KnightsofNi

TV shows for 5/6 year old girls

KnightsofNi

My 5.5yo DD is growing out of all the cartoons that she has always watched on ABC2. But I am struggling to find age appropriate shows for her to watch.

She likes Barbie, but I really don't like it, it is all boys and clothes, and I won't let her watch it.

What does your 5/6 year old watch? I can download on iTunes or she can watch on YouTube if it is not on tv.

TIA.

hills mum bec

Hi-5

Paw Patrol

Bubble Guppies

Team Umi Zoomi

Dora the Explorer

These are all shows that my 2.5 year used to watch on Foxtel. We have recently got rid of Foxtel so now she is only watching ABC shows. I was really surprised, the shows on ABC seem to be targeting a much younger audience than the Foxtel shows.

Lynken

My 5 year old floats between favourites, but TV wise has enjoyed:

Team Umizoomi

Sofia the First

Charlie and Lola

Strawberry Shortcake

Bubble Guppies

Doc McStuffins

The Sooty Show

Lift-Off (Australian - bonus)

The Fairies (another Australian one)

Carabosse

My Little Pony (Friendship is Magic) over...and over...and over. (and after doing some research I am ok with that :ninja: )

Adventure Time

The Regular Show

The Amazing World of Gumball

The Muppet Show

Fraggle Rock

Charlie and Lola

Eloise

Tinkerbell Movies

Buddies Movies (you know the ones about the puppies...Snow Buddies, Space buddies etc)

Edited by Carabosse

Monket

The Powerpuff Girls!

SpaghettiMonster

What Lynken said. DD7 was watching those at age 5/6. I find Foxtel has a broad range of shows for kids. At $11 a week, it's wonderful to the extreme. There's even a show called Too Cute on The Animal Planet channel which features mini stories about newborn puppies and kittens that my DD loves.

WibbleWobble

Ceebeebies on Foxtel has great kids shows. My 5 year old loves the following:

Nina and the neurons

The green balloon club

I can cook

Andy's animal adventure

Mr blooms garden

If your DD loves Barbie, some of them aren't to bad and are not boy/clothes focused. Try the Christmas one (can't remember what it is called) and the one where Barbie becomes a mermaid.

Funwith4

My DD is 6 and has just discovered Jamie's 30 minute meals... she also loves Doc McStuffins, Sophia the first and Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

BeAwesome

My 5 year old still likes some ABC Kids shows, (Peppa, Ben & Holly, Octonauts), but also finds quite a lot boring / "babyish".

I don't like much of what I've seen in ABC3 yet, so we haven't allowed it yet. We don't have, and won't be getting Foxtel.

Maybe more luck with movies? Tinkerbell, most of the Disney Princess or Pixar ones, despicable me, Madagascar, ice age, new Muppets movie, she loves Beezus and Ramona.

• Like 1

Prancer is coming

My miss has just turned 7. She still likes abc2, but we have had pretty strict tv limits so she has not seen heaps of it. Stuff she likes on abc3 is backyard science, bundi's boot camp, operation ouch, splashalot and jake and the never never. Most of these are somewhat educational too. We also enjoyed watching the great Australian bake off when it was on, and she loves bindi vet.

Fave show at the moment is the wiggles of all things. Think it has something to do with having a female wiggle...

Justaduck

Lift-Off (Australian - bonus)

Where/when is that on? It used to be my favorite show at that age too!

podg

My 6 year old thought she'd wire up the TV to some speakers.

There was a pop, and the TV is no longer working.

We watch a bit of ABC online, and don't miss it that much.

• Like 1

ComradeBob

ABC is too old for 5/6 yos, I have to vet it quite carefully because some of it is way too sophisticated and scary for my 6yo DD and I don't let her watch a lot of it.

She especially loves Gumball and Scooby Doo.

GoneWithTheWhinge

Pound Puppies

Strawberry Shortcake

Care Bears

Scooby Doo

Garfield

Ninja Warrior

Border Security

Any police programme (in the hope of seeing robbers)

are favourites with Miss 5.

SukieTawdry

Jane and the Dragon. From NZ, I believe?

niggles

My Little Pony.

Quay11

My 5 year old still likes some ABC Kids shows, (Peppa, Ben & Holly, Octonauts), but also finds quite a lot boring / "babyish".

I don't like much of what I've seen in ABC3 yet, so we haven't allowed it yet. We don't have, and won't be getting Foxtel.

Maybe more luck with movies? Tinkerbell, most of the Disney Princess or Pixar ones, despicable me, Madagascar, ice age, new Muppets movie, she loves Beezus and Ramona.

We are starting to find ourselves in the same predicament. I also haven't liked much of what I've seen on ABC3. We don't want to get foxtel, but I might get a couple of DVDs of some of some of the shows recommended here.

I like the idea of Scooby Doo and Doc McStuffins looks good. I also loved reading Beezus and Ramona when I was a kid so will get that one too.

Lynken

Where/when is that on? It used to be my favorite show at that age too!

I haven't seen it on TV, but there are bits and pieces on YouTube. Takes some finding but start

FeralLIfeHacker

Dd just turned 5, she likes

Octonauts

Peppa Pig

Charlie and Lola

Little Princess

Mr Maker is a big favourite

Quay11

My 6 year old thought she'd wire up the TV to some speakers.

There was a pop, and the TV is no longer working.

We watch a bit of ABC online, and don't miss it that much.

That's awesome! Sorry about your TV, but as an electrical engineer myself I like how your daughter thinks :)

Jenflea

How about the Worst Witch on ABC? I think that was based on a book or series of books. But perhaps a teeny bit old for 5 and 6. Maybe more 10 and up.

riversong11

DD mainly watches movies and has all the Barbie ones. I definitely can't fault any of the Barbie movies because they all have some kind of message in it. There is a show called Barbie, Life in the Dreamhouse that I won't let her watch because it is about boys, clothes and that rubbish.

She also loves Charlie and Lola, Peppa Pig, Rugrats (when it was on), Arthur, The Magic School bus, Strawberry Shortcake, Lalaloopsies, and Sofia The First.

KnightsofNi

Thanks everyone.

I have tried out Bindi and Scigirl, which she enjoyed and I am happy with.

I find so much on ABC3 to be too old, too violent. And I can not/will not get foxtel.

I liked ABC2, as I could put it on at anytime and know something age appropriate was on. So many times I have flicked over to ABC3 and some violent show like Ben 10 has been on, so I think any decent shows on ABC3 don't get scene, as I avoid the channel.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I like Sophia the First Movie and TV series.

Around the twist my kids have been enjoying (4-8yrs boys & girl).

BlueUnicorn

Apart from ABC kids she loves Scooby Doo, Tinker belle and Care Bears movies.