Guest Sunnycat

For those who had a home birth

Guest Sunnycat

I wonder if I can actually do it though? Do I have what it takes? I guess that is my fear of the unknown.

Ianthe

I had planned to birth in my bedroom but he arrived fast and I was in the bathroom (standing in the bath).

tick
I'm having a student midwife (who is from EB) attend.

Are these stupid reasons for having a home birth:

Because its hard to organise care for DS, I want to have family time before having visitors, I want some certainty (within reason) about where I'm going to give birth, I think it's easier to "plan" a home birth because I'm at home.

Of course if I need medical care I will happily go to hospital.

One of the many reasons I had DD2 at home was because I didn't want to ship DD1 off to somewhere else when it was time to go to hospital. My mum is nearby but DD1 is/was clingy for me and I just didn't want to have to do it. Bedtime in particular I was worried about. As it happened, I put DD1 to bed the night before DD2 was born, and the night after DD2 was born, pretty much without a hitch. It was perfect.

My DD2 was born on the couch. It was covered with towels and a brolly sheet which all got filthy of course but other than that pile of towels there was surprisingly little mess. I did have a birth pool and found it ok in labour but got out for the birth as I was really over the feeling of being in the bath. Anyway, very little mess. I had two midwives who left all of the towels etc in the laundry soaking, later the same day I put on the machine and DH hung them out, that was pretty much the end of it!

Good luck, whatever you decide!

~Sorceress~

For our first homebirth, I cleaned the bedroom and bathroom especially well :D , and I think I might have vacuumed for the others :) ...

Don't let housework stress get you down :) , but if it is, I can recommend the FlyLady technique :D .

~Sorceress~

Oh, and looking after your family's needs is a great reason to birth at home :) .

My DS1 slept through for the first time the night my DS2 was born - he came into my bed as usual the next morning and discovered the baby on the outside :) . It was such a gentle transition to siblinghood for him :wub: .

deejie
I wonder if I can actually do it though? Do I have what it takes? I guess that is my fear of the unknown.

I think it is perfectly natural to have a level of doubt, worry and fear about birth-- no matter where or how the birth is planned to happen. I did too. I chatted with my midwife about where I thought things went pearshaped with my hospital birth and went about trying to prepare myself better second time around.

You can always book a homebirth and if you change your mind, transfer out of the program.

And there are no "stupid" reasons for having a homebirth. Your personal reasons to birth at home are valid to you and your family and that is really all that matters.

Guest Sunnycat

Thanks everyone :) I really appreciate your answers.

I will discuss it more with DH. He seems more on board with the idea.

If you end up getting transferred for medical reasons how do you get to hospital? Should I take out some ambulance cover?

Oma Desala
If you end up getting transferred for medical reasons how do you get to hospital? Should I take out some ambulance cover?

depending on the reason for transfer you may be able to get your DH to drive you. I would still take out ambulance cover to save yourself the worry in case. Something to keep in mind though is that most transfers are not for emergent situations so the chances of really needing an ambulance are quite low.

So glad your DH is coming around and it's great to see that he's asking questions.

TheFirstNoel
Showers are often the birthing spot too - towels on the floor or a shower chair = easy clean up

Ooooh - this! I really like this!!!

I'm having a student midwife (who is from EB) attend.

Are these stupid reasons for having a home birth:

Because its hard to organise care for DS, I want to have family time before having visitors, I want some certainty (within reason) about where I'm going to give birth, I think it's easier to "plan" a home birth because I'm at home.

Of course if I need medical care I will happily go to hospital.

The main reason I'm thinking about HB this time is because I don't want to have to get in the car while in labour again & risk a side of the road birth. My last child was born about 15 minutes after we got to the hospital - much of that was running through the halls (we parked at the wrong entrance). I have wondered if it's a good enough reason, because while I 100% support HB I'm not exactly passionate about doing it myself, iykwim?

Your DH sounds similar to mine, he was worried about the mess! He's supportive but neither he or I have huge amounts of trust in my body atm... we'll see. The HB program I'm looking at requires you take out ambulance cover.

:D

Guest Sunnycat
Ooooh - this! I really like this!!!

The main reason I'm thinking about HB this time is because I don't want to have to get in the car while in labour again & risk a side of the road birth. My last child was born about 15 minutes after we got to the hospital - much of that was running through the halls (we parked at the wrong entrance). I have wondered if it's a good enough reason, because while I 100% support HB I'm not exactly passionate about doing it myself, iykwim?

Your DH sounds similar to mine, he was worried about the mess! He's supportive but neither he or I have huge amounts of trust in my body atm... we'll see. The HB program I'm looking at requires you take out ambulance cover.

:D

That's like me. I support it but am not passionate about it. Its not my first birthing choice either (I'd rather go to the Birth Centre) but its better than the hospital option. I just really don't know how to organise DS and I want him to be eased into such a big change.

Fox-in-Sox

My midwife cleaned up everything after my home birth. She provided the clean linens, liquid- proof padded cushions for sitting on the couch afterwards etc. Then she packed it all up and took it away. No probs!

My son was born in our living room on towels on hardwood floor. Honestly, the mess was no issue at all.

As for cleaning beforehand, well, my son came 3 weeks before his due date so I hadn't done a lot of prep. Just vacuumed the floor.

All the best with your decision. :-)

Keraru

Just thought I'd reply to the space issue. My DS was born in the bathroom and DD in the laundry. Both are our smallest rooms. I labored best on the toilet, didn't like the birth pool and felt safest in confined spaces. I didn't expect this either time.

I second the doula for cleaning up. And re your son - we had lots of plans but in the end he was in bed asleep.. Lol.

Oh and I needed stitches both times and there was no issue with being stitched at home.

And - we certainly didn't do any extra cleaning either time. In reality the babies were wrapped up in towels as soon as they were born and didn't touch anything else.

I birthed their placentas on our couch which had a light plastic over it and towels.

Good luck with your decision.

CallMeFeral

Bath because I was labouring under the shower (it wasn't an intentional homebirth, but anyway). We do have a bath that the shower points into, but I was using it as a shower at the time.

kabailz13

DD2 was born in a birthpool in our dining room :) We moved the table and chairs outside and put the pool up in its place.

TheFirstNoel
That's like me. I support it but am not passionate about it. Its not my first birthing choice either (I'd rather go to the Birth Centre) but its better than the hospital option. I just really don't know how to organise DS and I want him to be eased into such a big change.

I'm basically planning to have my kids in the house, though probably in a different part, with their own support person looking after them. Ideally I'll just labour overnight while they all sleep!

I actually had great hospital experiences, my midwife was awesome, but the drive was so stressful last time, & transition in the car sucks!

Divine 37

Ours was unintentional home birth(as you know ;)), i gave birth mostly on our bed and there was barely any mess.

A little blood on the carpet, very easily cleaned HTH

Edited by Divine33

Guest Sunnycat

Tnks everyone :) I really appreciate your answers.

Having talked about it some more with DH I don't think it's a viable option at this point so most likely won't be home birthing. It's something Id definitely consider again in the future.

Loz07

Sorry to hear that Sunnycat. Hope you find a solution you are happy with.

Guest Sunnycat

If this next birth goes okay I will most likely home birth for our next baby.