pinkiepie

Surprise pregnancy at 44!

pinkiepie

Hi all, so I am just over 5 weeks pregnant with number 3 at 44! It was quite a shock even though we were not using any form of contraception I have just kept track of my cycle and that has worked for the last 5 years and I guess I thought falling pregnant at my age was unlikely.

Anyway here I am and even though it was a shock I am quietly excited!!

I have a few concerns obviously because of my age about high risk of chromosomal problems but will deal with that when he time comes. Doctor has also told me a few times my risk of miscarriage is much higher because of my age so taking it one day at a time before I get to excited.

I have a scan on the 31st of March to confirm viability and dates, I should be 6 weeks 6 days by then.

Anyone else out there had a baby at 44? I don't feel to old and know I could definitely handle another baby.

Thanks for reading:)

• Like 5

greenthumbs

Congratulations! and good luck with the testing and so on.

delta508s-mate

Congratulations!

matroishka

Congratulations!!!! Yes I had a baby #5 at 44, I didn't feel old either. I did have a cvs at 13 wks though to check for abnormalities, all was well. My bp went up a little the last month which it hadn't before, otherwise a healthy and uneventful pregnancy resulting in a healthy boy. It was also a very big surprise for us.

There are plenty of us around, older mummies.

I later read on my discharge notes under, obstetric complications- 'advanced maternal age'. made me laugh!

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

HRH Countrymel

Congratulations!

And not old. I'm going to be 43 this year and I'm still trying for #1!

I can't find the study but I'm sure I read somewhere that there are now more babies born in Australia to mothers over 40 than to teen mothers. So you are definitely not alone!

• Like 4

Moneypenny2014

Congratulations OP!

I am 40 and would love another, but we have 4 already and DH says no more!

I'm jealous!!!

Good luck and my best wishes for a smooth pregnancy and beautiful birth of your baby x

SukieTawdry

Having lunch today with my 96 year old grandmother who was born on her mother's 44th birthday. The signs are good! Best wishes.

Jenflea

I know a woman who recently welcomed her second set of twins (!!) at about 44.

My grandmother had my aunt at 42.

Goes to show that age is just a number.

Congratulations!

FeralLIfeHacker

Congrats OP.

Another jealous one, haha my body at almost 43 is soooo done. I don't think I'd have the energy for another anyway. Had my last at 40 and even then my notes said advanced maternal age!

I hope you have a very uneventful pg.

FuzzyChocolateToes

matroishka they put "advanced maternal age" on my discharge summary when i had #3 and I was only 36! I believe 35 is the definition!

Congratulations op.

Empress NG

My brother and his partner have just had their first - both 43yo. They had an elective caesarean for the birth which was really just a precaution/personal choice. Everything else has been fine this time around (had previously lost a baby at 19w).

Babynumber4

CongrAts

Tender Heart

I have a girlfriend about 30 weeks pregnant with her second, at 44.

Congratulations!

Lifesgood

One of my closest friends had her second baby last year at 43 and is planning one more.

dolcengabbana

A very very good friend of mine after a good many years of IVF is about to have her 1st. She will also celebrate her 48th Birthday a week later. I am more then a little bit excited for my gorgeous friend.

• Like 2

pinkiepie

Thanks for all the lovely replies ladies:) I had my last one at 38 and yes I was advanced maternal age!

My two children are only 7 (8 in May) and 5 and a half so there won't be to much of an age gap, and they are going to be so excited as they have always said they want another brother or sister!

DH did freak out at first but is ok with it now.

My last two pregnancies were easy, loved being pregnant so that is good. I did have an emergency ceaser with the first so opted for ceaser second time so I would say I will have go that way again.

Has anyone heard of or had the blood test they can now do to check for chromosome abnormalities? I think it is called the NIB test??

feralangel

Hello pinkiepie,

Congratulations, that is wonderful news!

I had my two girls in my 40s: DD1 aged 42 and DD2 aged 44.

Both pregnancies were very enjoyable and problem free and I birthed them vaginally with no complications and 48 hour post birth discharge from hospital.

The only anxiety i felt with both pregnancies was waiting for the results of my cvs and amnio. I was given a risk ratio of 1:33 for DD1 and 1:8 for DD2 for a chromosomal abnormality (downs syndrome) largely based on my age.The new, non-invasive test wasn't readily available at the time, but if it were i would have done it in the first instance.

Fortunately, i was given the all clear both times and thank my lucky stars every day for the gift of my 2 healthy, beautiful girls.

Good luck, enjoy, i hope things progress smoothly for you.

linden70

Hi Pinkiepie

I have recently found myself pregnant at 43, am now about 5 1/2 weeks along, so I was verinterested in reading your post.

You mentioned that you were going to have a scan on the 31st. Would love to know how it went!

Have my fingers crossed for you!

snowcandy

Wonderful news, congratulations, I get such a warm feeling when I learn that a woman of "advanced maternal age" (HA!) has a bfp - well done, and it's another win for us "older mums" group! :)

Wishing you all the very best for an easy pregnancy and healthy bub.

ThatsNotMyName

Congratulations that's lovely! I was 41 when I had DD, so a little younger but in the ballpark. Good luck with your pregnancy, I hope it's all smooth sailing :)

*Beeker*

I'm looking at our surprise pink bundle born the week before Xmas, healthy, alert & beautiful. I wasn't quite 44 (I turned 40 in October) but had a lovely, trouble free pregnancy....actually the least eventful of all three pregnancies! So much so I would love to go again but I don't think I could spread myself any thinner.....best wishes to you!❤️

Kar1a

Today I found out that I am also pregnant. A surprise for Us. This will be baby #7. Our oldest is 18 and youngest is almost 5 and has down syndrome. All my pregnancies were good and went to term. I feel that we are blessed but I am over whelmed with the surprise pregancy. My husband is 49 and I will be turning 45

in a few months. I cannot beleive it, I am too old.

• Like 1

babycuddler

Congrats that is amazing!

I'm having my first at 41 and can recommend the verifi blood test to check for the main genetic issues. Gives you a definite answer rather than a probability like the NT scan. Yes it costs a bit (about 500) but worth every cent in my opinion

• Like 1

DJandJ

Congratulations OP. I've just had a surprise baby at 39, try not to let the 'older mum' references and statistics get to you and enjoy the ride! Its bought out lovely qualities in my older children, which is an added bonus.

Edited by DJandJ

Kar1a

Thank you! I will have to check into that test. We had the triple screen marker, NT and confirmed with an amniocentesis . I am not to worried about down syndrome but am fearful that I would be carrying multiples! That would be just my luck!