liveworkplay
liveworkplay you are in WA aren't you?

No Tasmania :)

Our daycare will take them up until the first day of school. Our our of hours school care will take them from 4-12. they do have to be enrolled in school though. So even though DD3 will be in Kinder, she can still go over the summer holidays If I really wanted her to.

karkat

DD1 had her first orientation morning at the end of last term which went really well (despite having ear infections at the time!). She actually talked to both of the teachers and followed their instructions perfectly, although I think peer pressure might've played a part as her kindy friends (who all have older siblings at the school) called her over to sit with them, not sure she would've been so confident if they hadn't been there.

DD has another orientation morning next Friday where she spends the morning with the current prep kids which she's really looking forward to and we'll probably look at uniforms then.

DD's kindy only opens during the school term so nothing over the holidays. But the daycare centre DD2 goes to keeps open over the holidays and the kindy kids there can go up until the day they start school.

Baroness Bubbles

DD had her first transition day today, and loved it. I raided the second hand cupboard and got 2 great quality dresses at a saving of $66! ($2 from the cupboard or $35 new). She is so hard on clothes that I need to see how long they last lol.

She will stay at LDC until she starts school, as long as the new owners (took over last week, seriously not impressed so far) pull up their socks. If not, then vacation care it is

Tall Poppy

DD school has been a bit lax with introductions as well, I find it off putting. I introduce myself & then DD & expect teacher to say & I'm Mr. Or miss whoever but, they don't.

DD first orientation session is next Tuesday. It should be interesting to see how she goes. I'm sure she will separate ok as she is never fussed by that at all.

wallywonda

My baby starts next year and boy is he excited. He has been been doing a program called junior prep since last term, every Tuesday morning. I think it is a fantastic idea, as he knows tge teachers, where everything is etc. He loves school and now hates kindergarten lol. I will be crying first day of term 1. Actually probably the whole of term one.

Ianthe

Orientation tomorrow. I was in the supermarket today and saw a lunch box and drink bottle and was sad. I need to deal with this better.

ignite

Hey everyone! My baby (DD) is starting prep next year.

:( I've been in total denial & have only just booked her enrollment interview with the principal, scheduled for the 31st. She will have orientation on Nov 13th.

mrsznasty, I'm in QLD & DD is doing the gov approved kindy program through her day care centre which aligns with school terms so she'd have to go into vacation care. As we'll be on holidays for half of the holidays & hopefully

moving, plus I'm on mat leave, I've decided not to send her.

Ianthe

This is my FIFTH child going to school. I have had kids in this particular school since 2005. I should not be so anxious. It's a known quantity. And he will have an older brother and sister there with him.

I think it is just that I have had babies home for 17 years and this is the end of an era. And his sister is 4 years older so it ha been just him and me for a long time during the school day.

mrsznasty-my asthma isn't great with the smoke either. Take care.

CrankyM

Mrznasty – I hope you are safe from the fires. I missed the open day (night) for T’s school. It was changed because of the strike action in WA not that long ago and the one they changed it too didn’t work well for me because I needed to be working on finishing an assignment. I’m not sure if they have a transition day(s) here as I think they just assume that most kids have attended the school 4 year kindy and so know where the classrooms etc are. (Oh and you might find the toilet is in the classroom, at least it is in most of the classrooms at T’s school). The FYOS teachers are pretty good when it comes to watching out for the kiddies and making sure they know where everything is.

Tall poppy and Ianthe - good luck for today!

I need to write a list of questions to ask the school. Mainly about if we do have transition days when are they and when do we find out which classroom/teacher T has been assigned. Then I have to start trying to track down more black shorts for his uniform (not an easy thing where I live. They are all too big. This kid takes size 6 uniform shirts and size 3 shorts :S ). I am stressed about him starting full-time school and I’m not if that makes sense. I love that WA has their 4 yr kindy integrated into the school so it isn’t too hard on the kids starting but I worry that T isn’t going to cope so well with a full 5 days program. And how long it will take his new teacher to get used to how he speaks (he has a moderate/severe speech delay – childhood apraxia of speech and it is really hard for him to get his point across at times and words don’t always sound the same when he says them as he has lots of issues getting sounds corrects and in the right order. It is better, at 3 he had 3 words and now had your average 3 yr olds vocab, though a lot of it is unintelligible. Thankfully our speechie makes sure she contacts his teachers and sends them info and activities that will help him articulate what he wants or needs to say. And like I said he had made a massive amount of progress.) I also worry that his speech issues will impact his learning to read, it is a bit hard for a teacher to assess if he is reading properly when he can’t form the words :( Oh and add in that dyslexia runs REALLY strongly in my family (as in both myself, my sister and both of my brothers have it to a degree. It didn’t effect me so much (though I struggle more at uni now) but both my sister and brothers really struggled at school. Just another things to stress about. But I make sure that T is excited about it and that everything I say about starting school is positive.

liveworkplay
I just agree with you Ianthe. This is too hard. I'm such a sook and stress head. What if he doesn't know where the toilet is???!!

The compassionate part of me wants to say that everything will be fine and hugs and all but the little wicked part laughed at this....sorry.

I am so ready for my youngest to start school, and so is she. I can't wait and don't really understand the feelings of a lot of my friends who have their youngest starting. they are all sad and not wanting it to happen. I see it as a new chapter, a new beginning almost!....three kids at school (and all in the same place for 2 whole years!!)

• Like 1

newphase

Finally decided on a school for DS and he is enrolled and has been attending (only last 2 weeks mind u, but programme been going since start term 3 darn it) a pre-prep reading class 45mins each Tuesday in a Prep room. Orientation starts Tuesday 12th Nov 9am till 10.15 for 4 Tuesdays and then another day in Dec for I cant remember what (letter at home) , might be the class and teacher they will have next yr.

Also a parent info session in Nov, date escapes me 13th Nov sounds familiar though.

Glad I have it all sorted finally, am happy I changed him despite a 25-30 min drive each way, but happy with the school so much more! Now to sort out a yr 7 boy for next yr 100%! 2 weeks to go there!

Edited by newphase

gabbigirl

I have a question for those who work ...I work two days a week and those two days DD will need to do into before and after school care. Should I start the after/before care the first week of school so that's her normal, from day dot? Or should I take the first week off work and just have her start the care after the first week? Any advice would be appreciated.

CrankyM

T will be doing after school care from the first week at school, even though I will still be on annual leave. DH will pick him up. It really depends on your child, if the routine helps them settle then that is all well. T already knows the people he will be doing after school care with (it is at our daycare) and is already picked up by them on a wednesday from Kindy, so it will help settle him.

I don't know why but I am questioning if I should leave T in his current school. This choosing schools thing sucks. It's not that they seem like a bad school but they don't seem like they are great either. But T is happy there with his 4 year kindy class, and has made a friend (he doesn't make friends easily). I think this is all coming about because when I was speaking with his 4 year kindy teacher she was talking about all these new regulations and changes that are being implemented by the new principal and it honestly seems very disorganised. They haven't even had a meeting yet about assigning kids to the pre-primary classes (this is FYOS in WA). Apparently we won't find out until the day before school starts! I am so very very unimpressed. I need to prepare T if he doesn't have familiar class mates because he won't take it well if he doesn't have something familiar. This time last year we already knew which 4 year kindy class they were in, who their teachers were and some of the familiar faces (T goes to daycare with a couple).

• Like 1

CallMeFeral

Oooh only just discovered this forum!

A question for you all, if your LO is attending preschool/day care this year, are they continuing in January before school starts?

We'll be using vacation care. Was going to stick with daycare but DD has been SO psyched about school that I think she'd prefer something connected to that - so I asked her and she chose vacation care. If I wasn't working I'd just keep her home though - even as it is I'll try and make use of any family help I can get - I think vacation care might be a bit daunting with all the 'big kids' there too.

I have a question for those who work ...I work two days a week and those two days DD will need to do into before and after school care. Should I start the after/before care the first week of school so that's her normal, from day dot? Or should I take the first week off work and just have her start the care after the first week? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd be giving her the first week off if it were me. Just because since it's only 2 days a week, it's not exactly going to become part of her 'routine' day anyway, so that would give her some settling in time for a week.

But really I think it's much of a muchness, so whatever suits.

• Like 1

newphase

Re before/after school care, I would wait a week if you can before they started, but that is me and not everyone can do this with work etc. Or as mayahlb it may be beneficial to start the care at the start perhaps if adjusting is likely to big a significant issue for the child, getting such a child into their rotinue early on may be a good thing in this instance too.

Though for me, and my 3, School is a big enough transition in itself IMHO. Exception may be if older siblings were attending also, but even then, I'd go slow the 1st week at school. Make it a more gentle and significant transition.

mayahlb Maybe start the year at the school and see how it all pans out if your DS has trouble with change or making friends. If it doesn't meet with your approval then move him as there is plenty of time so early on to be able to move and more smoothly (he could transition to neschool later in the year if need be to make it easier).

And I have one in high school, one starting HS in 2014HS and one starting primary in VIC also, and at the various schools the older two have been at (4 all up between the two older ones) none of them have known what class they will be in until the next year when the rock up at school, or they found out 2 days before school started (1-2 hr drop time frame. walk in with your kid, read posted class list and wander to appropriate room and say hello) at their 1st school to find their classroom, teacher and get their book pack.

That said I think all my kids will know their classes for next year before the year starts back as all are at new schools, well except for eldest and their is only one grade at her yr level so all the same kids at her school. does make it easier I admit.

Edited by newphase

Charmzy

Hi everyone, I have a 2014 FYOS too, Natasha is so excited about starting, this morning she was asking when can we go shopping for her school bag and dress and if she will get special hair ties like her sisters have for school, its all very exciting (and a bit nerve wracking)

It feels like only yesterday she was just a baby and now shes off to school!!! How are you all feeling about them going??

Are all schools doing the prep testing the year before they start now? This is the first year our school has done it, usually they just have testing in the first few weeks but now they have 2 lots apparently.

We missed a teddy bear picnic this week and I also missed our prep info night but I've done it a few times now so not too worried! She has one or two orientation sessions to go still which I havent told her about or she probably won't sleep for the next month she will be too excited lol :)

Tall Poppy

We've had all our orientation sessions now & there's 1 more testing day in the last week of January & her official start day is February 1.

DD is getting very exited. We've got her school & library bags & her uniform & have paid for her text books.

We still need shoes & sneakers as well as lunch containers & cooler bag thingy that they want the kids to have & an art apron & rain coat.

BeAwesome

I picked up the rest of my DDs uniforms today, and have told her after Christmas we can go to Smiggle and pick a lunchbox and library bag.

aluminium

Last orientation today. Kidlet looked so so tired afterwards. She said it was really, really good but was just weary through the afternoon and tea and went to bed fuss-free. I'm thinking Term1 is going to be difficult due to exhaustion (both her and I - sounds hard getting her to school every day on time!).

newphase

DS had his 1st orientation day today. Seems we are behind everyone else, can't believe you have a booklist already Tall Popy let alone having bought them. No idea when we get ours.

3 more mornings to go over next 3 weeks (Thursdays 9.15-10.45) then a parent sausage sizzle and info evening in early DEC- I guess we will get booklist/fee breakdown then. They are leaving it short I think if they wait until Dec.

Slinky Malinki My older two are over smuggle days now so will avoid the Smiggle thing until perhaps he hears about it. My now 14yo was obsessed with Smiggle.

Are all schools doing the prep testing the year before they start now?

No idea TBH! :unsure:

Term1 is going to be difficult due to exhaustion
I agree, especially as DS is naughty re going to sleep. Hopefully school will sort out his sleep patterns as he will be tired and be out like a light hopefully.

Tall Poppy

DS had his 1st orientation day today. Seems we are behind everyone else, can't believe you have a booklist already Tall Popy let alone having bought them. No idea when we get ours.

3 more mornings to go over next 3 weeks (Thursdays 9.15-10.45) then a parent sausage sizzle and info evening in early DEC- I guess we will get booklist/fee breakdown then. They are leaving it short I think if they wait until Dec.

I agree, especially as DS is naughty re going to sleep. Hopefully school will sort out his sleep patterns as he will be tired and be out like a light hopefully.

They wanted it paid ASAP so they can order as they start work in them day 1. I'm a. Bit worried by how full on it all seems.

I'm also concerned DD will be very tired when she starts. Feb is also very hot so she doesn't sleep well at night if it's really hot.

CrankyM

I have our booklist/pack stuck on my fridge. I proabbly won't pick it up until Janurary (it doesn't actually have any textbooks on it that I saw)

Testing: um I have no idea. At a guess it depends on what state and what school. I am assuming that any testing/assessment will be done on Tristan in his 4 year kindy class (which is part of the school, and actually they share the play ground with the FYOS kids). I need to organise some more shorts for him (do you ahve any idea how hard it is to find nice plain black shorts in a small town???? I think I will just ring my bestie in Brissy and ask her to pop into big w and pick up some in size 4. The ones she got last year are nice and have lasted well, unlike his school shirts)

exhaustion: I am not too worried. I know that there are days where he falls asleep in the car and goes straight to bed so I just let him sleep. I also enforce naps on the weekend if he is tired during the week. But he has also always been a good sleeper unlike his brother.

tall poppy: maybe an extra fan in her room in febrary might help? My kids sleep in the airconditioning until march/april normally but I do live in the tropics (their classrooms are also all ari-conditioned and they have fridges for their lunches, so no need for freezer bags)

Tall Poppy

tall poppy: maybe an extra fan in her room in febrary might help? My kids sleep in the airconditioning until march/april normally but I do live in the tropics (their classrooms are also all ari-conditioned and they have fridges for their lunches, so no need for freezer bags)

That might be an idea, there is a ceiling fan but, I always feel like it does nothing. I might try another one as well to create a cross flow. Our upstairs is air-con but, it doesn't reach her room very well, I'd love to put another one in that room but not sure I can justify the cost. The school isn't air-conditioned at all which I think is crazy given how hot it can get in Western Sydney.

CrankyM

A cross draft defiantly make a difference. The first place I lived in here didn't have air con and I literally had 2 pedastal fans and a celining fan going to stay cool. I think schools get different funding in this area because we are above the 26th parelall. It's also why school starts at 8 and finishes at 2. So air-con is pretty much seen as a norm. The P & C raised money to have a fridge in every room, so that kids could keep their lunches cold. Even an ice pack doesn't make a large amount of difference when it's been sitting in a bag expose to heat ranging from 35-44 degrees

• Like 1

lynneyours

DD1 is so excited about starting Prep next year!

I've chosen an out-of-zone school and we've had the parent info night and 2 reading sessions at the school with 1 to go and 3 transition sessions to go.

Tomorrow/today/in the morning at daycare they are eating out of lunchboxes to practice - which she is also super excited about - its really cute.

Our testing sessions are next year - the first few weeks are only 4 days a week, with the 5th day being testing.

I've paid for the bookpack - it gets distributed first day of class.

YAY.