Sign in to follow this  
HappyWomble

Twin home birth Brisbane?

HappyWomble

Can someone please PM me if they're aware of a midwife/midwives with experience in homebirthing otherwise low risk twins?

Handsfull

OP, just wondering why you think your twins will be low risk?

Not trying to scare you but with twins one may present well but the other might need assistance or emerg c/section.

If I was to do twins again I would def do hospital delivery again.

GL and hope your pregnancy says low risk.

• Like 1

knottygirl

Twin can change from low risk to high risk very rapidly. There was a special recently on a woman who home birthed twins and 1 died. I would reconsider.

You won't find any reputable midwife willing to do this as their insurance won't cover it.

krich78

Please don't.

• Like 7

Soontobegran

I would think much less of any private midwife who willingly took on a twin delivery at home.

It can very quickly become out of the realm of being manageable by a midwife in the home situation.

Twin deliveries are, just because they are twin deliveries, a higher risk birth.

Good luck OP, I do hope that all goes well for you.

• Like 1

Katie_bella

Please do some research about possible complications of twin birth. No one here is trying to scare you, but simply by having multiple babies involved, the birth and pregnancy is not low risk and is never going to be.

I also would doubt you would be able to find a midwife willing to perform a home twin birth.

• Like 1

Funwith4

Twin deliveries are, just because they are twin deliveries, a higher risk birth.

Exactly what I was going to say. The fact that you're having twins means that your birth cannot, no matter what, be a low risk birth. You're having twins, therefore it's a high risk birth.

Good luck OP, but I do hope you choose a hospital to have your babies.

LenaK

I'm pro home birth and in fact my daughter was born at home, but even here in the netherlands where homebirth is standard practice and very well supported you cannot birth twins at home.

I hope you can find a safe and supportive environment for your twins journey into the world.

Efs

Edited by LenaK
  • Like 4

Fright bat

'Twins' and 'low risk' do not belong in the same sentence.

You have a high risk pregnancy, even if the babies go to term (which they may not, in which case they may need support at birth). Humans have fought for medical care to prevent staggeringly high rates of maternal and infant mortality. Please avail yourself of these facilities.

• Like 4

LeggyBlonde

I just came in to say "tell her she's dreaming".

Caitlin Happymeal

Just reiterating what everyone else has said- it is unlikely you would find a midwife prepared to attend a twin home birth (I'm in Brisbane too, and before I had any inkling of what twin births entail, I looked at home birthing. I came up with nothing, no one who was prepared to attend a home birth of twins)

When I was 20 weeks, twin 1 turned breech and she stayed like that until c-section delivery at 37 weeks. she may have survived a home birth, but her sister well might not have.

With twins (and indeed any pregnancy) we have to keep our options open, because position can be enough to make it high risk, not necessarily any sort of actual health problems with the babies.

Like everyone else, I'm trying to not scare you or shoot down your hopes, just want you to know the risks are very real, high risk or not.

libbylu

My friend was interested in doing this initially with her twins.....second pregnancy, healthy, no complications after an easy singleton delivery. Both babies growing well etc. but her midwife wouldn't do it so she was booked into a hospital, which was just as well as even though she got to 36.5 weeks before labour started her twins had last minute twin to twin transfusion and she had to have an emergency c-section. One of them was quite sick after delivery. She doesn't regret going into hospital.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

HappyWomble

I was asking for someone with experience in birthing twins so I could hire them alongside my hospital care. I want continuity of care in my home in the lead up and post natal period. Twins are different. You all assumed. Read my original post again. Where else but the home birth section would I get this info? Rather than writing an essay, I asked for precisely what I was after: someone with experience in the area.

• Like 5

opethmum

I would not do home birth of twins, one may shift during the birth and you will endanger them. Please don't do this and don't believe anyone who will say that they can guarantee success of this happening. Too much can go wrong.

This is a high risk birth and you need to realise that, I have met so many mothers of twins who give birth naturally to one and end having an emergency c/s because one shifted after their sibling was out. Some mothers who have given birth naturally to both have also said that they needed blood transfusions because there was so much blood loss.

Before you get your heart set on a birth plan of sorts you have to be realistic with yourself and consider the babies safety first and foremost. Whilst I am sympathetic of your need to be calm and have a peaceful experience of childbirth, twins are a high risk birth and please come to peace with that. It is not a reflection on your ability to give birth but the reality of birthing twins and the shared experience of many in your type of pregnancy and birth outcomes.

Have a doula there, have some peaceful music to play and create a calm environment but also be mindful that this may not happen and learn to be ok and at peace with what may come. If you need help then perhaps seeing a counsellor maybe an option to come to terms with what may happen and or what has transpired in your twin's birth that caused you to be so upset.

Good luck and I wish the most optimal outcome for you and your precious babies.

Edited by opethmum
  • Like 1

FeralSingleMum

You asked for a midwife experienced in home birthing twins. No where in your OP did you put anything about having them in a hospital.

• Like 13

HGL

Can someone please PM me if they're aware of a midwife/midwives with experience in homebirthing otherwise low risk twins?

I was asking for someone with experience in birthing twins so I could hire them alongside my hospital care. I want continuity of care in my home in the lead up and post natal period. Twins are different. You all assumed. Read my original post again. Where else but the home birth section would I get this info? Rather than writing an essay, I asked for precisely what I was after: someone with experience in the area.

I read your original post and you asked for a "midwives with experience home birthing twins". Regardless that you want them to act as a doula in a hospital setting, you did specify a midwife with twin home birth experience. As PP have pointed out, you won't find a midwife with such experience as it is outside the bounds of their practice.

• Like 5

got my tinsel on

do I feel a flounce coming on?

• Like 3

Guest Cat_Blessed

If you're on FB you might find one of the home birth groups have more information. Good luck with your pregnancy and birth :)

Edited by Cat_Blessed
  • Like 1

Acidulous Osprey

I think she might have gotten different responses if she had said she was seeking midwifery support in a hospital. My first reaction was OMG no! Twins are not low risk and they are definitely not low risk at home with midwives who don't do them at home and are not experienced with twin birth without hospital back up.

• Like 1

HappyWomble

For what it's worth, i did get exactly what I was after with PMs. Thanks GlitterFarts. I think you said everything there was to say on this matter. And thanks for reminding me of those other places.

• Like 1

Soontobegran

You actually did ask for a midwife experienced in homebirthing twins........I think the answers you got were as a result of people presuming from this question that you wanted to homebirth twins. You mentioned nothing about ante and postnatal care or my response would have been different.

I apologise if we misread it but the truth is that you will not find a registered private midwife who is experienced at homebirthing twins.

Wishing you luck

Caitlin Happymeal

Just out of curiosity HW, did someone link you up with someone here in Brisbane? I am just curious because like I said, my initial search (albeit almost 5 years ago now) yelled nothing. I am wondering if they are out there!

I apologise if my answer wasn't what you were after, but you can see why we would all automatically think you were intending a home birth, based on your question?

Good luck with getting the delivery you are hoping for and like many of us have said, keep an open mind.

Steggles

My midwives (I talked to the Ipswich ladies) have started in the last few years and I have friends who have had great experiences with them. I believe they do what you are looking for :) (don't think they will HB multiples though).

Moulla

Your title reads, "Twin home birth Brisbane?"

I'm surprised that you are surprised with the responses!

• Like 5

ikealover

I found the homebirth community to be very close mouthed when people ask for info, can't blame them really but it is frustrating.

Hope you find what you are looking for OP.