mmk

Why home birth? And how long does it take to prep for CS if needed?

mmk

I've been lucky enough to be accepted into the caseload programme at my hospital. This means I have one midwife and I'm basically guaranteed being allowed a water birth (all things going well).

I spoke to the midwife for the first time today and she asked me if I'd considered a home birth. We hadn't really because obviously hospitals are safer (or so we assumed) but she told me that they would bring stuff for if I bled and stuff to resuscitate the baby if needed. So a home birth is now something we may consider...

For those that are happy to share, I'm curious why you chose to have a home birth. I've had 2 hospital births and I don't have any reason not to just do as normal and have another, but DD was 1hr 18 mins so there's a chance we might not make it anyway (20 min drive with no traffic and we'd need to find a babysitter) so maybe we should consider it.

I also have 3 other questions that I can ask in a couple of weeks when I meet the midwife, but can I have gas at home? Can the midwife use forceps or vacuum if needed? DS got stuck and needed forceps so I'd hate for this baby to get stuck too (already measuring large and others were both big too).

And lastly, if I gave birth at the hospital and needed an emergency CS how long would it take to organise theatre etc? Would being 20 mins from hospital really make me any later into theatre? That's my major concern I guess - that if something went wrong that I needed a CS I would've been better off in hospital...

Thanks for any insight!

ETA - I'm working night shift so today was actually yesterday... ;)

Edited by mmk

deejie

It's a bit quiet in this forum these days :)

For those that are happy to share, I'm curious why you chose to have a home birth.

I was unhappy with the care provided by my local zoned public hospital in Melbourne, particularly during labour and in the post natal period. They were dreadfully understaffed and generally unsupportive.

There is a lot of data to suggest that for "low risk" women, home birth under the care of a qualified midwife is as safe as birthing in hospital with the advantage of far less intervention (C/section, forceps, vacuum, episiotomy). You should discuss this with your caseload midwife.

but can I have gas at home? Can the midwife use forceps or vacuum if needed? ).

It may be different for caseload midwives working for a hospital home birth program, but my private midwife did not carry gas. Midwives attending home births do not do assisted deliveries, so no forceps or vacuum. Transfer to hospital is required.

Whether you are "better off" in hospital or not is a very individual decision. I had a lot of discussions with my midwife about the "what ifs" of various emergencies, what equipment she had access to, the when/if/how of transport to hospital and access to emergency back up facilities. It is a very important conversation to have with your midwife if you are exploring the possibility of birthing at home.

Birthing at home is not for everyone, no singular birth choice is for everyone. Having said that, having birthed once in my local hospital and once at home, I would personally much prefer to have our next baby at home unless I was required to transfer for medical reasons.

Good luck with your decision :)

Tinky Winky Woo

I would go to the hospital based on a lot of my own beliefs but also for security reasons. I would never get over loosing a baby I had at home because I decided to stay home to have it. I know I would not get over it having had it at a hospital with all the proper equipment and help if needed. But at least I would not have the guilt as much thinking 'if only I had been in hospital'.

Also given you have had to have forceps would you really be comfortable at home knowing you are that amount of time away from the hospital? When I had an emergency C-section after everything else failed it was a matter of about 15mins before I was having the full on surgery. The doctors and nurses do not muck around when it comes down to needing a C-section out of necessity. They get straight to it and it all happens int he blink of an eye.

• Like 1

secret~sammy

I had a homebirth turned ceasarian. I doubt it could have happened any faster had I been in the hospital from the start.

In fact, had I been planning a hospital birth the situation would have turned out worse becuase there way nothing about the way I was feeling that would have sent me to the hospital that afternoon. It was the fact that my midwife decided to come over to check on me after my inital contractions fizzled out that alerted us to my about-to-have-a-stroke blood pressure.

mmk

Thanks for your replies!

I would go to the hospital based on a lot of my own beliefs but also for security reasons. I would never get over loosing a baby I had at home because I decided to stay home to have it. I know I would not get over it having had it at a hospital with all the proper equipment and help if needed. But at least I would not have the guilt as much thinking 'if only I had been in hospital'.

Also given you have had to have forceps would you really be comfortable at home knowing you are that amount of time away from the hospital? When I had an emergency C-section after everything else failed it was a matter of about 15mins before I was having the full on surgery. The doctors and nurses do not muck around when it comes down to needing a C-section out of necessity. They get straight to it and it all happens int he blink of an eye.

I feel the same about knowing I won't get over it which is why I specifically want to know how long it takes to prepare for a cs at hospital compared to driving there. I spoke to a Dr at an appointment yesterday and he told me it would take 2 hours to get a cs if I had the baby at home. Having people like him around that lie to me makes me more inclined to want to birth at home!

Forceps - I spent 2 hours pushing before they asked it I wanted help. After having my daughter practically fall out and she was only 600g bigger I think I was pushing inneffectively. I think if I was to have my first again and knew what I knew now I could get him out myself. I think I was more using my tummy to push rather than pooing... I would concede well before it got to the 2 hours and get to the hospital so no forceps isn't going to make me too concerned, but I was curious. It's the if something goes wrong and I need a cs that worries me.

Deejie - there's been a lot of bad said about this hospital so possibly it's the same one! I had my other 2 at a different hospital and was happy but they don't do water birth and I would really like one...

I'll come up with a list of questions for my appointment in a couple of weeks and go from there.

Thanks again.

Still interested in why others chose homebirth if anyone's out there??? We're you the same as deejie?

mmk

I had a homebirth turned ceasarian. I doubt it could have happened any faster had I been in the hospital from the start.

In fact, had I been planning a hospital birth the situation would have turned out worse becuase there way nothing about the way I was feeling that would have sent me to the hospital that afternoon. It was the fact that my midwife decided to come over to check on me after my inital contractions fizzled out that alerted us to my about-to-have-a-stroke blood pressure.

You posted while I was busy doing some jobs in the middle of my post....

Wow! How lucky was that?!!! For both of you... Glad it worked out :)

Rusky99

In relation to the emergency c-section, the time it takes at the hospital depends on how 'emergency' it is.

My emergency c-section was around 30 minutes to theatre, but the issue was just that I was not dilating - there was no foetal distress.

When my mum gave birth to me, my heart stopped beating and her emergency section was around 5 minutes from when they couldn't find my heartbeat until I was out - they just shoved a general anaesthetic in, cut (straight down her stomach rather than across to be faster) and pulled me out. A 15 to 20 minute wait and I would not have made it.

mmk

When my mum gave birth to me, my heart stopped beating and her emergency section was around 5 minutes from when they couldn't find my heartbeat until I was out - they just shoved a general anaesthetic in, cut (straight down her stomach rather than across to be faster) and pulled me out. A 15 to 20 minute wait and I would not have made it.

This is what worries me... :( 5 minutes is pretty quick and I'm enough of a nutcase without adding to it of we were in the same situation at home... :(

WinterIsComing

I find it very strange that your middy recommended it to you. It is highly unorthodox in Australia. .. and a very personal, non mainstream decision.

deejie

This is what worries me... :( 5 minutes is pretty quick and I'm enough of a nutcase without adding to it of we were in the same situation at home... :(

My midwife and I had a big discussion about heartbeats during labour. What she said makes sense: babies hearts don't just "stop". The heart rate goes down, the heart rate is slow to recover after contractions eg baby shows signs of distress beforehand. Distress = immediate transfer.

Midwives attending homebirths carry portable dopplers and can check baby's heart rate as often as necessary/as often as you please. FWIW-- when I was in hospital, the fetal heart rate was not checked anywhere near as frequently as when I was in labour at home with my very own midwife watching over me!

mmk, you obviously have a lot of worries and a lot of concerns. If you are considering homebirth, I think these are best discussed with your midwife rather than letting anecdotal "scare" stories (or anecdotal "good" stories for that matter!) from strangers influence your thinking.

• Like 4

bubba boo

I've had 3 homebirths. The first was due to location and being concerned I wouldn't make it to hospital in time ( turned out I would have given birth on a jetty waiting for help to arrive if I wasn't at home). The second I wanted a waterbirth which I couldn't get in hospital, I wanted not to have to go anywhere during labour, I wanted to recover in my own bed at home, I wanted my kids present, I wanted to birth in the comfort of my familiar home knowing everyone present very well and having my wishes known and respected. My third was the reasons above plus it turned out to be an unexpected breech birth and I had the benefit of those attending the birth being experienced with breech births, something which not many people have these days.

Tinky Winky Woo

I get the impression you are actually very worry about staying home but the midwife has put doubts in your mind.

Go with what you know is best and what might give the best outcome. Ignore what midwives and doctors say.

And it can take 2hrs to get a theatre for a non-emergency c-section. But if you were in the hospital and needed and emergency C-section they do and will bump non-life threatening surgery to fit you in. And some hospital's have one or two theatres kept free for extreme emergencies.

• Like 1

TheFirstNoel

I agree with the PPs, first and foremost you need to feel safe, confident and supported.

I had a homebirth with #4 after 3 good hospital births. I chose homebirth because #3 was so quick (made it to the hospital, he was born about 10 mins later) I was really worried about a side of the road birth for #4.

My caseload midwives did not have gas. I knew this, but still asked! Posterior labour is hard! (of course, my first homebirth/no drugs is the one that is posterior, longer, and super painful!) They also would not do forceps/vacuum. That would require transfer.

mumsoon1975

I've been lucky enough to be accepted into the caseload programme at my hospital. This means I have one midwife and I'm basically guaranteed being allowed a water birth (all things going well).

OP, I didn't have a home birth (and am grateful, due to complications that arose as my DD was born) so feel free to disregard my comments, but I do wonder why you're considering this now.

Reading the above, you seem very happy to have been accepted into the hospital program and were keen to proceed with that. You also don't seem to have had any inclination toward a home birth before your midwife raised it.

Given home birthing is, as a pp notes, a highly personal decision and the additional concerns you've identified about potential complications and how you would deal with them it sounds, to me at least, that the caseload programme may be the better option for you.

As I said, feel free to disregard, it's just a stranger's take on your posts above.

mmk

Reading the above, you seem very happy to have been accepted into the hospital program and were keen to proceed with that. You also don't seem to have had any inclination toward a home birth before your midwife raised it.

Given home birthing is, as a pp notes, a highly personal decision and the additional concerns you've identified about potential complications and how you would deal with them it sounds, to me at least, that the caseload programme may be the better option for you.

It's through caseload that I get the water birth and option of homebirth. I did originally consider it and it's what led to me looking into water birth as an option and ultimately being so determined to get into caseload. The midwife asked if I'd considered it and that was all she mentioned, but I wanted some reasons people chose it as maybe those reasons are things I'd not thought of.

I'll chat to her in a couple of weeks and see what she says. I think from their stats they've never lost a home birth baby which is reassuring, and I'm not anti hospitals so would be happy to transfer if needed. It would be nice to avoid doctors like the one I met the other day at an appointment organised before I was accepted into caseload...

fi-baby

I have had 3 amazing homebirths. I originally wanted a birth centre birth, but the birth centre here is run by independent midwives and not attached to the hospital. So ultimately I got the same care at home as I would have done at the birth centre.

I lived 3 minutes from the hospital so timing for a transfer wasn't an issue. Having said that, the care I received from my midwives was outstanding. Because they are monitoring you, and only you from the time they arrive, they are very quick to pick up on any anomalies. I don't know if that's the case in hospital or not.

Ultimately, you will labour most effectively where you feel safe and comfortable, but homebirth in Australia can be a very safe and viable option and I'm really glad I made that choice.

mmk

Thanks fi-baby for your reply, but I should have updated on Friday...

I asked about home birth and the midwife is unable to use forceps (no big deal) and also won't have gas (a BIG deal). I'm expecting another big baby (already 3cm ahead on the tape measure at 26 weeks - if there's any accuracy in that) so if I'm pushing a baby out I want my gas!

I have decided to aim for a water birth at the hospital which has made others around me more comfortable. I am ok with that.

The midwife also said that I have to go to my 36 week appointment at the hospital (which I was going to not go to) if I want a water birth. She's pretty sure which doctor it was I saw at my last appointment and she will make sure that the next one is with the nice doctor, not him ;)

Thanks everyone for your replies though.