Sign in to follow this  
Elle232

1st baby prem - was your 2nd also?

Elle232

My first Dd was born 5 weeks early. We were very lucky and she had no issues other than jaundice. There were no reasons found for her arriving early - I was in good health and so was she.

I am currently pregnant with my second child. Is it likely that this bub will also come early?

They are both IVF babies - I've read that IVF babies are more likely to be early but the paediatrician didn't think it would make a difference.

South Coast

Very interested too.

Thank you for posting OP.

AMPSyd

DS was born at 35 weeks

DD was born at 39 weeks (when I was 37 weeks with her I was soooooo desperate to have her born - I was over being pregnant).

• Like 1

indigo~

Dd was born 33w5d. I had placenta praevia and was in hospital from 28w with bleeds.

Currently 23w preg with number 2 and unfortunately have placenta praevia again - apparently worse than last time. Obstetrician is hoping I make it to 34w.

Both IVF babies. I was told IVF did increase the risk of placenta praevia a bit.

Girlo

Hi, I too will be stalking this for any stories.

DS was born at 34 weeks, but because there was no particular reason for it my obstetrician said I shouldn't necessarily have this one early too. Fingers crossed for that outcome.

My boss had her son at 31 weeks but her daughter wasn't born until almost 42 weeks!

But, a friend of mine had her first at 35 weeks and her second at 33 weeks....

Hmm... Guess that doesn't help much!

~Kay~

Here's my experience.

1st 35weeks PPROM; no reason given

2nd 27weeks spontaneous labour; no reason given

3rd 38weeks PROM.

But I was told that statistically if you've had 1 premature birth you are still more likely to go full term.

However you are more likely to be preterm than the pregnant person standing next to you.

Literally Literary

My first was born at 32 weeks with no reason given. I come from a family that always popped out babies on time with no issues - so my baby being 8 weeks premature was a shock for all of us.

My second - 15 months later - was born at 34 weeks. We were hoping to go full term, but I had gestational diabetes the second time round.

There was no apparent reason for either to be premature but the obstetrician strongly advised us not to go for a third as past history indicated a high risk pregnancy.

We were never going to have three in any case.

Girlo

the obstetrician strongly advised us not to go for a third as past history indicated a high risk pregnancy.

My obstetrician said something similar. Once doesn't mean two will be, but if it happens twice then chances are a third will be early too.

• Like 1

Natttmumm

DD was just under 37 weeks, DD2 induced at 39, Ds 40weeks.

Rainbow*Seeking

Ds was 31+2 weeks and Dd 39 weeks :)

Veritas Vinum Arte

Mine were 37w5d and 36w3d. No issues, just early labour.

My sisters were 35w5d and 36w1d (although she had been hospitalised from 32wks) due to HELLP eclampsia.

Our extended family plus us were all born average 10 days overdue.

Tarshy77

DS1 was born 36 weeks - VERY fast labour with no warning.

DS2 was born 35 weeks - again very fast labour but had niggles and was checked at hospital in the afternoon and was told to come back in a month! We got home and turned around and went back again!

DD - I had contractions before I could feel her kick. I was put on bed rest around 23-24 weeks and had contractions around 3 mins apart from 20 weeks till when she was born. Because of my history everyone thought I would have another early bub - but she held on till the day before her due date!!! - Felt like the LONGEST pregnancy ever! The horrendous pregnancy was still much better than a stint in SCN - feeding was a breeze and I went home on day 3 - amazing!!!!!

ZombieFerretOfDoom

I had pre-eclampsia with DS, he was born by emergency c-section at 34 weeks.

No problems with DD, she went to term. We obviously watched things very carefully and kept a close eye on my BP, but apart from her growth slowing down in the last couple of weeks there was nothing to concern us.

SeaPrincess

One of my colleagues had their first baby at around 30 weeks by emergency caesar. Her second was a VBAC at home at 40 weeks.

2 of my own children were born after their due dates. My second was born just over 3 weeks early.

dancermum12

A good friend had her first at 35 weeks - no obvious reason or serious health issues (he was just in a hurry?)

The next two both came just about on time, although also in a hurry (she has very fast labours).

None of them were IVF babies.

Charmzy

1st 31w

2nd 35w

3rd 38w

4th 37w

5th 37w

ozbilby

DD1 37 weeks due to PE

DD2 33 weeks due to PPROM

iwanttosleepin

DS1 - 36 weeks

DS2 - 40 weeks (felt like a very long pregnancy)

Mrs Lost Wanderer

My obstetrician said something similar. Once doesn't mean two will be, but if it happens twice then chances are a third will be early too.

This is what I was told too and so far it has proven true for me.

DD1 was 33+2, DD2 was 34+5 and DD3 was 35+1.

• Like 1

lou-t

DS1 33 wks, no reason (hospitalisation with pre term labour at 28, 30 and 31 wks).

DS2 35 wks, no reason.

I'm now pregnant with #3. I'm 33 wks and still going.. I was in hospital with pre term labour at 28wks, no reason. I'm assuming I won't go to term, but hopefully I'll hold on for a few more weeks.

Good luck.

Soontobegran

It really is dependent on the reason why your first was early as to whether it will happen again.

Prem rupture of membranes, incompetent cervix, multiple pregnancies, pre eclampsia or some other health issue will increase the chance of another premmie but idiopathic prem labour is not something that is necessarily going to be repeated.

Lots of good luck.

• Like 2

aphraell

Both mine were born at 33+2

DD was born less than 48 hours after PPROM (no known reason) and after taking Nifedipine to try and stop labour (which obviously didn't work!)

With DS I had threatened pre-term labour at 32+3 which was stopped with Nefedipine and I was left on a maintenance dose of this to stop it restarting until PPROM at 33+2 with DS arriving about 13 hours later.

As there was no known reason for the PPROM with DD I was told I had only a very minor increase in another prem.

After DS I was told if we had a 3rd they would almost certainly come early - according to my Ob I just "bake them quickly" :)

• Like 1

jill1972

DD was born at 37wks - labour started all by itself, I did have pre eclampsia though.

Twin boys delivered at 35wks emergency c/s, I had pre eclampsia again and cholestasis

I'm assuming baby no 4 will come early too

HRH Countrymel

My sister was born 4 weeks early and I was born a week late. Although my Mum was an 'elderly primagravida' IVF was not a factor (considering my big sister was born in '69!)

We have very different looking newborn photos!

GypsyJude

DS1 35 weeks pre-eclampsia

DS2 38 weeks placenta abruption