~A2~

TTC after Vasectomy or Reversal or IVF Buddy Group #24

Mumma Steffie

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone checks in anymore but I'm pretty excited. My DH is booked in for his VR on the 7th of Feb, just under 3 years since V. We already have 2 beautiful children DD4 and DS3. I've regretted the V from about 6 months after it was done. My DH and I are now on the same page!!! So I'm about to start charting again this month in preparation for BD in the coming months.

Just wanted to share :)

• Like 1

Zanbam

Congratulations Mumma Steffie, my DH had a VR in October 2012 and we welcomed DS in September last year (5 weeks early!), it has been the best thing to ever happen in my life. Good luck for your journey.

Loulou87

Hi just wondering what the cost are when you get it done

sonyaw

Can someone please tell me how I can join the Facebook group please

Thank you

JustOne77

Can someone tell me how to join the FB group too pleaseeee!!! Thanks

EXU

I'm not sure anyone is still about as this thread looks pretty old, but we are also TTC post vasectomy reversal.

JustOne77

Doesn't look like anyone is still about :-(

My partner is going in on Thurs this week.

EXU

My DH had his done recently and this is our first month TTC, we obviously haven't had his first set of testing and results yet so we still don't know if it has worked or not. Thankfully DH has had a pretty easy recovery without much pain and apart from the scar still being a little raw is otherwise back to his usual self.

Hope everything goes well with your partner on Thursday and he has a speedy recovery.

JustOne77

Thanks! Where did your partner have his done? Mine is flying over to Sydney with Dr Woolcott. It's been 11years bw V and VR so I'm really nervous as I don't have kids and I'm 38. So a LOT Is riding on it!! Well I hope you guys don't even need the test and get your BFP before that!! How long after VR did you guys wait to TTC?

EXU

My DH had it done by a local urologist, not the best option I know, but it was either do that or wait another year. We had hoped to use Dr Woolcott because I had heard such great things but there is no option for us to travel to Sydney at the moment, DH has several issues with anaesthetics, so we had to anticipate a potential few night stay in Sydney. Thankfully DH only had some mild reactions to it this time and was able to go home that night.

As for TTC, the doctor said 4 weeks of rest, we didn't make it that long. I'm not sure what else was told to DH as I didn't attend any of the appointments, the only thing he took away and was able to report back was his absolute horror at 4 weeks lol.

From what I've read, and you really need to take this with a grain of salt because I am no expert here, they tend to range anywhere from a required 2-6 weeks rest then as much as possible to clear out the duds out to make way for the production of new, hopefully healthy ones. I was also kind of under the impression for the first 3 months it was pretty much certain there would be nothing there healthy enough to create a pregnancy, but I've since read reports of people getting their BFP first time trying.

The other thing I've read and discovered is there actually isn't much evidence as to how long to wait or how long it takes to conceive and current (often very conflicting) stats are 'common sense' as opposed to actual evidence. One comment I read I guess summed it up "who would sign up for such a trial." I have access to a university journal database and have to admit, I've not been able to track down too much information.

JustOne77

It's soooo nerve racking!!! My partner has flown in today, he missed the flight, not a very good start. Anyway he's there now. I couldn't go as I'm looking after his kids. I'm so nervous and hope everything goes well.

Then I'm just nervous about the first SA. I can't bear the thought of BFZero!! That would mean IVF again which was awful!!!

Yes I've heard and read so many conflicting theories also. But to play it safe I want to wait the 4 weeks of nothing. Then at least 2 full weeks of clearing the duds. I've seen people hardly wait at all!!

Oh I feel sorry for them. What a painful process. But I just hope it's worth it. As for who to use, I would think a urologist would have other benefits. I know they say there's only few Drs that specialize in doing them often and that's better etc. but I was actually tossing up between Dr W and a urologist. As the urologist specislizes in the entire male reproductive area!! So yeah Either way I hope we both have a BFB very very soon!!

EXU

I hope your partners surgery went smoothly today :)

JustOne77

Thanks! The surgery went well!! So let's hope it's only good news from here with a BFB asap!!

EXU

How's your partners recovery going? Hopefully it is going smoothly.

JustOne77

Yes so far so good. The swelling has gone down. Now it's just the waiting game. 3 months is a long time to wait for results. Then I'm so fearful of scarring over even if the first results are good. How r u guys going? When is your first SA?

EXU

Glad to here it's going well. DH's SA is in 2 weeks I think.

I've read taking vitamin E can help with scarring, don't know how much truth there is to it, but DH has been taking them. Figure it can't really hurt and they aren't very expensive.

JustOne77

Oh thanks. I'll be off to get those!! I wish I could keep my cool. But I'm just dreading everything! So scared of more disappointment and heartache. Anyway fx for both of us!

EXU

I think the not knowing is the worst part, you are kind of stuck in limbo.

Sometimes I feel confident that it'll have worked, other times it's almost like I've accepted it hasn't worked. I can swing back and forward hourly. I think once we do the first SA and find out if there is anything there, then it will hopefully settle. Thankfully I have been flat out with work, getting ready for our holiday and finishing the last few assessment tasks for uni that I have mostly been distracted.

JustOne77

Other than the SA itself, I don't know what to make of these antibodies. All VR surgeons are convinced they shouldn't be an issue. But then other medical professionals insist they can stop the sperm fertilizing the egg. Arghhhh there's just too much that can go wrong. But hoping and praying that everything works wonderfully!!! For both of us. Be sure to lmk how u go with your first SA!

EXU

DH has his appointment with his Dr tomorrow, should get the referral then. We are away for the next couple of weeks, will be glad to get away and not think about it too much (Hopefully).

I too have read a lot of mixed reports about sperm antibodies. I had read that 'keeping things moving' helps with the sperm antibodies, however on the flip side can mean sperm numbers are down.

JustOne77

I guess it's one step at a time hey. Let's just hope we get a (decent) sperm count. Oh that's nice that you're going away. Try your best not to think about it. I know easier said than done. Lmk when the results are in. We officially can start BD next Thurs. Still though, 2 months til our SA.

EXU

DH got the referral for it today, Dr said to go away and do it when we get back, wont have to think about the results while we are away then. DH said that the operation went really well and that the ends looked much healthier than he expected to see them and he expected they would heal well, so that was a big positive.

He did say one side was too short and so they had to turn 1 testicle around so it could be re-joined, which explains a lot because I kept telling DH something wasn't right, it makes so much sense now. I'd not heard of them doing that, but whatever works I guess

JustOne77

Ok at least we we're both told the operation went well. That's a good start. Yes I think it's a good idea to wait until you get back. Some ladies seem to buy a microscope and do their own tests lol. I don't think I could cope if I didn't see anything but I don't even trust I'd be doing it right. My Dr didn't tell me if he saw any live sperm during the VR. Did yours tell you? Either way?

When we do the SA I want to test for everything including antibodies etc, not just a count, and I want a repeat test every 3 months. I need to know as early as possible if things aren't fantastic for ttc naturally as I'm too old to be trying for years. Then I'd need to move on to ivf otherwise. I hope and pray tho that the VR is a complete success and a BFP right away!

Edited by JustOne77

EXU

Lol, I got my DS a microscope for his birthday, didn't even think of that.

DH is coming up with every excuse under the sun not to send off that SA. He said the doctor didn't mention anything about alive sperm or not, just the tubes were healthy.