lucky 2

Okay, who is having a home birth or considering one?

lucky 2

Hello,

It is time for a new thread.

The link to the old thread is here

Kind regards to all,

lucky 2

lucky 2
whoops, wrong linkie there Lucky 2

Yep, oops, all fixed!

lucky 2

And whilst the topic of due in lists has been raised (more interesting timing!), I just removed an old due in pinned thread that has been inactive for a year+. If you want to use this thread for a due in list that's fine but I can start a new pinned thread instead.

Your call :) .

WDYT?

Fox-in-Sox

Hi there!

I don't post in here much but my first baby was born at home 18 months ago and I am now pregnant with my 2nd and planning to have a homebirth again.

Don't know many homebirth mums iRL so would love a chat thread but it does seem very quiet in here.

I'm due end of January - around the 28th :-)

TheFirstNoel

I'm due early october. All systems go for a homebirth! 10 weeks to go and counting - I am sooooooooooooo not ready yet...:unsure:

deejie

Just stalking :ph34r:

We're not quite ready to have another baby.... yet! We'll probably start trying in the next few months though :D

Fox-in-Sox you're right, it has been very quiet in here lately.

leisamd- I know what you mean by not feeling ready! I remember being hugely pregnant (36 odd weeks) and moving house. I was sending DS2 mental messages not to come yet not to come yet not to come yet. Thank goodness he listened ;)

suline

Im booked in with the community midwifery program here in Perth, planned home birth for my first baby, due early March.

• Like 1

Fox-in-Sox

Nice to hear some others are planning homebirths in the near future.

Leisamd - that is exciting that its only 10 weeks to go. Still a bit of time to get prepared. Hope all is going well.

Rosiebird - I was a bit the same with my first, had the midwife booked and thought I'd just see how I felt. I'm so thankful I didn't have to drive to the hospital in the end because my DS came quite fast and would've been close to not even making it to the hospital!

Suline - hope all goes well as you plan your first home birth - it's very exciting! I have a couple of friends due early march too - hope the first trimester is treating you well.

Deejie - your boys are just way too cute!!

I had my dad over yesterday and he made some comment about having another homebirth... Then said how he was worried about me and seemed quite disapproving. Made me feel quite defensive and a little bit of a loss in confidence. Just wondering if others have got comment from friends or family that have been a bit hurtful. How do you handle it? Do you still feel confident in your choices? I got a few comments with my DS being born at home but mostly people are quite positive and supportive. Make it harder to take when it comes from someone close like your dad...

TheFirstNoel

Foxinsox, that would be hard. Most of our family have long since thought of us as crazy so they haven't been too bad about the homebirth thing! My MIL did ask if i was going to eat the placenta, & they seemed to think that a waterbirth was mandatory. Oh, & that they'll babysit my olders so "they don't have to see that". gotta love them.

slowly getting organised, & simultaneously more excited!

suline

Fox-in-Sox - I figure since my husband is on board with home birth, it doesn't matter what other people think. Work doesn't officially know I am pregnant, i think a couple of people have guessed - I won't be sharing my birth plans really at work - I work in a NICU and the neonatal doctors and many of my nurse colleagues are very anti-homebirth, so I don't need to take on board their grief. There is maybe 5 or 6 nurses who are totally on board with home birthing so Im sure we will create our own little support group. I just plan on saying I am going to KEMH which will be my backup hospital anyway.My parents don't know we are pregnant either, my mum knows I have always wanted a home birth and I think she will be okay about it, she had a traumatic birth with me in a private hospital, and she has worked as a theatre nurse for many years, and knows how many of the private Obs+gynaecologists speak about their clients behind their backs, so she is pro midwife deliveries anyway…..my husbands parents Im not sure what they will think lol!

Rosiebird part of my reason for booking with the CMP is that if I decide to go to hospital for labour and birth the can still act as my midwife there. I don't want to step foot in my catchment area hospital, but the CMP will book me in to the hospital where I work, and where they can stay as my midwife too.

Edited by suline

TheFirstNoel

Hope everyone is going well!

I'm pretty upset after meeting with the ob to yay or nay my homebirth (public system)

Basically she said it will 'probably be no' due to some complications after my 2nd birth 6 years ago.

Everything looks perfect this pg & no homebirth seriously makes the chances of a side of the road/accidental freebirth pretty high. But that's apparently safer than the very unlikely repeat of a very situation specific event (no indications of similar circumstances)

TheFirstNoel

Sorry, pretty upset atm. I was never a gung ho homebirther but this feels like they're looking for an excuse to shrug issue& say no rather than discuss with me to find a solution...

grrr...

with 7 weeks to go i don't need this stress. (yes I'm quite hormonal!)

Edited by leisamd

LilyFrog

Hi,

I really feel for you. I would be pretty upset if I got a no to home birth too.

Have you considered hiring private midwives? I'm sure you've thought of that already, not sure if they would be available in your area either, but maybe worth considering. Hospitals and OBs can be very conservative when it comes to HB.

Good luck.

Caribou

Not doing a home birth, saw this in recent discussions, but just wanted to say you're all amazing for doing a home birth! It's my dream but due to blood pressure issues if I want another child has to be in hospital.

Wishing you all a successful home birth! x

Fox-in-Sox

Hi leisamd - sorry this has happened to you! And with only 7 weeks to go - how disappointing! I agree with PP about meeting with a independent midwife if possible. Can't hurt to see what they say. If you have fast labours and are anxious about having an accidental free birth surely having an IM there with you as a support person at home, in the car or at hospital would be well worth it. Hope it all works out for you xx

TheFirstNoel

Thanks everyone! I was pretty emotional when i posted! I'vesince spoken to my awesome midwife who agreed it was bs & is confident about fighting it. Feeling much better now, should know for sure this week.

My last labour, i made it to the hospital with about 10mins to spare!

TheFirstNoel

Hi everyone, ghost town in here!

I had my homebirth last week! Our 3rd son, Enoch Rhys, was born on the 10/10 at home in the bathtub.

He wasn't a fast labour like my last one, he was posterior, born sunny-side up. Oh my goodness it was painful! The most painful labour I have ever experienced! My midwives and DH were awesome.

:)

• Like 1

AnnieAca

Hi all, thought I would pop in :)

Planning a HB with an IM in June 2014, or worst case scenario domino with the same IM at our local hospital. DS was HB with CMP but I transferred afterwards.

kadoodle

Given I'm pg with baby #5 and my last three labours have been fairly brisk, I'm keeping an open mind in regards to homebirth by virtue of not being able to get to the hospital in time. My GP and midwife have said that they'll come to wherever the baby decides to make it's appearance.

My biggest concern is a quick labour while DH is away for work and ending up with my 5yo in charge.

• Like 1

Bugster

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has a link to a list of things I need to consider or have on the house for a home birth.

I am not planning directly on one but my labours are very quick and I may not have time to make it to my chosen birth centre (25-40 mins away depending on traffic). My midwives through the birth centre are all equipped for home birth (85% of the births they do through the group practice are planned homebirths) so they are more then happy to come to me if I feel I don't have time to or don't want to leave the house.

I have done a bit of research but don't feel prepared but have been feeling like homebirth is increasingly likely this time. (I made it to the hospital with only 10 mins to spare last bub but that was in a different state and I lived closer then I do now)

TheFirstNoel

WOOT!! CONGRATULATIONS LEISAMD!! :excite::dance:

Do we get to read a birth story? :grin:

Thanks! He's pretty darn adorable! I will write one, when I get to it, I have 4 kids now :omg: I was thinking of posting it in the general birth story section & then linking it here...

Bugster

Thanks Glitter, my middie brings all the 'medical' stuff (clamps, oxygen etc) so I am just trying to make sure I have the extra stuff that may be needed.

I hate being in the water in labour so no birth pool etc but have kept all my old towels and yoga mats (thought they would be good to kneel on, gave birth on my knees last two times) will check out the links. I have googled but there is just so much stuff to wade through.

TheFirstNoel

oh yoga mats are a good idea. The tarp thingy we had down was a little rough on my knees!

I wasn't really fussed about being in water either, until I had a posterior labour! Getting in the bath was heaven!

The main things I needed to provide were a lined bin/box/bucket to chuck soiled things in as needed, and an ice cream container for the placenta. We honestly didn't really need many towels...

Fox-in-Sox

Congratulations leisamd on the birth of your little boy! Sorry its late - but dont check in here often. So glad to hear everything went well. Look forward to reading the birth story.