Sign in to follow this  
jellybean23

Baby Names... Is it wrong?

jellybean23

So my hubby and i have *Finally* agreed on boys name. (We don't know what we are having just yet but i am organised!). Excited, i told my mum my choices. She paused, and after a long awkward silence she finally replies with "But my best friends grandson has that name..." I understand that there are going to be a million people with the same name but being a close family friend of ours, is it wrong to still use that name?

EsmeLennox

No. Of course not.

Zanbam

Nope

Caribou

No. It's not. Use the name. And do t tell anyone else the name. You'll just encounter the same thing from others.

noi'mnot

It's fine, you can still use the name.

And, unless you're willing to be told the endless "I know somebody with that name, they're totes weird", "I had a cat/dog/goldfish/guineapig called that", "The school bully when I was a kid was called that", etc, then stop telling people your chosen names.

The 8th Plum

No, not wrong. It's hard enough to pick a name without having to consult with grandparents, siblings etc to see if they have any friends who have a child with that name.

Just tell your mum she'll have no problems remembering her friend's grandson's name.

Bluenomi

Why would there be a problem with you give your child the same name as some child who is pretty much a random stranger. I wouldn't have a clue what my mother's best friend's grandson was called and it certainly wouldn't factor into my naming decisions

Ireckon

I had a chuckle, sorry. Her best friends grandson.......who you will obviously be bumping into ALL the time :rolleyes:

I would use it without hesitation.

If my brother ever has a son, he is going to use the same name as my second DS, and neither of us mind.

Superman+4sisters

I had a chuckle too :) You know, it's a very important thing not to duplicate a grandparent's best friend's grandson's name... (tongue very firmly in cheek here :p )

Everyone will have opinions on your chosen name. The only opinions that really matter are yours and your partner's. And as is often said on these forums, the best policy is to keep the name quiet until baby arrives, and introduce the name with the baby. All of a sudden the baby owns the name, and all the opinions dry up (or are at least kept mostly quiet).

Enjoy choosing your baby's names :heart:

PrincessPeach

Nope.

I'm just worried when we announce a name that either my mum or MIL is going to say - oh no I taught a little horror with that name!

With both being teachers the odds are quite high.

EssentialBludger
I had a chuckle, sorry. Her best friends grandson.......who you will obviously be bumping into ALL the time :rolleyes:

I would use it without hesitation.

If my brother ever has a son, he is going to use the same name as my second DS, and neither of us mind.

That's weird IMO. So your parents will have two grandchildren with the same name?

OP, I would still use the name.

Ireckon
That's weird IMO. So your parents will have two grandchildren with the same name?

OP, I would still use the name.

Perhaps. It was my fathers name, and my brothers name, both have passed , my brother passed away 30 years ago, so I was always going to use the name. It has a lot of sentiment for my surviving brother and I, as it was his twin that passed, ( who was named after our dad). it is a pact we have had since we were kids. so There will be 2 grandchildren with the same first name, but different middle and surnames.

We only have 2 nans left . And my brother having another child is not looking very likely. So far :) . No different to other families who name all male children John , or Mohammad . Plus, they will be a minimum of 6 years apart, and live 500 km away from each other.. And we have no issue with it.

jellybean23

Yeah i thought her response was a little silly as well, Thanks for all of the positive encouragement! she is the only one i have told and the only one i plan on telling :) I just thought she would be a little more supportive - being its her first grandchild and all!

Feral Grey Mare
Yeah i thought her response was a little silly as well, Thanks for all of the positive encouragement! she is the only one i have told and the only one i plan on telling :) I just thought she would be a little more supportive - being its her first grandchild and all!

This is when they are at their worst.

Oriental lily

I love the name Elenore but DH vetoed it because its his best friends sisters name. I have only seen thus woman half a dozen times in nearly 15 years!

But dh said it would be 'weird'

So annoying .

Unfortunately op I have to consider dhs feelings, him being the father and all, but I would really not get hung up on what your mum feesls. You can not please everyone and everyone knows ' someone' with the same name!

Edited by Oriental lily

Missy Shelby

Use it OP and use it with no guilt!!

Gudrun
Use it OP and use it with no guilt!!

This and avoid discussing names with others, especially mothers.

Sign in to follow this