samandimmysmum

Non Sleepover Party

samandimmysmum

Hi Everyone,

My daughter is turning 6 in July (in a month's time) and as mentioned in a previous post I was asking for ideas as to what I could do for her. I gave her three options: disco, non sleepover and roller skating. She went with the idea of non sleep over party.

She will be 6, the kids(probably only girls) from her class will be 5 years, there will also be her sister who is 3 attending. Numbers haven't been decided as yet

My initial thoughts are having it from 5pm to 9pm

So I have been googling invitations and found a couple I like which include pillow or face mask. Other suggestion of designs welcome and same with wording.

On the night I were thinking:

Arrive at 5pm and set kids up where they want to put sleeping bags/pillows/teddies

- Craft Activity - possibly making bracelets or designing pillowcases - other ideas welcome

- put movie on (girly movie)

- whilst watching movie - give pizza and drinks

- When finished eating I paint fingers and toes nails and give a quick facial (ie wipe face with wet cloth and put on a lavender moisturizer)

- Give popcorn and let kids finish watching movie

- end of night give cake

Not sure what the goodie bags should include. As they will be taking their craft activity home, etc I was thinking lollies or something.

Other ideas that had gone through my mind include:

Droping the movie and popcorn and doing games/dancing instead

I want the night to be fun and memorable for all.

What would you do if you were in my situation???

Thanks

KookyKids

I probably wouldnt go so late my dd wouldnt be able to last and is usually in bed at 8, so I would probably adjust the time say 4-8

Tender Heart

I'm not sure I'd bother asking people to bring sleeping bags, etc if they're not actually going to stay the night.

Why not call it a girls night in or something similar? You can still do everything you've come up with under that theme.

samandimmysmum

Thank you for your opinions/ideas. The time slot will probably be shorted. I was also thinking calling it Pyjama Party or something.

Keep ideas coming....

FeralSis

I personally think 4 hours is too long for a 5/6 year old party.

As for doing craft activity and a movie, 3 hours would be plenty as most kids movies only go for 90 minutes.

Also I would serve pizza separately before the movie and just do popcorn during movie.

Time it so that movie finishes approx. 15 mins. before pickup and do cake then.

So my order would go:

guests arrive

do craft

play a game or 2 like pass the parcel and musical statues

serve pizza

watch movie

popcorn during movie

birthday cake

party finishes and guests leave

Freddie'sMum

As the PPs have mentioned - 4 hours is far too long for a party for 5/6 year olds.

I have an 8 year old and 5-and-a-half year old - they are both in bed by 7:30pm - so I wouldn't let them go to a 4 hour party that finishes at 9pm.

I would go for an earlier time slot - eg between 3pm and 5pm. It if not going to be a sleepover, they won't need to bring their sleeping bags etc.

Honestly - you don't need to control everything they do - DVDs / plenty of food / music / bubbles / maybe some art and craft or drawing / colouring / somewhere quiet in case little party guests get overwhelmed (which they often do) and just let them have fun.

Good luck :)

baddmammajamma

I would totally bag musical statues and pass the parcel -- those are day time party games and totally expected. The whole idea of a "Sleep Under" is to make it feel like a night time party, something different. I'd be inclined to forego the craft & do something sillier and fun, like dancing with a strobe light & balloons all over the floor -- or a scavenger hunt with torches in the backyard.

Let them make a fort out of blankets and chairs and watch a fun show or short movie.

If you did go from something crafty, how about having them design their own satin sleep masks (buy rhinestones, feathers, etc.) :)

As others have said, 4 hours is way too long for kids that age. I'd be aiming for 5pm - 7pm at the latest. You need some darkness, though, to stick with the theme.

Hope your daughter has a lovely birthday.

PS: I don't think you need to go overboard with the party bags, but if you are trying to be original, how about cute very inexpensive mugs + hot cocoa mix? Something that says "Night time, cuddle up."

Edited by baddmammajamma

laridae

What day of the week is it? If its a friday or saturday I wouldn't have a problem with the later time up, but getting there on a friday at 5pm (or earlier) would be difficult for working parents.

Finishing at about 7:30 pm would probably be better though.

I wouldn't ask them to bring sleeping bags - just take all the doonas of your beds and get out any sleeping bags & pillows you have already and use that.

CallMeFeral

WHAT is a non sleepover? Isn't that just any party that isn't a sleepover?

DEVOCEAN

I think making it from say 4 until 7 and making it a Pyjama Party.

Pizza or similar for dinner with a movie and popcorn to munch on.

The one thing I would check with parents though, is about the Lavender Moisturiser(if you use it). Only because DD9 breaks out in an itchy rash when she uses anything with lavender in it.

Edited by ScrumptiousHobbit

samandimmysmum

Thanks again for the responses.

A non sleepover party is a party that kids come to in their pj's, slippers, and also bring their pillows and sleeping bags/doonas. They go home to their own beds after the party.

I was thinking of having the party on a saturday night.

I had considering the wording something like this: (may need to be changed slightly)

Come on over to Celebrate

Samantha is Turning 6!

Wear your Jammie's, Slippers too,

We'll do all the things girls like to do!

Eat Pizza, Popcorn, Ice Cream, Cake,

Paint Nails, Play Games, and Stay up late,

And when It's time to go to bed,

We'll all go home to sleep instead!

Other suggestions very welcome.

Mamabear2010

I like BMJ's suggestion of the scavenger hunt.

In regards to the 'facials', be careful what products you use. If any of the kids have sensitive skin, like mine, they could react to it.

rob6712col

We have had these last year amongst our friends and we call them "semi-sleepovers". We run it a little differently. All the kids arrive at 5pm in normal clothes and bring their pj's and toothbrushes and a pillow. When they arrive we usually just play wii dance or singstar or do some craft for a little while, you could perhaps paint nails etc if you like. Then the kids get to "make" pizzas for dinner (just add the toppings). While they are cooking the kids just have fun playing. They eat dinner and then we usually have decorate your icecream for dessert (have lots and lots of different toppings on the table). Instead of dessert you could do birthday cake. After dinner they get to go to the bedroom and change into their pj's. This alone can take a LONG time and there are lots of giggles and laughing. After about 45 minutes you might like to knock on the door! They brush teeth and then we cover the loungeroom floor in blankets, doonas, sleeping bags and pillows for them all the get comfy and watch a movie. Some will actually fall asleep. Parents come and collect between 8-8.30pm and they can go home and straight to bed.

With the party bags I would only put a small amount of lollies, if any, and perhaps put some nail polish or fingernail decorations (stickers) etc. Put some popcorn in the bag and just some fancy pens and paper etc.

Have fun

baddmammajamma

I like your little poem! Very cute! I've just removed a few typos (e.g. plurals like jammies don't require an apostrophe)

(A non-sleep over emphasizes what it ISN'T, whereas a Sleep Under emphasizes what is IS. IMHO, it's catchier. ;)

Come to a SLEEP UNDER!

Samantha is turning 6!

Wear your jammies and slippers, too,

We'll do all the things girls love to do!

Eat pizza, popcorn, ice cream, cake,

Paint nails, play games, and stay up late...

And when it's time to go to bed,

We'll all go home to sleep instead!

samandimmysmum

Hi Everyone,

Plans have changed in that my daughter has invited both boys and girls. Majority age is 5 and a couple of 3 year olds (one being her sister). There will be approx 10 kids. Time I am thinking is 5.00pm to 7.30pm. Not sure if it will be a friday or saturday night as it is on school holidays.

So my question now is what sort of things could we do during this time.

I look forward to hearing everyone suggestions

Thanks in advance

rob6712col

Make your own pizzas, decorate your own cupcake before dinner time, then have a dance and perhaps pass the parcel type game. Dinner and decorate your own icecream sundae. Then have a mini disco. Put on some music and let them dance and have fun. Throw in a few dancing games during that time like statues, limbo. Teach them the macarena. by then it is time to go home! I probably wouldnt do the whole PJ thing now with unisex and such young children, I don't think it is necessary. Convert it to a dinner and disco party!

sophiasmum

For my DDs 7th birthday we had a similar party. Arrived at 5pm (3 friends), parents stayed for a quick chat or cuppa, girls went straight to DDs room, parents left by 5.30pm, chips to nibble on whilst girls used fabric paint on pillowcases, ordered pizza, ate around 6pm, cake followed at 6.30pm, put some music on to dance off the sugar rush, lay down with doonas & pillows for movie, DH took them home around 9pm.

But I think this is a little old for 5 year olds.

Julie3Girls

I'd probably skip the pjs, simply make it an night time party, which will be a novelty in itself at this age.

At this time of year, I'd probably go 4:30/5-7:30pm.

For that age group, I'd probably still a couple of the normal party games, like the pass the parcel. Or a scavenger hunt in the back yard.

Pizza for dinner (so easy)

Followed by cake. I'd do it now, rather than at the end, because by the end, you might be getting some tired ratty kids, and this way you aren't pumping cake into them right before they head home to bed.

Then lots of music, balloons, streamers etc and let them play. You can do musical statues etc if they seem like they need some organisation.

Dig out the coloured christmas lights and hang them around the room.

But Glow sticks ... lots of glow sticks. You could even use them in the scavenger hunt earlier.