fillyjonk

FYOS - is shoelace tying still in the syllabus?

fillyjonk

My son is in his first year of school and has a very smart pair of lace up shoes.

Almost every morning we have a heated discussion about how he is not allowed to wear laceup shoes, that the teachers tell him that he needs to get some velcro ones that he can do up himself. The way he tells it is that his teacher constantly nags him, and only him, about the shoes but the truth is that someone said *once* to the whole FYOS group something about velcro shoes. Whatever they said, it was dumb because school had already started and shoes had already been bought. But I doubt they would have guessed the lasting impact.

I understand it is a pain in the bum for teachers to be tying 15 sets of shoe laces and in retrospect I would have bought him some velcro ones. But this is how it is, and he is stuck with laces at least until he grows out of these ones.

So I am trying very hard to teach him how to tie his own shoelaces. We are not getting very far unfortunately. I watched a several you tube videos on how to teach it but couldn't find anything that worked for me.

So do schools teach shoelace tying these days? I don't remember learning much of my kindergarten days but I do remember the big red boot with yellow shoelaces and the certificate for learning to tie my own laces.

Feral Grey Mare

Great! Lets add another task that should be learned at home to the school curriculum. Either teach your child to tie their laces or suck it in and buy Velcro shoes. It really isn't that difficult to work out.

• Like 25

cinnabubble

My daughter certainly wasn't taught shoelaces in FYOS last year. More's the pity.

butterflyme

I can't speak for all schools, but we don't teach shoe-lace tying at my school in prep/foundation (FYOS).

Chucky & Slappy

We were told in no uncertain terms prior to fyos at info night not to send them to school in laces unless they could definitely tie them independently.

We were also told that teachers will not tie shoelaces that have come undone.

• Like 3

livvie7586

OP, your son is younger than DD, and i wouldnt expect her to tie shoelaces yet. DS1 and his classmates are still struggling with the concept, and it certainly hasn't been taught at school.

you may just have to suck it up and buy velcro ones, or replace the laces with elastic

Pull Up A Beanbag

Given the number of shoelaces I have to retie in a day, no.

I agree with others - buy him a pair of velcro shoes. His fine motor control might not be up to shoelaces yet, everyone develops it at different stages.

Otherwise, try some shoelace tying songs

http://teachers.net/lessons/posts/1952.html

fillyjonk

Great! Lets add another task that should be learned at home to the school curriculum. Either teach your child to tie their laces or suck it in and buy Velcro shoes. It really isn't that difficult to work out.

Now, now. Don't be snarky. I have only had one prior experience of kindergarten and that was my own. From that sample of one, I learned to tie my shoelaces. Is it unfair to guess that it might occurr in other places at other times?

And as I said, I am in fact teaching him to tie them. Just like I am teaching him to read, write and do simple maths. I am just not very good at shoelace instruction.

And no, I am not going to buy him velcro shoes and waste a perfectly good pair of leather laceups.

----

Edit to moderate response. I really don't plan to buy him a new pair of shoes because we do not have access to good quality shoes her in China at a reasonable price. This pair he has were bought well over a year ago before we moved here knowing the difficult access to shoes.

Last time we were in Australia we bought the next size up for him and they are indeed velcro and he will likely be moving into them in the winter term (Januaryish). Until then, I am afraid that everyone is just going to have to suck it up and help with his shoelaces if he cannot learn to tie them in the interim. I did a triple knot this morning so hopefully they will not cause any distress during the day.

If we had been forewarned not to send him in laceups then we wouldn't have. But *shrug*

Edited by Fillyjonk

PrincessPeach

I don't think it has ever been in the curriculum in Qld actually, however I know my mum did use to teach this during the first few weeks of term - she had year 1.

She did it because it made her life easier when they did swimming. Mind you she did retire 15 years ago, and things have changed a lot since then.

All my teachers friends are in high schools so they have no idea of the current situation.

Bluey04

Not in our school. DS1 at 6 is still struggling with the concept too and I have tried and tried to teach him at home. at least his school shoes are Velcro ones :D

Romeo Void

My DD is in grade 1 and STILL can't do shoe laces. 2 weeks ago I gave up and pulled the laces out and replaced them with elastic, it works brilliantly!

• Like 2

ChunkyChook

Bullsh*t to that! DD will be wearing velcro in grade 3, I would never do that to the poor teachers who already have way more than enough on their plates.

carriesshoes

My DD starts FYOS next year, and I hadn't really thought about it.

Funny though - I remember learning how to tie shoe laces in kindy. They had cards with shoes printed on them and laces through holes that you could practice on. I also remember taking the cards home to practice. I think it's becase I sucked at it, that the memory of beigh taught at school remains burned in my brain!

AmberNut

My mum taught me. Before I could tie them properly she taught me to make two loops and then tie them.

I don't think these types of life skills as well as items such as personal hygiene need to take up space in the curriculum.

katniss

I don't really understand why you would need to be forewarned about lace up shoes? I just put my son in Velcro shoes until he could tie his laces. Common sense says that it would be frustrating for a teacher to be constantly tying up shoes all day.

• Like 7

librablonde

Nope OP, not in the syllabus. I taught my DD1 and it was long, painful, very tearful, tantrums and chaos until she finally learned to do her laces before Kinder started. DS1 still can't do it and he's in Prep now. He wears black Blundstones to school as I find velcro shoes just get wrecked with him too quickly.

fillyjonk

Ambernut, that is a fair call. But the school he is at seems to put some emphasis on these "life skills," using those very words. So last year (Nursery/pre-k) they had a focus on doing up their own zippers (cold winters = coats). I truly thought that tying shoelaces might come in here to.

fillyjonk

I don't really understand why you would need to be forewarned about lace up shoes? I just put my son in Velcro shoes until he could tie his laces. Common sense says that it would be frustrating for a teacher to be constantly tying up shoes all day.

Again, this goes back to my own kindergarten experience. I only ever had laceup shoes. I always always wanted buckles but the ugly Clarks that my mum insisted on only ever had laces. Of course I can't speak for every single child at the time but my recollection is that most people had laceup shoes. If I was at home I would look at my old school photos. Did they even have velcro shoes back then? Why do they even sell laceups in such small sizes if children of that age are unable to tie them?

The other thing is that, as I said, I bought these shoes when he was 3.5 years old, not knowing what access I would have to shoes here.

Edited by Fillyjonk

Just Another Cat

My mum taught me. Before I could tie them properly she taught me to make two loops and then tie them.

^ have you tried the two loops method? This is how I learnt after failing miserably at learning the other way.

Edited by Just Another Cat

.Jerry.

I have been a teacher for 25 years. Shoelace tying has never been part of the curriculum, but that doesn't mean that teachers do not try to teach it, as it is a useful skill.

When I taught lower primary I had those cards with laces in them, spare old shoes etc and I used "spare" moments to try to teach shoelace tying. It really can only be taught one on one successfully, therefore would not really be part of a classroom style curriculum.

I would say in my 25 years of teaching that I have only been able to teach less than a dozen kids how to tie shoelaces in class time.

Heck, my own 7 year old cannot yet tie shoelaces. I have tried. She simply does not have the motor planning skills to be able to do it yet.

• Like 3

snaghound

Just replace laces with elastic. Definitely never heard of being taught to tie laces at school.

• Like 1

fillyjonk

I am definitely doing the elastic thing!

• Like 4

AmberNut

Ambernut, that is a fair call. But the school he is at seems to put some emphasis on these "life skills," using those very words. So last year (Nursery/pre-k) they had a focus on doing up their own zippers (cold winters = coats). I truly thought that tying shoelaces might come in here to.

I think it also depends on the teacher and the other kids a bit. Not all the lessons learned at school are on the curriculum Whilst I have been thinking about this, its brought back some lovely memories of my prep/1 teacher and grade 6 teacher. Some of the greatest lessons that I learned from them were not about any curriculum.

Bless Mrs Seekamp and Mrs Kadecka!

Edited to add that whilst I've been waxing lyrical Snaghound has had the best idea yet!

Edited by AmberNut

2_little_boys

Not in our school either. DS1 (now 10yo) finally "got it" only last year. DS2 (6yo) has no idea. Thankfully his teacher doesnt mind retying laces as grandma bought lace up instead of velcros lol

librablonde
Again, this goes back to my own kindergarten experience. I only ever had laceup shoes. I always always wanted buckles but the ugly Clarks that my mum insisted on only ever had laces. Of course I can't speak for every single child at the time but my recollection is that most people had laceup shoes. If I was at home I would look at my old school photos. Did they even have velcro shoes back then? Why do they even sell laceups in such small sizes if children of that age are unable to tie them?

Same here, OP. I always had lace-up Clark's shoes from Kinder and onwards. I don't remember any teacher ever tying them for me and so I was taught by my mum before I started school. My DS1 can't tie shoelaces yet due to poor fine motor skills and SPD issues so it's frustrating with a child who just can't master that skill yet. Although I suspect that the vast majority of kids who can't tie laces are just b/c their parents don't spend enough time teaching them rather than so many children having a developmental delay. That's not to say all parents are slacking off, but I suspect there is a sizable proportion that do.