Sign in to follow this  
HappyWomble

Twin home birth Brisbane?

HappyWomble

I saw the MFM unit yesterday. After looking at all my results and risk profiles etc, they asked what the hell I was doing there. I'd be giving birth with the low risk mothers. They tried to get me into the midwifery programs but they were full. They said I should be able to use a private midwife who has practicing rights with the hospital. So all is good, as I knew it would be and finding a private midwife with experience with twins is still on the cards.

jules095

I was considered low risk at 19wks to.

That was until I had a big bleed at 21wks & the complications started.

Just keep in mind, things may be fine, but things can change.

Good Luck.

Feral timtam

Have you looked at the My Midwives website?

http://mymidwives.com.au/

I know they are allowed to practice at the Ipswich hospital and are very reasonably priced.

Ipswich hospital also do follow up home visits after you deliver there if you discharge early. I don't know about the other hospitals but assume they would have similar programs.

• Like 1

Wigglemama

Glitterfarts, with all due respect, the op asked for recommendations for a midwife with experience with home birthing twins. The pp's advice was responsible in advising against home birthing twins.

I am all for home birth myself. I am a birth centre midwife, who works in group practice that may, one day, venture into publically funded home birth. Multiple vaginal birth is outside the ACM guidelines for a midwife to manage autonomously. Any safe midwife knows this and thankfully, so do many birthing women. I think the pps advice against twin home birth was reasonable, and not to scare monger or advice other normal risk women against home birth.

Edited by Wigglemama

Wigglemama

Sorry you feel that way Glitter Farts.

I am a very experienced midwife and stand by my comments as well, for good reason.

Informed maternal decision making is important and paramount in woman centred care and I work with in a very woman centred model but the ACM guidelines exist to ensure the midwifery group practice stays safe and ensures good outcomes for mothers and babies.

You and other women can be as naughty as you want but it doesn't mean you will find health care workers who will risk their registrations to provide care for you which they know is not advisable.

• Like 3

just roses

There are two great hospitals that I know of, that you may consider. One of my good friends has travelled 1.5 hours twice to deliver at Ipswich because it is such a great, low intervention hospital. Another good friend has delivered twice (also travelling 1.5 hours) to deliver at Redlands for the same reasons. You don't need to be in the catchment for either.

Wigglemama

Glitter farts, with my hand on my heart, I swear I am not one of "those" health professionals that try to control women or tell them what to do and I do understand why women home birth against recommendations or free birth, so please do not make assumptions about me. You don't know me from a bar of soap.

And yes I do honestly believe in my stance. My philosophy of pregnancy, labour and birth is that it is a normal life event. Except it isn't normal for everyone and my job as a midwife is to correctly assess when women make be at risk and help support their decision making process in regards to their care and the ACM guidelines are there to guide myself and other midwives to make these assessments.

Bowing out now. I know you have firm beliefs and I don't wish to change them but I believe my opinion is just as valid as yours and I refuse to be labelled some birth dictator without having a chance to defend myself.

• Like 1