maryanneK

are wipes really necessary?

maryanneK

This might sound like a weird question but I'm just wondering if you always need to use nappy wipes....I use MCNs which have a thin fleece type lining and towelling type inserts. The wetness gets wicked through the lining part and into the inner insert so its not really wet cloth against my DDs skin. When I've changed them recently I havent bothered with nappy wipes as there is nothing to 'wipe' away, if that makes sense. I wipe over her skin with a dry part of the nappy but there's no wetness on her skin. So I'm wondering if there's any reason to use a wet wipe on her? Obviously with pooey nappies you need to and occasionally on a really wet one or where she's obviously got wee everywhere. But am I missing something about wiping when I change a normal wet nappy when as far as I can tell she's perfectly clean and dry? :ninja:

HGL

I think, and I have no formal science/nursing education, urea (ammonia) is left behind on the skin after a wee. So even though the skin is dry, the urea left behind can lead to irritation. Hence why you should still use a wipe ( or cloth wipe or cotton wool).

Edited by HGL
  • Like 8

laridae

Wet your pants, change your undies but don't have a wash. See what happens.

Dried wee is itchy!

• Like 20

libbylu

I never bother to wipe unless there is poo. He is bathed daily and isn't prone to nappy rash (nappies changed regularly) so I don't think a bit of urine dried on the skin really causes any harm. I mean, we don't wipe our own nether regions with wet wipes do we?

ETA I find that using wipes more often results in more rash because it wets the area and creases too much, then I have to use more cream and it just results in a longer process when it's extremely hard to keep him on the table for more than 2 seconds.

Edited by libbylu
  • Like 6

littlepoppet

I use disposables and tend not to use wipes when their little bots look dry enough.

twirling

even though it is dried the skin ahs had contact, lots of, with urine. we clean at evey change but just use face cloths wet with water.

greenthumbs

I never bother to wipe unless there is poo. He is bathed daily and isn't prone to nappy rash (nappies changed regularly) so I don't think a bit of urine dried on the skin really causes any harm. I mean, we don't wipe our own nether regions with wet wipes do we?

Same. I would use washers if DS was at all sensitive, but he isn't so I often don't bother. First mornings change, poo change or super wet he's been in for too long, I use a wipe, but that's it. This is with disposables use, I can't remember what I did when using cloth, but probably similar.

Cuddlesnkisses

I use MCNs and don't use wipes unless she has poo'd

SnazzyFeral

We also don't regularly sit in a puddle of our own wee either. I use a wipe.

• Like 6

laridae

I mean, we don't wipe our own nether regions with wet wipes do we?

I personally don't wee into my underpants. I wee straight into the toilet, so the wee doesn't sit on my skin. Babies wee into a nappy, so the wee does sit on their skin.

• Like 5

(feral)epg

Generally at home I use a wet cloth, then dry the area with a flannel.

If I'm out and she feels dry I'll just change the nappy. I think some dried wee residue is better than wet wipe residue. Whatever the reason I certainly haven't noticed any nappy rash when I haven't used a wipe.

hills mum bec

My DD is 2.5 & the only time I have ever used wipes is first nappy change in the morning & if she has pooed. We use disposables & she has never had nappy rash.

Sheep

I don't bother unless there is poo. My son gets a little exzema and his doctor told me not to bother wiping unless there was poo, the wipes can aggravate the skin too.

Expelliarmus

With the fleece liner the urine isn't ON her skin.

OP, when I was using fleece liners I rarely wiped a wet one. I only wiped if it was so soggy the baby wasn't actually dry.

• Like 1

~Supernova~

No wipes unless there's a poo here either. And no issue with nappy rash.

• Like 1

maryanneK

thanks. yes I suppose it was some kind of dried up wee on her skin that I was wondering about wiping off, now that I think about it...She's not sitting in a wet nappy as PPs have said, all that moisture is in the insert which is why her bum is usually dry. She doesnt have any nappy rash or irritation at all and we bath her every day. I reckon that's clean enough...

niggles

I think your approach is fine, especially with a well lined modern cloth nappy.

FeralLIfeHacker

I never ever wiped unless there was poo. The fleece leaves the skin so dry and clean, most of the time even the fleece feels dry. We never suffered with rashes or anything. A daily bath was enough here.

PippiSea

Hi to You!

Umm well I did...I used wipes and a washer with water depending where I was. If you consider would you not wipe yourself after going to the toilet with toilet paper? If you wouldn't then fair go, if you do then I would wipe your little one. Saves skin irritation etc anyway.

Remember, you will only ever do what you feel is right for you anyway.

Cheers from PippiSea

[join me on my blog - www.pippisea.com or on Essential Baby - PippiSea blog]!

Edited by PippiSea

Lightning_bug

I think you can tell when it's necessary.

Some times I will, because her bottom is damp and you know that the nappy hasn't drawn all the wee away.

Other times the nappy has drawn the wee so there's been no irritation and the skin is dry.

Sometimes. As need be. But not always.

JomoMum

For wees I just use those little round Swisspers make up removal pads. I keep a little bowl of water under the table and just dip the edge of it in to wipe him clean.

For poos I use Huggies wipes, but then finish with a damp swissper as well. He has sensitive skin and I don't particularly like the wipes (they're just so good as getting rid of poo lol). And I reckon they'd strip paint off walls, I don't want to leave those chemicals on his little bot.

We use sposies too.

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

Never used a wipe for just for pee only for pooh. Never had any issues with any of my 3. They never even really had nappy rash.

Mummy_Em

I don't use wipes for wee and have never had issues with nappy rash with my two. Probably TMI, but I don't always use TP to blot after a wee either. I find the paper a bit irritating.

CallMeFeral

I had never even realised that people used wipes just for wee nappies. I had always assumed it was only a poo nappy thing!

No nappy rash issues here except poo-related ones (i.e. teething poo)

• Like 2

maryanneK

I had never even realised that people used wipes just for wee nappies. I had always assumed it was only a poo nappy thing!

No nappy rash issues here except poo-related ones (i.e. teething poo)

what on earth is teething poo?!