Sign in to follow this  
LazynCrazy

Lump on Back Head Worried

LazynCrazy

Hi Everyone

Every week on Sunday I check my boys for nits. Two weeks ago I notice a lump on 7 yr old's head the size on a 10 cent coin. I asked him if it hurt and he said no. I wouldn't of notice it unless I run my fingers over it. I thought Id keep a eye on it. Its now the size of half a golf ball. Its around the back on the right. I did try ring doctors but are all unavailable and I feel like a idiot ringing nurse on call. Of course I am thinking the worse and what bad mum I am for not getting it checked straight away, but I thought he may hit himself there and it would went down. He is well, not in pain, doesnt have headache and didnt even know he had it.

Any ideas? To calm my mind until tomorrow when I can get a doctors appointment. My hubby said its not Emergency Department warranted. ( I suffer from OCD and Anxiety)

Bella

tenar

Ring nurse on call!

They are used to talking to people who aren't sure if they should ring. There is no reason to feel silly for doing so - that's part of why they are there.

Green Door

My DS had somethibg like this, it is towards the base of the head? It could be a lymph node? DS had a swollow node and itwas normal .I would get it looked at but try not to worry

Unatheowl
My DS had somethibg like this, it is towards the base of the head? It could be a lymph node? DS had a swollow node and itwas normal .I would get it looked at but try not to worry

Actually, this was the first thing I thought of too when I read your post OP. My DS had it too once and it was also nothing. They are painless and swell very quickly. This is a LN chain at the back of the head behind the ears/neck. Def get it checked though.

LazynCrazy

Hi yes at back on the base, I know its bone around that area, but it is a lump. I hope its all it is.

Kay1

My son gets swollen lymph glands on his head, towards the base of his skull sometimes. It doesn't seem to worry him at all and they do tend to stick around for a couple of weeks, usually he's fighting a virus or something. Once he got one in his neck and he looked like he had swallowed a cricket ball and it was stuck on the side of his neck! It looked so bad! That one got us to the ER but it was all good, just a swollen lymph gland and it went down over the next couple of days.

Don't stress. Its likely perfectly normal. Good idea get it checked out just in case though.

LazynCrazy

Not sure how add photo

LazynCrazy

skull_zpsd7b86d0f.jpg

Hope this works its skull and area its located

Edited by billybella

Girlo

I've had two lumps cut off my head and have another that is still there which I won't remove.

Not sure about the lymph node idea (as it wasn't the case for me), but my lumps have always been fairly easy to move a few millimetres, as in they're not fixed to my skull.... Nothing to worry about in that case. The only reason I had one removed is because it was on the top of my head and kept getting caught on a hair brush and the back of my collar.

Definitely get it looked at, but try not to worry before then. :)

Agnetha

There is a significant network of lymph nodes in the pictures area, around the mastoid.

There are also air cells in there, I can't remember the detail, anantomy lectures were years ago, but they can become enlarged without serious illness but I would still call nurse on call.

Does he have a temp?

LazynCrazy

No, No temp or headache nothing. He is his normal active talkative self.

twinboys

If it is on his scalp area you can get sebaceous cysts and they can get really big.

Some will form a head and burst, others will eventually go down and others have to be cut out.

Wikipedia link

Lyra
If it is on his scalp area you can get sebaceous cysts and they can get really big.

Some will form a head and burst, others will eventually go down and others have to be cut out.

Wikipedia link

my son had one of those on the back of his head when he was a baby. It didn't bother him until we burst it

But, all things lumpy in the head region should be checked out

Agnetha

The mastoid s can be lumpy like that, he might be fighting an infection.

Just cal the nurses to be sure, but probably nothing to worry about.

No rash or anything?

LazynCrazy

No rash either. The skin is of normal color. I will get him to doctor tomorrow. I appreciate everyones help and advice. It has calmed me.

Lyra

Did you find out what it was?

LazynCrazy

Hi Thanks everyone. They have done a ultrasound on his head. They found two large lumps joined in middle and under it some smaller lumps. They are unsure what it is at the moment they have suggested all that everyone here has. They are first starting him on Antibiotics to see if it will go away if not, they said they will operate to check it further. I suppose thats all they can do. Thank you each and everyone of you for helping me. I do appreciate it.

cherubcheeks

Hi billybella

Have the antibiotics helped at all?

Hope your little one is on the mend

xxx