Therese

FYOS 2014 thread number 2

Gumbette

Thanks for reminding me SlinkyMalinki, we've got a parents evening tomorrow night too. I'd almost forgotten.!

Avidreader

SM that is hilarious re the Ipad. It is also the only thing my DS talks about. If I went off what he said I would assume the only thing they do all day is play on the Ipads!

We also have an info night on Wednesday and then can organise a meeting if we want to let them know extra info. I think I will take up the opportunity to discuss DS' speech issues and how they will extend him in English and Maths.

All the boys in his class have said they are coming to his party so so far so good on the social front!

CrankyM

I am glad I am not the only one that wonders what they do in class. Though T was very happy to show me the interactive whiteboard thing and the "traffic light system" they use for behaviour.

Is everyone else's FYOS kids doing readers? I only ask because I have friends in QLD/VIC and NSW and the impression I got was they have all started readers. We haven't and there has been no mention of them. I do know our school does a very play based learning for FYOS and turns more academic in the 2nd half of the year. They encourage a lot of big movements (I dropped in to pick t up for a pead visit and they were playing jump in the puddles as it has been raining lol). T's OT seems to improve of this anyway. Something about physical activity combined with learning making learning sink into the brain better at this age.

They do seem to be doing lots of letter play at the moment. This mornings starting activity during the 15 min settling time was making letters out of play dough and matching the letter to pictures, writing their names on little whiteboards and "alphabet soup" where they have to combine a bunch of pictures with the letter on each little container.

cristina86

-

Edited by cristina86

Ianthe

Level 18 and she just started? What state?

cristina86

-

Edited by cristina86

barrington

At DD2's school, the formal reader program begins in term 2. They spend term 1 concentrating on oral language. However if your child is already reading, then readers are sent home from week 2.

Gumbette

DD can read, but no readers here :shrug: The lazy mum in me is secretly relieved. The sensible mum thinks she might be bored if she's being taught the alphabet and kindergarten sight words

newphase

Tiredbuthappy... there is several bits why I guess he hates going to school. One is he os tired to begin with as getting him to actually go to sleep by 8pm ( I start at 6.30pm the shower, his readers, then I read him a book) is very hard with a12yo brother who is up until 9pm and a 14yo sister who stays up later too. He feels he is missing out. 2) he has to get up at 7am to get straight in the car to take his older siblings to train station by 7.15.

3) he has been the only child home for the last 5.5yrs most days and his Grandma has been a large part in his life as Carer for him when I work...after divorce. So he is spoilt rotten pretty much, being home he was waited on her hand and foot and had a personal play mate and chef.

Going to school impacts on his play time.

He comes home fine and tells me he had a good day and seems happy enough, until bed time when he tells me isn't going to school tomorrow its to long.

DS has had readers from day one, and by the weeks end has 4 for the weekend, they keep each book a full week. And he brings home lottle books they make with a story re a letter, or a word like 'the' and we read them too and go thru his alphabet sheet.

newphase

And no regular use of IPads at DS' s school that I know of, at least not in Prep...one of the reason I chose it! Other school my older DS went to u had to buy or lease one as they use it often, I dont like that so young.

CrankyM

newphase - T's grandparents gave us the money to buy T one for xmas. We haven't yet, as when he had access to mine he because very very obsessive over it and then cue behavioural issues. So he has little access to it (after he threw it and ta da cracked the screen) and the school doesn't have them. I do like that he did learn a lot of stuff from the apps I had as well as the ones the speechie said were good, but it just wasn't worth the behaviour stuff. So I am mixed about their use in the early childhood years of school

karkat

No readers here yet, but DD says she does lots of reading with the teacher each day. We have an info night tonight, so imagine readers will start after that, maybe next week. Just from reading at home with DD I can see a huge improvement in her reading already, picking out lots of words that she previously didn't know. I imagine she'll still start on level 1 readers.

DD is just loving school, gets a bit tired towards the end of the week but happy once she gets to school. She's seen lots of the kids that she did her first year of kindy with who are now Grade 1 kids.

Hope the year continues to go so smoothly for us!

Hope everyone who's little one's are crying are doing ok (DD2 is doing this at kindy), it just tears at your heart!

gabbigirl

After a great start, my Little girl is getting clinger each time I leave her. She tells me she hates all the noise. She has always been sensitive to noise and temperature but I suppose it was managed at daycare as they had sleep time. Now with none, she is starting to get bothered by it. I spoke to the teacher and she said she just has to get used to it, she has noticed her sitting there with her hands over the ears at times. But in all other aspects she is fine. Anyone with any tips?

newphase

Gabbigirl Interesting re the noise with your DD. Having only had my DD diagnosed with HFA (High functioning Autism) in yr 7 at 13yo, I can see back to prep some things I never really paid attention to. Not noise, but now it is a huge issue, and the more I have read this is a big thing. Other things though were and issue in Prep, hated lunch times, to long etc. Not saying that your DD is on the Spectrum at all, just struck a cord with me. Can you get some child sized ear plugs perhaps? And not everyone HAS to get use to noise, some just can't. I wish I had more wisdom 10yrs ago. Now DD doesn't do music, she just can't handle it, and is at a small school as she can't handle noisy/business/chatter.

Mayahlb DS has an IPAD mini, but i prefer to monitor its use at home. I don't mind their being used, BUT when I have to buy one for school it tells me they are using it way more than I like it to be used. Everything in moderation.

• Like 1

gabbigirl

New phase, thanks for your post. I have often thought about this with my sensitive girl, as I have dealt with her tantrums over the years. I have looked and re looked at those lists BMJ has posted, and she just doesn't tick off to many items. She plays beautifully, no obsessions, her speech and learning skills are very on average. Her sensitivities are noise, temperature, and she likes to touch,me, a lot of the time. And she can throw a good wobbly. I have thought about taking her to a dev paed but the many behaviours are just not there. I often think in my head that she has a few 'spectrummy' behaviours, but not enough to diagnose, if that makes sense? Just one sensitive kid....Or maybe it's just me? I don't know...will see how we go with school.

Gumbette

Hi gabbigirl

Have you looked at sensory processing disorder? Maybe make an appt with a developmental paediatrician anyway, they have so much experience with these sorts of things. Noise isn't a huge issue for DD - she goes to the movies, parks, watches fireworks etc. with no reaction, but sometimes something comes onto television and she runs out of the room with her hands over her ears. We're due for her check up in May and it was one of things I going to bring up.

Good luck.

• Like 1

cristina86

-

Edited by cristina86
  • Like 1

gizboo

DS2 started Mon last week, and so far loves school, he is so excited every morning :D such a relief because he is my slightly clingy one lol He has been doing kiss n drop in the morning since his 3rd day, and started catching the bus home on Friday afternoon. Just slotted right in with his brother & sister.

Already recieved a birthday invite for a 6th birthday, he is my 3rd at school and if his year is like my older children the majority of his grade will be turning 6 this year (NSW Cath school with a Feb cut off)

Readers came home Tues last week (along with the first 15 sight words), he started on a Level 1, but came home this Monday with a Level 3. DS2 got the same teacher that his brother had, she is fantastic so very happy, there are 3 classes of 20-22 this year.

Greatmum

In NSW children have to start school by 6. So a January child cannot b held back.

CallMeFeral

I'm a bit worried about DD - she's not dreading school or anything, but it's been a week and she's still saying she doesn't have any friends and nobody wants to play with her. She's normally very outgoing and makes friends easily, so it's worrying me :(

CrankyM

CallMeProtart: can you ask her teacher? DS1 will tell me something completely different from what actually happened at school. That is if he will talk about it.

gabbigirl - I was going to say something about sensory processing disorder as well. I have a friend with a son who has it and he doesn't tolerate noise very well at all. Our OT said sometimes it just overwhelms them and they feel it in their skin as pain even though we don't. I don't tolerate loud noises very well, but then I have a few minor hearing issues. An assessment by a OT would be able to see if it is this, though getting an appointment for a development Pead. would make sure everything was looked at. Sometimes, even though we think they don't tick every box on the lists that they provide as indicators for ASD, the professionals can see it. We are waiting fro an autism assessment for T and he isn't obvious in anything really except for his speech. But then you have professionals say, well what about this and that etc.

I loved how today in the classroom they had a big scrap book up with photos and a short blurb telling us what they have done for the last week. It was a nice way to see what is happening in the classroom, without having to talk to the teachers. Which considering I am only there for maybe 10 mins and he goes to After school care make life easier

Edited by mayahlb
  • Like 1

newphase

CallMeProtart It's a hard one. A kindergarten/preschool is os much smaller, easier to find someone to play with at primary, the kids sprawl out making it a bit harder. It's only 2 weeks in, lets hope in another week it's all sorted. Also as mayahlb pointed out, maybe a quick chat to the teacher, to see what her POV is re the friends thing. A child not getting there way, or having to share attention may perceive things as no friends or any othe mayrid of reasons to a 5/6yo may appear different to an older person.

gabbigirl - When the psych from the RCH mental health team told me after a few 1hr visits and a couple of minor assessmets that she thought my daughter (then 13) had Aspergers I said 'no way' she is just quirky/highly strung.

I then read up on it, and everything said no to Aspergers for me. Then after a visit with a school recommended psych (whilst waiting on public list to 'deny' that she had Aspergers in my mind) after much more trouble re DD not going to school, hours rocking in the corner at 2, 3, 4am standing up she said in her 27yrs experience my DD does have it she will bet her life on it...read x, y and z which is more aimed at the different presentaion of Aspergers in girls. Not just categories, but broken down into subcategories and dot points...DD ticked all those boxes!!

As a 5 yo DD said see ya and ran off 1st day of school, same 1st day of kinder and daycare as a 3yo. She was smart (reading simple books as she turned 4, numbers, adding and subtracting. Very well behaved in general at home and at school she was an angel. Toliet trained day and night at 2 1/4, eating a variety of foods, and very social. Had eye contact. BUT as she got older, grade 1 I can now see things that I wrote off as just her personaility, I can see now as ASD traits.

By grade 4 it all slowly began to unravel until yr 7...wham a ton of bricks fell on my head and kept taking aim on me until this day. As the psych said to me when I asked how did it take until 13 for her to be diagnosed, for me, anyone, to know this about her. She said, her abilities were keeping up with her disability, then the scales tipped finally for her, her ability to keep coping in social situations and all else saw her head eventually go under the water so to speak. She had had issues, multiplying since grade 4 especially, but not all the time, not constant, or anyone thing and throw in a new baby after 7yrs, and a year later a seperation of her father and I and then her Dad re paretnering and moving in with said lady after 5mths etc, etc I just thought it was all life getting in the way for her, emotional upheavel...lots of rebelion and behaviours then, and then some!

Sorry for the essay, but all I am saying no harm no foul just to check things out, read up a bit, see what others say, couldn't hurt. Had I known earlier maybe I wouldn't be where I am today re DD, putting a bandage on everything instead of really trying to heal the issues, or manage them a whole lot betetr. No scare tactics, you know your DD more than anyone else, just believe you do always! :thumbs::whistle::unsure::rolleyes:

mayahlb I barely know what the inside of DS room looks like, we aren't encouraged in at all.

Gizboo...my bold wont turn off now. Hmm. Glad it is going well for you DS. Helps with siblings at school too, I wish there wasn't such abig gap between 2 and 3, then he'd have his brother there, alas he started HS this yr. and sounds like he is a good little reader in the making, going to be a long road here with DS2 I can see it!

• Like 3

Gumbette

How's your DS going now Newphase? Is he still clingy / crying at drop off?

gizboo

CallMeProtart, we have a FB group for our Kinder year and a lot of the mums had similar stories, ie kids having no one to play with. I think the schoolyard must seem massive to the little ones still. We organised a playdate after school, and they had no probs gelling at the local play cafe. I'm sure it will all settle in once they find their feet :) its tough when they say that though :(

Ianthe

We had tears yesterday morning and at recess but one of my daughter's friends saw at recess and went and got her. Very happy he has siblings there.

On the plus side he came home and wrote from 1-32 so he could tick all the numbers and we wrote a story together so he is loving the learning.