Sign in to follow this  
Justaduck

Ella couldn't wait 5 hours

Justaduck

I was booked in to have a repeat c-sec with DD2 at 8am on Friday December 20th. DD1s delivery & my recovery (via c-sec) was all pretty straight forward, so I was expecting similar this time around.

About 12:30am on the Friday I started having really bad pains high up in my stomach. I had had similar a few times late in the pregnancy and they didn't fit the criteria for contractions. I had taken some panadol and it didn't help, then tried a warm bath and still was in a fair bit of pain so gave the hospital a call. The only reason I rang was to see if it was safe for me to take a stronger pain killer (I can't take codeine) within several hours of my c-sec. They told me that it would be best for me to come down and go on the monitor just in case. I had been monitored a lot during the pregnancy (many days where I had no fetal movement + being at a higher risk for placenta issues with my high HCG levels + times where she had been tachycardic) and assumed it would be the same as all the others - go in, get monitored and come home, so I didn't bother taking my bags and I left DP at home to stay asleep with DD1 as I figured he will need the extra rest for DD2s first night.

I arrived at the hospital, got hooked up to the monitor and it was registering contractions coming pretty frequently so the midwife rang my Ob who said she would come in and deliver me now. I rang DP, who didn't hear his phone, rang Mum to arrange her to meet us at the hospital and take DD home, then finally got on to DP. He met me down at the hospital just in time for me to go in to theatre. At 3:48am we welcomed little Ella in to the world at 38w3d. She was a good size for still being 11 days early (I wasn't due til New Years Eve) at 3.41kg and 53cm long & her Apgars were 9 & 9. The rest of the delivery went smoothly and we had skin to skin as soon as DP trimmed her cord and then she fed in recovery and latched on well - DD had attachment issues so this was a big bonus for us.

I was vomiting a bit from the spinal and even having a sip of water was enough to make me ill again, but the rest of the morning went smoothly. DD2 came up to meet her little sister and has been really good with her ever since. She was a bit funny with me being in bed though. The paed ordered an ECG for DD2 as she had had a few periods of being tachycardic in her last few weeks in the womb, so we were waiting to hear back from the public hospital SCN next door about doing this. While we were waiting, a nurse came and took my Obs and noticed my heart rate was high and jumping all over the place so they ordered an ECG for me as well. My ECG revealed I was in Atrial Fibrilation and my heart rate was going up to 190bpm. I felt perfectly fine though and would have been none the wiser. My Ob was doing everything she could to make sure DD2 and I could be near each other, and in the end I ended up being transferred next door to the High Dependency Unit and DP and DD2 stayed in my room at the private. The plan was he would bring her over whenever she wanted to feed, however a nasty nurse changed this plan after I went to sleep. She said to me she was going to be mean and insist that I turn my phone off and have some rest, I just asked for it to be turned on vibrate and charged as it was my only contact with DP and the only way I could look at a pic of DD. She took my phone off me and plugged it in where I couldn't reach it (was bed bound at that stage) and couldn't care less how it was affecting me. After I fell asleep, she rang over to my original hospital and told them not to let DP come over for feeds and to just use my expressed milk.

I was absolutely furious when I woke up and found out what she had done and am still angry at her for it now. In the end I made them call him over at 6:30am and he stayed all through til 10pm (mean nurse knocked off at 7am) and we fed and slept all day. I was put on a ton of medications - blood thinners, heart rate stabilisers, potassium & sodium and no real cause could be identified for why I was in AF and had a racing heart and at that stage best case scenario was see the cardiologist on Monday (they only work M-F in the public hospital) and hope my heart reverted, otherwise would be in over Christmas on rhythm control meds. We had much nicer nurses from then on in and DP was able to bring DD over for a feed the second night, although I did spike a temp of 38.7.

After I still was having a racing heart beat on the Sunday afternoon, they called the Dr in to see me again. He ordered another blood test and the nurse came in with a giant needle. The next thing I know, I look at the screen and my heart rate is in a normal pattern, instead of racing like I would expect most people's too when they see a big needle, something clicked in my heart and it started beating normally. I was thrilled and ended up being able to be transferred back to my hospital to spend the night with DD and DP. Sadly, that is not the end of my dramas.

On Sunday evening we had friends come up to visit. I stood up from a chair and realised there was blood dripping down my leg. I thought "How embarrassing, I must be leaking" and went to the toilet and realised it was my wound - it was literally like a waterfall. The nurses helped clean it up and put a pressure bandage on and said it would be from the blood thinners & called my Ob. They wanted to leave it as is as there were two clots and if they disturbed them I could bleed out more.

Monday morning rolls around and the clots have gotten lumpier. Ob had a look at them and was happy to leave for now and just keep an eye on them. Again, another friend came to visit, I get up out of the chair and am bleeding again. This time both my Obs (they have a practice of two) come up and decide there is no way the incision will heal with the clots there and I have to have surgery again to drain them. That meant a risk of extra blood loss on the table and anaesthetic risk (as it was under a general) as I had eaten that morning.

Thankfully the surgery was successful and DD only had to have one expressed feed (luckily I stocked up antenatally, I think I just "knew" something would happen) while I was waiting for my supply after I had to pump & dump. I had to be stapled up in case they need to go back in as it is easier to remove a few staples than the whole length of stitches. Currently I am bruised as black as night, I have never seen bruising so bad except when someone has been beaten within an inch of their life and is on the news.

I am awaiting a heart ultrasound and cardiologist review and still on a ton of meds, but they stopped the blood thinners as otherwise my wound would never heal, but was so very thankful to have been well enough to be discharged at 3pm on Christmas Eve so I was home to spend Christmas morning with my girls.

• Like 1

Goggie

What an ordeal! I'm glad you are safe and well though OP and that your daughter is healthy. Enjoy the new year with your girls:)

Guest Cat_Blessed

Holy ****! Epic!

Congrats on your little girl and I hope you get better soon.

Sheep

Hope it's a bit calmer from now on, good luck!

FeralSis

Congratulations!

I truly hope the rest of your recovery is straightforward.

Justaduck

Thanks everyone :) Touchwood no more complications have arisen! The staples stung like hell to get pulled out but that has been the worst of it.

Had an ECG yesterday that was normal, so just need a normal heart ultrasound and all will be good!

Therese

Congratulations on the arrival of Ella :)

I really hope that your recovery goes well.