's drinks in a pub courtyard in Newtown. We talked books the whole night so we started our first date browsing happily at our local bookstore. Then to a moody cocktail bar where had way too many cocktails and not nearly enough food (tapas). I got drunk and flirty and pashed him. I didn't realise at the time this would have absolutely mortified him - he doesn't do public displays of affection. He suggested we go back to my place. I said, "how dare you" and other outraged comments to that effect.

Somehow this didn't entirely put him off. I was dating a lot at the time and was also seeing a couple of other blokes (which I did disclose) but six weeks later we were exclusively dating and in love. Less than three years later we got married and some years on I still consider myself a very fortunate woman indeed.

• Like 1

Expelliarmus

We went to Taronga Park Zoo.

Memorable because I lived in Melbourne at the time ...

• Like 2

Princess VFR

We met at a motorbike group ride night. The meeting point was a service station. He was hanging out near the air pump. I was dressed in full leathers- of course I needed to check my bikes tyre pressure. We struck up a conversation, rode side by side. He popped wheelies to show off..... Our first date was the following week both riding our bikes through the national park south of Sydney.

We're now married watching Motogp on TV tonight and sharing cuddles with our 3 week old baby girl as we tell her what a legend Valentino Rossi is.

• Like 2

BetteBoop

We worked together and went out socially in a group for a year before I asked him out.

We went to a movie and then hung out at his house and talked. I fell in love with him that night as he talked about the ending of his last relationship.

He was so sweet and heartbroken.

On the second date, I leapt on him like I was a starved lioness and he was a slow movie gazelle on the plains of the Serengeti.

• Like 2

skylark

We had previously worked together very briefly (2 days) and it went very, very badly. Instant dislike - I thought he was a cocky, arrogant tool, he thought I was a bossy 12 year old harpy (I was in fact 30, but did look about 12). He told me "save your breath sweedhard, you're too cute for anyone to take you seriously" and a few such other clangers, which resulted in the pair of us having a stand up barney in front of a gathered crowd of people who we were supposed to be in charge of. Not my finest hour.

Anyway about 6 months later I had just been dumped and went out to a jungle themed party in a newtown warehouse, determined to pick up and get back on the horse and get over the dumping. I had never had a one night stand, despite many attempts (which all ended in at least multiple dates, and some in actual relationships), so I'd decided tonight was the night to finally pull a one nighter. I drank a bottle of cheap red, cast about me for a suitable candidate, and spotted cocky arrogant tool, dressed in tropical shirt unbuttoned to the waist and tight jeans, on stage singing Long Way to the Top, accompanied by a gypsy band, who he had apparently commandeered. I felt he was the perfect option: I found him attractive, yet our mutual loathing ensured he would be a one night proposition only.

I went up to him, he said "I don't like you, do I?", I nodded, pashed him messily, and we basically went outside into the alley and did...stuff that shall remain unsaid. We went back to his place and I discovered he lived literally around the corner from me in Bondi. Destiny! Except not. I vividly recall walking home the next morning telling someone on the phone that I'd slept with "literally the worst man in the world". There was plenty more messy shambolic non-romance in our futures at that point, but 12 years on neither of us can imagine ourselves with anyone else.

tl:dr least successful one night stand ever.

• Like 5

Let-it-go

It wasnt pretty......

We worked together.

Work drinks

Got drunk

Pashed at nightclub

Taxi to my house

Had sex

Woke up feeling very regretful and like I had seriously messed up......

Within 4 weeks we had a weekend in Sydney, told each we loved each other, spending every minute together, within 6mo had moved in together......15yrs and 2 kids later.....I am not I Sure recommend sleeping together on the 1st date......but thankfully it was ok, for us!

Edited by Ice Queen
  • Like 1

Buggylicious

Edited by Buggylicious

Veritas Vinum Arte

"Singles week" at a resort.

I went with a GF to get over a horrid Uni semester and being dumped by cheating ex. DH went with a mate to see if their travel style meshed (thinking about suggesting 3m EU trip).

Welcoming cocktail party. I had had enough of drunk idiots trying to chat me up. Had said goodnight to GF when I saw a cute guy across the way who looked Intelligent and sober. I decided to introduce myself (I am major introvert). We hit it off and were still chatting 6hrs later.

DH ended up asking to be at the opposite end of the plane to his mate (they did not make good travel companions).... I went on 3m EU tour with DH. That was over 15yrs ago.

Edited by IsolaBella

AggyW72

I met DH in a MSN chat room in 2001, I had only just got a computer and "the internet"! At the time I lived in Sydney and he lived in Melbourne. I was working on a certain soap opera at the time and was coming to Melbourne in a few weeks for the Logies so we decided to meet up.

Logies night I was at Crown, drinking, joined up with the cast, tried to crash the channel 9 party, then got snuck into the private party of an old Countdown host by a certain True Blood actor as his date. DH called me while I was there to arrange plans to meet the following night. He tells me I drunkenly shouted "I can't hear you, I'm watching Molly lick a man's chest"!

After that to a nightclub, then back to Crown and playing blackjack with one of the actors till 4am.

Next day I decided not to meet up with DH, it was all too hard. But my girlfriend made me, called a taxi and put me in it. I was so dreadfully hungover, couldn't eat any dinner or converse. But a year later, I resigned and moved to Melbourne, married 10 years this October!

That whole night was such a one off for me, I rarely drink, never used to go out partying, hate noisy crowded places!

Crooked Frame

We met at a friend's drinks in a pub courtyard in Newtown.

Was it the courty? Because that's where mine was!

noonehere

Our first date I got pregnant.....

I blame the jacks :p

• Like 1

Soontobegran

As I've mentioned here before, he was guarding a patient in my ward and then a few weeks later he was my partner at my best friend's wedding......she married his cousin but I'd never met him aside from the nights he was at the hospital.

Our first date was a test match between England and Australia at the MCG.

He picked me up in his Kingswood and on the back seat was an esky full of VB.

I was pretty concerned at this point.

We sat for 7 hours in the sun watching the cricket, got sunburnt and drunk and slept in the car before he drove me home.

So romantic :heart:

• Like 1

MrsLexiK

The night we meet in true fashion we were drunk at a presentation dinner which I had done the organising for. He was there with his best mate and brother and some other friends I was there with my friends from the club and my family. His brother and best mate were doing the fixing up both his brother and himself have no idea about women's ages as his brother kept asking my 15 yr old sister (thinking it was me) if she would dance (and DH was surprised to learn I was 19). Due to bar staff falling through at the last minute my best mates were also there. He kept telling me about a trophy he had won all night but refused to dance with me. We exchanged numbers. A week later we went and saw due hard 4. He picked me up, refused to let me pay (his never refused since mind you!), he did let me pick the movie luckily for him I'm not a chic flick lover! He dropped me off and left. He sent me a text telling me he wanted to kiss me but didn't want to be too forward. He came over the next night and we kissed the rest is history as they say.

Mine Site Wife

Met my DH at a rodeo and hit it off that night but we both at the time had partners so decided to go our separate ways (I was pretty impressed as we were both young and drunk and presented with the opportunity but didn't). Fast forward 2 years after a particularly horrid break up went out with a group of mates who decided I needed to get my butt out of the house and bumped into him again, He likes to say he saved my life I maintain it was easier to use the ventolin he had in his car than find the guy whose car I had left mine in. Organised to go out the following week and have since been inseparable, 6 years later 1 DD and another DD on the way I am so glad I have the sort of mates who make me leave the house HAHA