Sign in to follow this  
Guest Inkymay

What areas offer free homebirths?

Guest crissybassy

I am new to all things birth related in Australia and would love to have another home birth, last one was 100% covered by Uk public health system. However I am on a tight budget and cannot pay for a private independent midwife which seems to be the most common option. I need to have one that is nearly 100% covered by medicare.

I have found that there are some medicare covered homebirth services in Perth (not sure how much is covered though so if you have info on this that would be great). I was wondering where else in Australia this service is offered? Particularly interested in services offered in Melbourne, Brisbane and gold coast areas as well as the rest of Australia.

~BumbleBeeeee~

My friend had a homebirth in Adelaide through the Northern Women's Group (happy to be corrected by someone else if that's the wrong name).

I'm pretty certain it was pretty much 100% free.

EsmeLennox

The community midwifery program in Perth is fully covered by Medicare, excepting standard things like NT scan.

Princess Holly
My friend had a homebirth in Adelaide through the Northern Women's Group (happy to be corrected by someone else if that's the wrong name).

I'm pretty certain it was pretty much 100% free.

The organisation your friend went through would have been called the northern midwifery group practice. Theres also a southern midwifery group practice run through flinders medical centre and the womans and childrens.

OP if your in south australia ask to be refered to a hospital that offers the midwifery group practice that way you'll get your own midwife and can have all your appointments at home aswell as be allowed to birth at home. If you see an ob at the hospital you'll have to give birth at the hospital.

NotGirly

In Melbourne, Sunshine Hospital and Casey Hospital both offer Medicare-covered HB options for low-risk pregnancies to women in their local areas (approx 15km radius, but don't quote me on that).

Nepheline

My hospital offers publicly funded homebirths - Royal Hospital for Women in Randwick, Sydney.

Bugster

One of the birth centers in the Newcastle area offer home birth all covered by Medicare.

Chaton

There a no publicly funded home birth programs in Qld, ACT or Tasmania. So bad luck if you live in those states.

I'm in Qld. I'm terribly disappointed.

frummity

Yep, as Bugster said, Belmont Birthing Service offers Medicare funded home birth to Newcastle area.

Wigglemama

There is publicly funded home birth offered through Mullumbimby Hodpital in Northern NSW(near Gold Coast). It is going through a trial period at the moment, so only 2 are offered a month and you must be in their catchment but there is a service available. There is also home birth offered through Royal Hospital for Women and St. George Hospital in Sydney.