katiebear26

bath seat or anti-slip mat?

katiebear26

just hoping for advice on whether to use a bath seat for DD (8mo) or just get a bath anti-slip mat for her to sit on. i have a toweling sling but t's getting too small and she really wants to sit up and splash. when i sit her up on the bath surface she slides everywhere (not good for mummy's sore back). i can sit her on the sling but it's getting pretty manky from constant use and i would like to through it out.

i had always thought bath seats were one of those 'you really don't need it' items, that just played on parents' attempts to have everything for their child, but now i'm not so sure :unsure:

Cheesy Sanga

Just pop a hand towel in the bottom of the bath. It'll provide a non slip surface for baby to sit on.

eachschoolholidays

We used a bath ring and then when they could be trusted not slip over when they reached for toys, we moved to a non slip mat.

Edited by nlman

Amica

I wouldn't get either OP. Mats get moldy underneath and the bath seats are just more stuff that you don't need. We bought these anti slip sticker strips that you put in the bath. They are a non stick surface but nothing can get underneath like mats. They have been on for about 4 years and haven't peeled even a little bit. We got them from K-Mart and they were fairly well priced as well.

Let-it-go
Just pop a hand towel in the bottom of the bath. It'll provide a non slip surface for baby to sit on.

Exactly what I did, in fact I think I just used a facewasher most of the time. Also get a bathroom step. You will need one in about 6 months or so when you want them to reach the sink to wash their hands, clean their teeth etc and when you start TT'ing. That is what I sit on next to the bath so I don't hurt my back.

Edited by Ehill

Pooks_

There's a place for them. I used one for a few months, until DS could sit up well in the bath for himself. You could pick one up cheaply on eBay or a BSS site or something. It made my life a bit easier and DS would easily spend an hour splashing in the bath in it.

Eta we have a bath mat now, doesn't get mouldy because I lift it up to drain after each bath and wash it every now and then...

Edited by Pooks_fembo

pitzinoodles

At that age I'd get a nonslip mat. I liked a bath seat for mine before they can sit up, but after that a mat is better so they can sit up and splash and reach for toys.

I have a dodgy back and I found getting a stool and putting it by the bath means the I can sit on the stool next to the bath and always have a hand on DS if I need to. Much easier on the back when actually washing/cleaning teeth too.

1&Twins
There's a place for them. I used one for a few months, until DS could sit up well in the bath for himself. You could pick one up cheaply on eBay or a BSS site or something. It made my life a bit easier and DS would easily spend an hour splashing in the bath in it.

Eta we have a bath mat now, doesn't get mouldy because I lift it up to drain after each bath and wash it every now and then...

Exactly this :)

queeniebird

Pop one of those rectangular laundry baskets into a bath and put her into it....I've been doing it for a while and it works really well... Also keeps the toys close.... I can pm you a photo if I haven't explained it well.

Kay1

I just hold DS3 (8 months). He has short baths LOL. I have used a bath seat previously and will dig it out soon for DS3. I still hover constantly but it just lets me not actually hold him. You do need to be sure its attached firmly to the bottom of the bath.

I think its less of a necessity with a first child because you can have the water shallow and then a non slip mat might work as they don't 'float' around as much.

Kay1

What a great idea queeniebird!

HurryUpAlready

We've used a bath mat since DD could sit at 6 months. It cost $10 from KMart and still looks brand new. No mould, I dry it on the side of the tub each night.

I don't know if a hand towel would do the trick. DD is 14 months old and squirms around the whole tub. Without the mat she slips (esp when she stands up, which is all the time), so the bath mat is perfect.

Rumply

I had the non-stick mat (it gets mouldy, constantly scrubbing it), but my 8mth DS likes to lie down and roll around, which ends up with him face first in the water... so I have ended up with one of those seats... which I find sooooo much easier.

My first DS we had a smaller washing tub thing that he just sat up in for his bath. Then got the the mat.

sophiasmum

Once they could sit on their own we ditched the bath sling. We put a facewasher on the bottom of the bath for them to sit on, no slipping.

3mummy3

I stupidly went out and bought a $60 bath seat for ds recently which I used maybe 3 times!!! He is my fourth bub too so you would think I would know better by now!!!

Ds is 8 mths now and just sits by himself in bath. I only fill water to just covering his legs when sitting. He doesn't seem to slip much though he does try to crawl and stand up!!! I did just put a face washer under him a little while ago too.

mandelbrot

We use a washing basket for DS's bath, too. It works really well and doesn't use up as much water, or cool down as quickly.

katiebear26

thanks everyone :-) i got an anti-slip mat from target for $6 and it works really well, i can just have one hand on DD's back just in case and she's fine, loves splashing with her hands instead of her legs!

after i bought the mat i saw branded ones in toys r us for $25-30 - so glad i went to target first...

the washing basket idea is great, although my bath is really narrow so it wouldn't fit - guess i'll be chasing toys around the bath for a while :-)

mo3boys

we used neither but I like the idea of the hand towel, esp to save $$

*littlemiracles*

We have a $10 bath mat from K mart and it is fine - it is hung up to dry after each use. DD loves to sit on it and splash about but if my back is a bit sore or anything I use the bath seat which has toys attached. We still have it from DD1 and it pulls apart to store so its great!