Sign in to follow this  
kitkatswing

The birth of Scarlett.

kitkatswing

So its been quite a while since I have posted on here! I thought I had better update with my birth story, or what I can remember :)

It started the day before I was due at a routine OB appointment, up until then my BP had been great, but for some reason on that day it was high! Like, I had to lay down for 30 minutes and then have it rechecked. Still high, monitor on bubs, she was fine. But my BP stayed very high.

My OB then decided that its not worth the risk, but to be induced that day. As in, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go to hospital now please. I was able to get them to agree I could go home at least to collect my bags (I only lived 1 km away and 1km from hospital). On the way home we rang my MIL and got her to come collect our dog (his bags were packed already too!!)

We go to hospital around 2pm, at 3pm they put the gels in. At this point DH goes home to get his stuff and to clean up the house a little.

My contractions started around 4:30ish. My mum got to the hospital around 6:30, we told her not to leave work early, to take her time.

I beleive my dad popped in around 6 to say hello and see how we were going. I then jumped into the huge bath they had prepared for me, it was great, mum was with me in the room whilst DH got some sleep. The next few hours are a bit of a blur to be honest. All I can remember is the pain. It honestly felt like one giant contraction.

The gas didnt really work, I got occasional highs from it, but not much else. I asked for Pethadine, that worked for about, oh 15 minutes?

Finally around 3am I beg for an Epi. I had no idea of time or anything, its all very blurry, I just remember pain... I had to wait until 4:30am before I got the Epi as they had to call the person in (who then got rushed away for an emergency)..

My waters broke as I was sitting up getting ready for the Epi, I was throwing up at this point too. My waters were brown.. As soon as the Epi took effect I fell asleep for about 2 hours!

Around 7:am (i think) more waters gushed out, again brown.. At 7:30 there was one, and then two midwives huddled over bubs heartrate monitor whispering. I didnt like that... They then left the room and came back to check how dilated I was... After all that time.. 1cm... thats it.. 1cm...

It was then they advised me that a CS could be on the cards. Bubs heartrate was all over the place, she was going into distress. I had known this in the back of my mind, (from previous surgery on my cervix I was told this may be a problem in labor). They called my OB who arrived, checked me and bub and said "Kitkatswing, you know what we have to do right?".. I was like yup, lets get this show on the road.

Preperations made, I was wheeled to the operating theater waiting room with DH at my side. (Im so upset mum couldnt come too).. He got changed into the lovely outfit! They then took me into the theater..

It was very scary laying there will a room full of people rushing around. As my OB got ready he had a trainee doc with him, so they were describing everything! DH got there JUST before they started cutting.

I could feel everything, no pain though, it was a very weird feeling. I knew exactly when they pulled my little girl out. She gave a cry and I teared up!. I got a quick look and they took her to do the usual stuff with her. DH went over and took photos as they cleaned her up. We had a family photo taken and DH was given Scarlett and told to go wait in the waiting room.

It was so funny, he had never held a baby before and had a "deer in headlights" look, so he got that precious 30 minutes bonding time with her straight after birth. It was beautiful.

I felt very ill at this point and threw up on a nurse (I did warn him!!), they stapled me up and took me into the recovery area. I then got to meet my beautiful girl properly for the first time, they unwrapped her and we had skin to skin contact and she had her first feed (not that I could feel a thing!)

Back in the maternity ward mum had unpacked our bags and was eagerly waiting our arrival.

17 hour long stage 1 labour ending with an emergency cs.. :)

Scarlett Margaret

Born 3 September 2013, 8:53am, 6.8pounds.

The recovery was very hard and painful. But she was worth every single minute of it. I am so in love with our princess. She is perfect.

1234463_10151860888580664_110673468_n.jpg540098_10151860887800664_199207571_n.jpg

Edited by kitkatswing
  • Like 1

BellO'Nromze

Congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful. So glad she arrived safely. Wishing you all the best for your recovery.

kitkatswing

This is my girl now at 6.5 months :)

1962646_10151968843030878_452819930_n.jpg

• Like 5

alwayshappy

She is beautiful. She definitely looks like you. Love the come over! Clever girl, sitting by herself already.