h0liday

extracurricular-how many how old

h0liday

Up to now ds almost 5 has not done any extracurriclar activities. With the exception of trying swimming at one point, but he didn't take to it so we stopped.

Am now wanting to sign him up for the following;

Swimming - would like to build his confidence before hr starts school. I havent been able to teach him.

Piano - which will presemumably involve home practice too

A team sport - he has become selfish and demanding of late and I want to encourage mateship

Is the above reasonable?

How many activities do your children participate in, how old are they and how do you find the time to fit them in if both caregivers work, kids are in school/daycare etc?

Edited by h0liday

h0liday

Also do your children do more or less extracurricular activities as they get older?

Bearynice

My boys are four, so not at kinder or school yet. Lots of parents I chat to say first year of school is tiring. They tend to just do one activity per term on a Saturday morning or one week night.

Schmig

My eldest is 5 and in prep and does ballet one night after school. Next term she will go back to swimming as well on Saturday. I do feel that school is very tiring for them and she couldn't cope with 2 after school activities. She does find it harder to get ready the day after ballet as she is more tired.

Mum.of.one

My son is in kinder. He is now doing 4 activities- music, junior gym, swimming and soccer. I thought it would be way to much but DH wanted to try and as he is the one home in the afternoons to organise it all I said OK. DS is thriving - loves school and all his activities and is so much happier than when he had less on. (He still gets heaps of home time to do independent play, annoy siblings, playdates etc.)

Edited by Mum.of.one
  • Like 1

munchi

Not the same age but my 3yo does 2 days of day care (mon & tues), baby singing /library - 30 mins (wed), swimming - 30 mins (thurs), dancing 1hr (fri) and gym 1hr. (Sat).

She loves them all. Started library at 6mth, swimming at 8mths and gym at 14 mths. She Requested dancing at almost 3.

I want her to do swimming until she is confident in all strokes and then she'll do nippers to learn beach safety. Other activities will be her choice.

~Jolly_F~

We do one activity per week for each child. That's more than enough and getting to 3 children's different activities and avoiding timing clashes is hard enough, without adding more.

Neeps

I work 4 days a week and DH full time.

My 6 year old does no activities at present because we can't fit anything in during the week. Although she does do netball at after school care.

I will possibly start her in swimming next term.

Beancat

DS is 5 and in fyos. He does auskick on sat, swimming Sunday and hip hop after school. Auskick only goes for one term and hip hop is casual fees, ie we only pay on a sessional basis if we attend

Edited by Beancat

GoneWithTheWhinge

my 5yo does a 30min swimming lesson once a week and recently finished a 10wk netball skills course. She also does an after school music class.

My 8yo does squad swimming 1.5hrs twice a week plus race night fortnightly, netball practice 1 hr once a week and netball games once a week. She also does a drumming lesson after school once a week for 30mins. When netball ends we eill probably up the swimming to include the 6am Saturday training session as well.

My 15yo does 1.5hr soccer training once a week, plus matches. He doesn't do any during the summer. He also plays a huge number of hours worth of computer games!

Last year we just had swimming lessons for the younger two and dance classes which was too draining financially and timing wise as it was a 1.5hr commitment every weekday between the two of them.

I don't currently work so I do all the ferrying around except for the soccer training/matches. If I was working the swimming would continue but it would be doubtful the netball would due to the time of training

Veritas Vinum Arte

We have always done swimming since 3-4yo.

Previous years we have just done Auskick on Saturday morning.

This year added for 1st Grader and 3rd Grader:

Music lessons but occur during school time.

Tennis lessons but these occur with straight before school or straight after school on school grounds, so just means dropping them off either 7.45am or pickup 4pm.

Soccer lessons once again straight after school at school so finishes by 4.30pm.

4yo Kinder DD does Ballet during the day during the week.

Kreme

My kids started swimming at age 1-2. When they were at preschool they also did one other activity, either dancing or a sports skills class.

We scaled right back on the extra-curriculars during their first year of school and only did swimming.

They started team sport and an instrument at age 6-7.

IMO 4 is too young for a team sport, I would look for a multi-sport class that is aimed at preschoolers, so he can learn a variety of skills and have fun.

renee1979

My 4 yr old does 2 days of daycare, 1 x 2 hour stint at kinder, 1 music class, 1 dancing class and swimming. Although it may sound like a bit, it isn't, she still has plenty of down time. Both my kids did all sorts of activities beginning about 2 months old, they have loved it, got to experience lots of different things, met lots of other kids and are so confident in new situations. My son is in grade 1 and this term he is doing Auskick and a circus class, I do agree that they get super tired after school and need a few nights to just play quietly at home. Next term there will be no Auskick so probably go back to basketball. I think the variety is great in the young ages, to try out all sorts of things, have different experiences and work out what they like.

• Like 1

fillyjonk

My son is five and does gymnastics, soccer and Chinese for one hour a week each. Next year we want to pick up swimming but will drop one of the others.

Dirtsa

My kids, aged 4 & 7 do karate once a week. My four year old goes along because he wants to do it with his brother. I think that if your child is interested in doing all 3, and you all have the stamina to do it week in week out, go for it. But, IMO one or two per week would be adequate. For lot of people, it comes down to interest, budget, timetables, and how your child is coping.

BeAwesome

My 5.5 year old (FYOS) goes to gymnastics 2 hours a week (1 session), and ballet.

Next year she wants to play a musical instrument at school (hopefully before school one day a week), and she will take on at least one more style of dance, or possibly drop gymnastics and do a few more styles of dance.

Feral Grey Mare

Mine did one hour a week of band practice after school all through primary school, DD rode her horse most afternoons and danced for one hour a week for a couple of years. DS did BMX coaching one evening a week for about 5 years. They both hated swimming with a passion so only went long enough to teach them to save themselves. They also both loathed team sports - DS played one season of rugby and hated it. DS now does three gym sessions before school and motorcross coaching three hours once a week and races one or two days EVERY weekend (that's what it seems like!).

Redhead78

My 6 yr old (2nd year of school) does swimming once a week (30 min lesson) and karate once a week (hour session). This is all we can manage at the moment, both in terms of cost as well as time. I work 4 days, DH works full time (shift work) and any more activities than this would just be too difficult for us at this point.

SeaPrincess

I have 3 children. They are supposed to be limited to two activities each. They've all done swimming forever, and their additional activity is their own choice.

DS1 (8) - swimming, rugby (training on a weeknight, Saturday games), choir (before school, so no real effort and no cost). He's also tried lots of things when the others were too young, but this winter, rugby was his choice.

DS2 (6) - swimming, nothing else at the moment. Last winter he did Auskick.

DD (5) - swimming, ballet (Saturday, all year round)

chookas!

I've got 3 kids, 7year old twins and a 6 year old. We've been doing swimming since a few months before the twins started school and that's how they learnt to swim.

We stopped that FYOS just so we weren't trying to do too much.

This year however, we have stepped it up. We started gymnastics and ballet this year and picked up swimming again. So they all do 3 hours of gym each week, 30mins swimming and the girls do 2 ballet classes each week.

It's exhausting (for me) and pricey, but they love it so I'll just have to suck it up :)

CallMeFeral

I think 3 is probably the max I'd consider, but depends what it is - an instrument takes practice so probably gets weighted at slightly more than one. Soccer often has training plus a game a week - but then again can be a bit more like a social event. Before school swimming (if you're into that) is almost like a non-activity as it doesn't take much of the day IF you're an early riser anyway. Etc etc. It varies.

I'm just starting to ramp up activities for my 5yo DD, and I think a good approach is just to start with one first and then ramp it up until you start to get that feeling of being a bit too busy or them being too tired, and then don't take on anymore. It's different for everyone and depends what the activities are.

• Like 1

lucky 2

At 9 dd is still working out what she likes best, she'd like to try more things/activities but there isn't any more time or money for them.

She has 3 nights of activities (one 1/2 hr, 1 hr and 2 hr class), plus after school care on 2 nights (that's the 5 week nights accounted for).

I don't think it will continue like this once she's at High School.

It's been about the same since she's been about 7.

We have the weekend free.

Jekaho

Before starting primary school this year, our son was four years old and did swimming (30min), tennis (1hr) and soccer(1hr) each week.

Starting school (five years old) we didn't want him too tired or overwhelmed, so dropped to just one activity. He doesn't like swimming (but we will start it up again soon regardless) and the soccer program was for preschool age only, so we kept tennis.

Before the end of the year, we hope to start piano lessons, and swimming lessons again leading into summer. We will wait to see what sport (if any) he wants to do on the weekend.

I want him to have time after school and on weekends - downtime to himself, time to spend with us, to have playdates, to see family etc.

Milly Molly Mandy

Too much lol

My 8 and 10 year old do basically the same thing. At the moment they are doing 3 sessions of soccer training a week (they join each others which are on different days.) swimming squad once a week. Soccer game on the weekend plus they are part of a cross country club that meets fortnightly on a Saturday.

Summer is without soccer but has little athletics on a Friday, oztag on a tuesday and nippers on Sundays. On top of this they do lot of carnivals for nippers and little As.

At different times they have done music lessons before school, but none at the moment.

For me swimming is the one not negotiable. They do it whether they like it or not. We live a couple of hundred metres from the beach and spend summer living in the ocean, the stronger at swimming they are the better.

DS3 is 4 and not at school yet but does swimming once a week and also soccer joeys. Heaven help us next year when he starts school

As you can probably tell I have super active kids. They actually drive me mad on a Tuesday when they don't have anything on as they are bouncing from the walls so I usually kick them outside to kick the soccer ball around.

belindarama

FYOS we did no after school activities. Circumstances plus he was tired. From yr 1 we have done piano and swimming all year. Then we do auskick in winter and nippers in summer.