Baby Julez

Baby sick from daycare all the time

Baby Julez

Hi all,

My DS has been attending daycare 2 days a week since he was 9 months old (he's 1 next week).

I breastfed for 7 months and before he started daycare he had 1 mild cold hardly worth mentioning and 1 normal cold.

Since he started daycare he has had a pretty constant cold/cough (to be expected i think), gastro 3 times and now conjunctivitis (and the poor thing has an ear infection too I found out today :( ).

I know it is to be expected when they start daycare to get sick a lot, but is this more than normal??

My sister has asked me whether I thought it might be the daycare itself. I hadn't really thought about that as the people seem professional and I assume hygienic (although how can you really know?) but now it's put some doubt in my mind that maybe it is the daycare that's causing him to get sick so often.

One thing making me re-assess if it is the right daycare for my son is that they said if he gets the drops for his eyes for the conjunctivitis that he can come back...but I've read he's still contagious as long as he has pus/goop in his eyes. So I just think why do they allow that? Won't he infect other kids and then once he gets over it some other kid will be allowed there while they are still contagious and he'll just get it again?

One thing to note though: he sucks his fingers a lot (like thumb sucking but the pointer and middle) and I mean a lot and he crawls. So maybe crawling touching the ground then putting his fingers is the culprit, and not the daycare (but that still doesn't explain why they let kids back with conjunctivitis as long as they have the drops)?

Just wondering what other people's opinions/experiences are.

Thanks in advance! :D

Pushbike

My son has conjunctivitis too and his daycare said he cannot come back until his eyes have been clear for two days- no redness, no having to wipe them. He has been on drops for three days so far but his eyes are not totally better so he is still at home. Doctor said too that whilst he has symptoms it is highly contagious. Your daycare's policy is wrong and dangerous particularly in babies room because babies can get severe complications from conjunctivitis. I would report this daycare and find another.

Kimberley Mum

That's normal!! It will pass.

DM. 2012

I think it is pretty common for them to get sick a fair bit when they start day care. My bub is 15 months and started day care about a month ago. He caught hand, foot and mouth disease after a week and a week after he recovered from that he caught a bit of a cold. It is just kids in close proximity to each other. They are also contagious before they get symptoms which doesn't help much. I would however be concerned that your day care say that it is ok for him to come in when he still has congunctivitis.

The 8th Plum

I put my breastfed DS into childcare 1.5 days a week at the same age. For the first year it seemed as though he caught something every week. He went Tuesday/Wednesday, would come down sick on the Friday, recover, go back, catch something else. To me the illnesses sound about normal, but I would query the conjunctivitis policy. That doesn't sound right.

Le-a

Our daycare centers policy re. conjunctivitis is that the child can attend 24 hours after treatment has commenced.

We had the same experience with sickness as you describe. I also queried the hygiene standards of our daycare, but soon realized that sickness is all part of the childcare experience, unfortunately!

On the bright side, DS has been going to daycare for almost a year now, and the sicknesses have dropped DRAMATICALLY. He has a slight sniffle every month or so, rather than every week like you describe.

SnazzyFeral
My son has conjunctivitis too and his daycare said he cannot come back until his eyes have been clear for two days- no redness, no having to wipe them. He has been on drops for three days so far but his eyes are not totally better so he is still at home. Doctor said too that whilst he has symptoms it is highly contagious. Your daycare's policy is wrong and dangerous particularly in babies room because babies can get severe complications from conjunctivitis. I would report this daycare and find another.

The recommendation has only just changed I think last year before that it was only an exclusion for 24 hours after treatment

Pearson

Gastro 3 times in 3 months is ridiculous.

Sickness is normal for the first 12 months, but there is a level if you know what I mean.

My DS was in a centre in a high SE community, and spent more days away from CC than in it (all at an expensive rate of couse, pre good CCB &CCR). Thought it was normal until I found him in another child's cot in the middle of a chickenpox epidemic!

It can be a hygiene issue. This being a hygiene issue with the centre, or with other children. especially with your DS sucking his fingers. Trust me, some parents are feral, and send their kids when they are sick (they dose them up on panadol so that they look and act ok) (Flame me all you like, I am referring to a particular parent who sent their kids while they had HFM and then they took them to the local shops too! The whole centre had it nearly (3 kids across 3 rooms).

I would ask gently what they are doing re hygiene and stuff.

The other thing is, your son may just have a low immunity to certain things.

Bluenomi

Sounds pretty normal. The first year in care is usually pretty bad and some kids just seem to get more sick than others. DD got really sick her first winter and had a few cases of gastro (and one time where she didn't get it but somehow DH and I did) but has barely had a sick day in the 2 years since.

With conjunctivitis at our centre they can't come back until they wake in the morning with clear eyes.

TotesFeral

Sounds pretty normal to me.

DS has been in daycare since 4.5 months and as soon as winter hit he's basically been constantly sick. Currently has a cold plus an ear infection.

On the other hand DD has hardly been sick at all so it does get better!

Bess Marvin
Sounds pretty normal. The first year in care is usually pretty bad and some kids just seem to get more sick than others. DD got really sick her first winter and had a few cases of gastro (and one time where she didn't get it but somehow DH and I did) but has barely had a sick day in the 2 years since.

With conjunctivitis at our centre they can't come back until they wake in the morning with clear eyes.

Same for us. It's been a fantastic second year - hardly a gunky eye or snotty nose *touch wood in case I jinx myself now!!*

Hang in there OP. It will pass and it will get easier. It will feel like that first year of illness will NEVER end, but it does. As they get older, they will spend less time on the floor and less time with random objects in their mouths.

mandelbrot

DS caught his first cold at 6 months. Before then, he'd never been sick.

After that, I found that by the time DS got over a cold, he was ready for the next illness. I've seen the effort DS's daycare go to trying to prevent infection, but there is only so much you can do when kids are too young to be able to keep their fingers out of their faces.

I'm much more concerned about notification for illnesses - do they tell you promptly if something's going around?

Baby Julez

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!

That is one thing actually Mandala, they never really say if there are things going around. I have been meaning to ask if anyone else at the daycare has conjunctivitis which surely they do as he hasn't been in contact with anyone else with conjunctivitis.

And I think I will call or email about being allowed back with conjunctivitis because they do say that their rules are in accordance with the 'staying healthy in childcare' guidelines which I have confirmed says they shouldn't return to daycare till there is no discharge from the eye so maybe they just need it pointed out that their current rule is outside of those guidelines. If they say that's the policy they are sticking to then I will start looking for another daycare.

Yeah that's what it feels like that he just gets over one thing and then it's the next! Took him to the docs today and he also has an ear infection :(

Well i think I'll just have a chat to the daycare and see what happens but at least there are plenty of you out there who have had the same thing happen it's just hard when you return to work part time then have to take days off for carers leave all the time!

Thanks again :)

a letter to Elise.

DS has been the same since he started preschool four months go. He goes on Thursday and Friday. By Sunday afternoon most weeks he is sick with something new. We all catch it as well. We've had more colds then I can count, bronchitis, the flu, parvo virus, gastro... It's exhausting. I'm supposed to be working from home on the days he goes, but most of the time, DD and I are too sick.

Pop-to-the-shops

We've had the same issue.

Since ds started A few months ago he's had heaps of stuff, lots of antibiotics, and many days off.

Everyone says hang in there, but I don't remember it being this bad with my first two kids. We have decided to pull him out and I've resigned, as he has missed more days than attended. And I'm not making any money as I don't get any sick leave, I'm casual.

I did wonder about the centres hygiene and policies as I don't think the put the note about hand foot and mouth up until they had a few cases!

mandelbrot

Sometimes conjunctivitis is just the cold virus, where they've rubbed their eyes with snotty hands/fingers.

One thing that DH and I have agreed is that where possible, he will take the sick days with DS. DH has more sick leave, and him taking one day off with DS is a smaller proportion of his work week than it is for me (and less of a perception of the 'mummy track'). Of course, there are often meetings that can't be moved, but we do try hard to share the load.

spr_maiden

HI

I'm another who'd be questioning the illness policy if they let children attend with such a highly contagious (albeit run of the mill for older children) illness.

We've actually just decided today to take our child out of his current centre with their lack of communication re illnesses in the centre being the deciding factor in list of grievances, some minor, that add up to standards not being met. DS came down with conjunctivitis last week and long story short: the director has not informed other parents or carers re DS' illness nor had they informed other parents' about the couple of cases in another room plus no disinfecting of toys has occurred in either room nor the communal area which I would think would be pretty standard precaution in the instance of a highly contagious illness...

so yes, a child new to daycare I would expect an increase in illness for quite a few months but I would also expect the centre to be doing their part to attempt to minimise the spread of illness where possible.

edit: typo

Edited by Studybug

Ally'smum

It feels like we get something new each week as well. But I also feel that I am fine with DD catching certain things (like colds) but I wouldn't be happy about conjunctivitis or gastro.

The kids are in close proximity, when they sneeze it is in to someones face, they will pick up someone else's discarded cup or eat each others food, I am not sure there is a way around it.

My DD is also a kisser and a hugger, I am trying to convince her to just wave to everyone when we say goodbye...

Chillax

I put DS1 in daycare one day a week when he was 18 months old and had a very similar experience. We had gastro (and I mean all of us) once a month for the first four months. In between that he had colds, ear infections and hand foot and mouth. It was just revolting and utterly exhausting.

I was lucky enough to have the option to pull him out altogether and work from home that day.

He has rarely been sick since and since starting kindy (pre-prep) this year, has not been sick at all.

I think (as a general rule) the younger your child is, the sicker they'll get at daycare, simply because they haven't built up the natural immunity yet. Starting a 3 year old would be very different to starting a 1 year old. Obviously that is not always feasible!!!

Good luck OP, it's a stressful time, hang in there!!!

Maggueful

Having Gastro that much doesn't seem normal. Everything else is pritty standard.

I have gotten so used to conjunctivitis over the years my kids have gone to child care, that I usually keep an unopened thing of the drops medication in my fridge so that I can treat it as soon as I see it. I catch it very easily so I usually notice it fairly early.

My DS1 was sick so much at child care that by the time he was three his tonsils were so large and had to be removed. He never had gastro though.

DS2 is 20 months old and has only had Gastro once since starting child care this year. He has a lot of ear infections and throat infections. I can expect him to be home sick at least one or two days every two to three weeks.

I also found that DS1 caught parasites very regularly when he was going to one particular child care. After we moved, that suddenly stopped being a problem. If you think your Centre as bad hygiene, it might be good to keep vigilant about that as well.

Edited by Maggueful

lozoodle

Wow gastro that often is really a lot!

We had a shocker year last winter, but it was mostly just colds. It was winter, colds arent excluded, what can you do? This year DD2 isnt going as I am on mat leave and I wanted to give her a break as she is a febrile convulsion kid so I wanted her to get a bit older before she goes back, but DD1 still attends twice a week and we havent had an illness this year yet.

Massive improvement since last year. My last cold that I caught from the girls picking stuff up at daycare and bringing it home was in about August last year.

It is pretty normal for the first year to be bad, but that still does seem like a lot of gastro. That said, I found my kid in the babies room got a lot more bugs than my older child. I guess its harder for them to contain stuff in the babies room given how much babies put things in their mouths, even with constant cleaning, you cant keep on top of it 100% or watch every single thing that they do.

Lifesgood

Gastro three times is more than a bit unlucky, the rest sounds normal. They usually get conjunctivitis from themselves (when they have a cold and the virus infects their tear ducts usually when they rub their snotty noses). Gastro is going around a lot, and it's pretty impossible to stop babies and toddlers from passing it on to each other.

My DS is currently on his 4th cold virus in a row - one straight after the other. I am also getting each of his colds, so we have both been sick for 5 weeks now. I'm completely over it. I think gastro would probably break me.

Baby Julez

Well I emailed the daycare with my concerns and the director got back to me saying I was right and the policy had changed without them being made aware of it and they are now following the policy that the child is excluded until they have no discharge from the eyes.

It's a bit of a cop out saying they weren't informed that the guidelines had changed because they should be on top of it but at least they are changing the policy to the correct one so i'm happy with that...I just can't take it if he gets any more gastro or anything other than a cold. if he gets that bloody hand foot and mouth I think I'd just cry! :cry:

But fingers crossed it gets better from here! I think if he would start walking soon that would really help matters :)

knottygirl

DS4 went to daycare for the first time when he was 3. He hardly ever gets sick, even when the rest of the family is sick. I certainly didnt notice a big leap in illness when he started.

DS2 is the most sickly of my 2, and so im hesitant to send him to daycare just yet. he will start a couple days a week next year, once hes toilet trained.

I personally cant stomach sending a crawler to daycare. My niece got some kind of gangrene under her fingernails from daycare and that really put me off. I know for some people they have no option though. We are lucky we have other care options. I know lots of SAHMs that put their kids in daycare so they can have a break, but i personally wouldnt do it.

rld_dg

My daughter was sick all the time for the first year of daycare. But ditto w. others re gastro -- that seems a lot.

She's now two so the carers are doing lots w. behavior management i.e., reinforcing habits such as cover your mouths, washing hands... so maybe age is a factor here too?

Agree w. mandala on the junky eye though.

BTW I sent mon to day care at seven months too.

Edited by rld_dg