Moneypenny2014

Compact 7 seat vehicle with LOW petrol consumption

Moneypenny2014

I currently own a 7 seater 2004 model Volvo which I LOVE except for the petrol consumption which is about 10-12 ltrs depending on city/country driving.

I am looking to replace my car at some stage soon but only if I can cut down on the petrol consumption - I do lots of kms and its the petrol that is killing me at the moment (the rest of the car is perfect).

DS was going on about getting a Prado or some other type of 4WD but I dont want anything anywhere near that big. The smaller 7 seater the better as I want to be able to park the thing!!

I heard that the new Volvo's are down to about 7 ltrs but they are circa $75k new which is above my budget.

Any ideas on a compact 7 seater with fuel consumption around 7-8ltrs?

• Like 1

tres

You won't get better fuel consumption from a Prado or the like. Maybe a diesel is worth it for you if you either tow or do high k's.

I'm in a similar boat and have been thinking Honda Odyssey (but I don't like the look of them). And we are a tall family so we all like a bit of leg room.

I just want to put it off another few years until some good 7 seater hybrid options come out, hopefully.

I hate driving a 4WD, the fuel consumption and being part of the problem that too many 4WD's on the road creates. It is unfortunate that it's the most practical option for us at the moment (and many others judging by the number on the road).

Gumbette

I have a 2013 Volvo XC90 - I have never gotten down to 7ltrs! Petrol version though, not sure about the Diesel. I had a 2010 Prado before that and the fuel consumption was about the same, roughly 15 ltrs for city driving, but again that was the petrol version.

dolcengabbana

I am stoked with my Prado Diesel great fuel consumption and just as easy as my VW Golf to park and easier then DH's Commodore Wagon. DH always comments on how light and manoeuvrable it is compared to his car and a much tighter turning circle. Have you driven one? I was really surprised by how "easy" it was to drive and park?

I do love the Volvo 7 seater but unsure on its fuel consumption.

Edit to add my Fuel average consumption is 9.5ltr cityish driving Cairns isn't really city not rural!

Edited by dolcengabbana

Centrino

For 7-8 ltrs you would generally have to look at a diesel. A proper people mover is the best for a 7 seater, the smaller SUV ones tend to be 5 seaters with option for 2 in the back when you really need it.

Apparently Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best at the moment.

Most fuel efficient 7 seaters

Car Guides Review C4 Picasso

FuzzyChocolateToes

I assume you must be driving the 7 seater xc70? Right now I'm getting 18 litres in my V8 XC90! The diesel model doesn't come close to those figures either.

How many in your family? All I can think of with good economy is the Diesel Peugeot Touring or the Citroen Picasso. I don't know that either is great as a full time large family vehicle though.

Edited by ednaboo

hills mum bec

Look at a diesel Mitsubishi Outlander. You would only fit kids in the rear seats as it is compact but also very fuel efficient & I think the most fuel efficient 7 seater on the market, I think around 7.5L/100km.

I also think the new Nissan X-Trails have 7 seats but don't know what their fuel consumption is like or anything else about them.

CrankyM

Do you mean a permanent 7 seater or a 5 seater with 2 fold up seats in the back?

You probably need to look at a diesel for that sort of fuel consumption. I have a sante fa SLX (the standard 7 seat diesel of the new version. With the 2 back seats up you have no boot though. they are only used when we have visitors though) and we sit at about 7.4-8.2l/100kms. That is country town and highway driving (we live 25kms out of a small town, but I do a lot of running around because it might be a small town but it is sprawled over a fair amount of space). It is a fairly compact SUV and I don't find it much bigger to drive then my Yaris or a small sedan. I am very happy with it, especially after doing a road trip of about 6000kms over the summer and only spending $900 in fuel.

Edited by mayahlb

lazycritter

Our kluger gets down to 7-8 l/100km on the freeways. It averages about 9-10 around town. It's petrol year2011

lotsofbots

Tarago gets much better fuel consuption than that. It's the smallest of the people movers, just like a station wagon to drive.

pitzinoodles

What about the Toyota Prius V, it's 7 seater, compact and hybrid? 4.4l/100km.

Not overly expensive to buy, but not sure what they are like to drive and maintain.

Edited by pitzinoodles

Moneypenny2014

Thanks everyone for the really informative replies.

Yes I have the XC70 right now. It is perfect for us ATM (2 adults and 4 kids) though realistically as my children are getting bigger my next car (which we will ideally have for at least 5 years) really needs to be able to seat teenagers in the back - my 12 y/o DD is already almost as tall as me! She can no longer sit in the very back section of our Volvo...

I would be more than happy with a diesel too.

The Toyota Prius sounds interesting so I will check it out as well as the Nissan X-Trail, the Peugeot and the Citreon (though I dont really like the look of the Citreon TBH). The Outlander sadly wouldnt suit if you can only fit kids in the back.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Ally'smum

Just had a look at the prius, looks great.

FluffyMcFluffins

OP, the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder is coming out with a 2.7ltr 4 cylinder supercharged hybrid option later this year, which will cost $55,000 and claims to have a 7.5 litres per 100 kilometres fuel consuption which is very impressive. Maybe have a look at one of them?

• Like 1

FuzzyChocolateToes

The aforementioned Peugeot can only fit kids in the third row. I believe this is true of nearly all the 7 seaters that aren't people movers.

I would like a Subaru Exiga but I don't think it has a diesel option.

Lazycritter how do you find the Kluger for 4 kids? We hate the xc90 (I think we bought a lemon ) and the Kluger may be an option.

Edited by ednaboo
  • Like 1

ShoeLady

The new Nissan xtrail is a 7 seater, the new pathfinder is probably a bit big from what you are saying., or the last of the Nissan dualis+2 are a lot smaller. Holden captivas are also great on fuel. Hyundai Santa fe's are excellent on fuel also. If you look on www.carsales.com.au you can search vehicles on fuel consumption and seating, I have been doing the same recently. The new klugers look nice but would be same fuel consumption as your Volvo.

ShoeLady

Forgot to mention, the Mazda cx9's, Santa fe's, and pathfinder have the foot well in the 3rd row, which is good if you are needing the 3rd row regularly.

• Like 1

hills mum bec

I think you may have a hard time finding a fuel efficient, compact SUV that will fit teenagers in the back row & still have any boot room. You may need to look at a people mover or go a bigger 4WD like a Prado. I have a Pajero which is pretty big but the back row is still pretty squishy & uncomfortable for adults.

FluffyMcFluffins

I currently own a 7 seater 2004 model Volvo which I LOVE except for the petrol consumption which is about 10-12 ltrs depending on city/country driving.

I am looking to replace my car at some stage soon but only if I can cut down on the petrol consumption - I do lots of kms and its the petrol that is killing me at the moment (the rest of the car is perfect).

DS was going on about getting a Prado or some other type of 4WD but I dont want anything anywhere near that big. The smaller 7 seater the better as I want to be able to park the thing!!

I heard that the new Volvo's are down to about 7 ltrs but they are circa $75k new which is above my budget.

Any ideas on a compact 7 seater with fuel consumption around 7-8ltrs?

Also, if you happen to win lotto or something, the fully redesigned 2015 Volvo XC90 will be debuted at the paris motor show later this year. As a volvo admirer, this excited me a lot!

lazycritter

The aforementioned Peugeot can only fit kids in the third row. I believe this is true of nearly all the 7 seaters that aren't people movers.

I would like a Subaru Exiga but I don't think it has a diesel option.

Lazycritter how do you find the Kluger for 4 kids? We hate the xc90 (I think we bought a lemon ) and the Kluger may be an option.

We only have 3 kids ourselves, but have transported 4 to 5 extra people/kids plenty of times.

It's very comfortable with 5 kids. However there is limited boot space when all the seats are up.

With just one rear seat up there is a good amount of room and (6 people in total - includes 3 adults *disclaimer my mum is only 5'2" but fits in the middle between a large booster and a small seat booster. Tallest child is in the back (145cm) Plus double pram (p&t) and scooters and various bits and pieces in the back too.

Compared to the avensis we had, the Kluger doesn't have as much boot space but has more people space leg wise and width wise. Boosters fit better too.

We originally wanted a Kluger before we got the avensis a few years ago, but the second hand Klugers didn't have split 3rd row seats back then. Only 2011 and up have them. Unfortunately toyota stopped making the Avensis.

eta: We wanted the 7 seater more to be able to take my mum with us everywhere...she's our 4th child...lol. But also because our eldest son can't sit next to the other two kids it's a disaster. (ASD)

Edited by lazycritter

CrankyM

The santa fe isn't too bad in the back row if you don't mind having no boot. My sister (5"7) was happy to sit there when she was 24 weeks pregnant because it was easier then fitting between two car seats. It has a foot well which makes a big difference.

Veritas Vinum Arte

Peugeot 308 SW is very small in rear seats. At 5ft my head hit the roof in test drive.

Citroen Picasso is a lovely car. Rear seats are fine for small adult (I go in boot when mum visits),middle row great for carseats. So can transport 7. New version is lovely too. Love my old model.

mumtojanda

There is also the Fiat Freemont Urban in diesel. This comes in a 7 seat model.

slc5

We have the Outlander, I was going to suggest that too, but maybe not for teenagers in the back row.

We are lucky our kids are spaced apart enough, by the time the big kids are too big for the back row the little ones will be able to sit on that row. And by the time they are too big, the older ones should be driving themselves lol

Our oldest is 9yo and still has plenty of room.

Good luck finding a car, it's so hard to find the right car once you have more than 3 kids.

Edited by slc5