Sign in to follow this  
CountryBumpkin

Independent midwives australia wide (HOMEBIRTH SECTION)

CountryBumpkin

So i am incredibly lucky to have a supportive husband... I have to leave the town where i live around 36 weeks to go and deliver elsewhere. The IMs in Perth are all booked out. He has suggested travelling anywhere in Australia to a great midwife and staying there, birthing, then coming home. I am quite independent and prefer a hands off midwife, who offers opinions but allows me to make my own choices, plus we would only be needing someone for the birth and 1-2 days post birth (would be looking at starting off home 4-5 days PP.) So would like someone who would consider reducing their fees to take this into account. Also medicare eligibility doesnt matter as the rebates are only for pre and post birth. Also we would need to be able to find affordable accommodation for a large family for 4-5 weeks (so looking at no more than $500 a week). If anyone has any suggestions on midwives around affordable accomodation i would love to hear them! we are considering Cairns once i have spoken to some midwives, i would love someone with beautiful surroundings (I dont want much do it!) thank you ladies :)

CountryBumpkin

Unfortunately I have to leave town anyway, i live 1700kms from perth and thats where most people go. I have to pay for accommodation anyway, wherever we go, and theres no midwives in perth. Our travel is paid as we get an allowance from hubbys company, we get fuel money and 1 nights accomodation each stop to our destination. Hubby suggested finding a good midwife over east as there are more then there are here in WA.

CountryBumpkin

We have budgeted $500 a week for 6 weeks if we have to, our fuel is covered (salary sacrificed vehicle so we dont have to think about that). We dont pay much rent at all where we live now so thats no stress. We will just be buying food and we would have been doing that at home anyway :)

And we are planning a homebirth in the accommodation, our second HB. I wouldnt be accepted into a birth centre being a VBAC mum and a grand mutli para (7th baby)

Edited by CountryBumpkin

CountryBumpkin

I have been trying to find if anyone helps, if i was an employee of hubbys company they would subsidised accomodation, but seeing as though he's male they wont help. PATS (patient assisted travel system) will only help when you attend your local hospital and are shipped out to another hospital directly. So so far we are fronting the cost ourselves, which we are trying to make sure we are fully covered. DH is on salary so we are on full pay the whole time, im due mid november and he has from mid october until the week before christmas off.

deejie

If Melbourne is an option, let me know. My midwife is Medicare eligible. She is also the most amazing woman who truly believes in woman centred care. From my conversations with her, I know she is very supportive of a woman's informed choice.

PM me if Melbourne is on your travel radar, I'll give your her name :)

All the best!

valeriebernadatati

I am interested to know whether you found a vbac homebirth supportive midwife and accommodation for a large family to have your vbac homebirth. I know of a mother in the same predicament. Thank you.