Guest Sunnycat

For those who had a home birth

Guest Sunnycat

I am considering a home birth. Unfortunately it's not my birth preference but it might not the best alternative.

This is probably a weird question, but when the baby came out, which room were you in?

I ask because our house is sh*tty and tiny and I won't have room for a birth pool and I'm not comfortable having the baby in my bed and I'm getting a new lounge suite and don't want to ruin that so I'm not sure what other room I can give birth in. We don't have a bath and our bathroom is tiny.

Sorry if the above sounds weird, I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of it all.

-river-

I had an unplanned home birth and gave birth on the lounge room floor.

ekbaby

Are you totally sure a birth pool wont fit? We have a 2br apartment and had a birth pool set up in our pretty small living room. We just moved the coffee table out if the way and put it between the couch and the TV. We didn't set the birth pool up until I was actually in labour (but had had a practice run first).

I birthed in the pool, in the living room.

Soon after the birth I moved to the spare single bed/day bed/couch we have in the same room, we had bought some plastic sheeting from the hardware shop and my midwife quickly made up the bed with plastic underneath (but towels and sheets on top, so it didn't feel gross). There was no damage to the mattress .

unicorn

We bought a big painters drop sheet to go over the mattress on my bed and I gave birth there, I had the spa filled and was going to use that with the bed as a backup plan but I couldn't get comfortable in the tub.

Guest Sunnycat

I ideally don't want to give birth in hospital again unless for medical reasons. There was nothing wrong with my hospital birth but I think it was better because I got transferred back to the Birth Centre afterwards. But this time I don't think I'll be able to be transferred back to the Birth Centre.

My main reasons for not wanting a home birth is mainly because I can't be bothered cleaning up before and after. We have 6 indoor cats and our house is tiny and old. Also DH isn't very supportive of this, but I probably can convince him.

I also spoke to the lady who would be my midwife but I didn't really like her.....maybe I need to meet her properly though before writing her off. If I accept a place on their program she will come to hospital with me though.

I'm really unsure as to how to proceed. Ive still got 15 weeks to decide but I think I need to make a decision soon.

Eirinn

I saw your other thread, and I am so sorry you are going through this uncertainty.

I wanted to say to you then, don't worry about the shortcomings of your house - once your baby is born there, everything will be beautiful. I had a homebirth 6 weeks ago in my small, and less than ideal house.

I second Freakypet's advice to get a doula - my house was left cleaner than before the birth! Not that birthing left much mess anyway - we just had old towels between the pool and the bathroom, and shower curtains on the bed and lounge.

A birth pool doesn't take up as much room as you think, and is so good - for pain relief and to contain some of the mess. My doula and midwife had the pool emptied and away before I even noticed!

Good luck to you, whatever you decide - every woman deserves to be safe and supported at this special time.

~Sorceress~

Awwww it feels so miserable to have your birth options limited. I'm sorry :( .

I've not given birth with limited space, though as our family grew I had limited options for privacy ;) , but I have had friends who birthed happily in tiny areas.

I'm not fond of cleaning and think the least a pregnant woman can get is a good cleaner to visit before the birth :) . Before my last baby, I was increasingly stressed about the state of my house - some gorgeous friends realised, came over for a "coffee", then while they were here just happened to tidy all the bits I hadn't been able to get to :) . Bless them!

Because I birthed in the bath, clean up was a matter of pulling the plug and rinsing :D . If you do a trip to an op shop and stock up on some old curtains (drop sheets), you can probably do a clean up that is almost as simple if you just bundle up any mess and drop it in the bin :D .

When I was planning my first homebirth and didn't realise I was a definite water birther, at my midwife's suggestion I made up the bed with layers including a shower curtain in between and stocked up with plenty of older towels :) .

Sif

I had a planned home birth in a rented home which did not have enough room for a birth pool. I birthed my son while kneeling at the end of my bed (using the bed for support).

So, in my bedroom, which was carpeted. I had a plastic matress protecter covered in towels and sheets under me, so the carpet didn't get anything on it (that would have been fun to explain to the landlord, LOL).

I spent a lot of my short, one hour labour, in my bedroom, pacing with the lights off and the curtains drawn. There was plenty of room, even though the bed left only a 1x2 metre space to pace in.

Guest Sunnycat

Thanks everyone. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet. DH isn't really on board with it but I think I could convince him. He doesn't think my reasons for wanting a home birth are really good enough reasons (I don't think they are either).

But I will think about it some more :)

Expelliarmus

Don't worry about cleaning up the mess :) *you* aren't the one who cleans it up! :D

While you bask with the baby, the birth attendants do that - or that's what they were doing at the homebirth I was at (not mine!).

Guest Sunnycat

Will I have to clean the house beforehand to make it presentable for guests?

Expelliarmus

Are they there to see you and the baby or the house?

I'd say worrying about that is sweating the small stuff. :)

Eirinn
Will I have to clean the house beforehand to make it presentable for guests?

Oh gawd no!

Guest Sunnycat

I really want to seriously consider it. But I'm doubting whether I will actually be able to do it, by that I mean the natural drug free birth part.

I have issues with vaginal pain due to a sexual assault. Like I don't know how I will cope not having any pain relief options at all.

I think DH will support whatever I decide in the end so it's up to me....just gotta make a decision!

Corella

If you birth in hospital, vaginal exams will almost definitely be a part of your care.

If you birth at home, vaginal exams *may* be a part of your care but not necessarily. For a vaginal pain sufferer, perhaps knowing that will be better?

My first homebirth was in a tiny space and the birth pool jjjuuusssttt fit and it was not a problem. The mess wasn't mine to clean up either. I know someone who birthed in a teeny caravan and just made it work. I've heard of women doing it in rentals, on boats, in tents and teepees.

deejie
I really want to seriously consider it. But I'm doubting whether I will actually be able to do it, by that I mean the natural drug free birth part.

I have issues with vaginal pain due to a sexual assault. Like I don't know how I will cope not having any pain relief options at all.

You do have pain relief "options", they are just not the ones that spring to mind.

The hot water in the shower.

The birth pool (as PPs have said, it does not take up as much room as you would think)

If you can find a midwife/birth attendant/doula who does accupressure. My midwife did this on my lower back during each contraction and it seriously decreased the pain by 30%, it was amazing.

A good midwife/doula will help you wiht position changes to find what you are most comfortable with.

A lot of "pain control" for me was preparation and getting myself in to the right head space. A couple of books I found handy were Birthing From Within by Pam England and Birth Skills by Juju Sunsin. It might be worth doing some reading if you do decide to have a home birth.

It's a tough position to be in and I think finding a midwife/doula who you can talk to about your history and build a trusting relationship with will be the key.

Guest Sunnycat

Last time I gave birth in hospital the pain afterwards triggered a lot of bad memories which in part contributed to my negative birth experience (which in a certain other thread apparently I am wrong for feeling :rolleyes:)

That was with an epidural. I don't know how things will go if I can feel vaginal tearing and that kind of thing. Contractions I think I can handle but not the vag stuff (if that makes sense).

DH has just asked if I need stitches who will stitch me up at a home birth?

Guest Sunnycat
No, you can refuse these and you don't have to explain why if you don't want to. You may have to stand your ground, but they can NOT make you have one. This is where a good doula or support person comes in handy. They can support your choices and back you up.

If you really do need stitches, many women will transfer to hospital and have them done there. Many also opt for 'home' remedies like seaweed wraps and resting. I had a minor tear with my second, I was asked if I wanted to go to hospital to have it stitched (my midwife at the time deemed it to need maybe 2 stitches), i choose to stay home and allow it to heal naturally - MUCH better outcome than my hospital stitching up from the first birth.

Ah okay cool. The thing that seems to prevent DH being supportive (apart from the mess) is that he things I will need to go to the hospital anyway to be stitched up and then I will bleed all over his car. :rolleyes:

Eirinn

The midwife will stitch you up if you need it. They will also carry oxygen.

I have no experience with assault, so I really can't comment on how triggering the pain might be for you :(. For me, second stage of labour is felt as pressure through the bottom rather than the vagina. I had a small second degree tear which I didn't notice until the midwife told me.

If I were you, I would give a doula a call. You can chat through some issues over the phone or in person, obligation free.

Guest Sunnycat

Hmm I guess have lots to consider. Thanks everyone :) I really appreciate your answers.

ekbaby

Some homebirth midwives can do stitches at home. It might depend on the severity of the tear. I tore with both births but the second time it was less severe, my MW said she could put 1-2 stitches in or leave it to heal naturally, I chose the latter.

Re pain with crowning, my first birth was on land, second was in water, I don't know if it was the pool or the fact of it being my second baby, (or maybe because i wasnt being coached to push ) but the crowning didn't hurt at all the second time, I was amazed how much better it was (the contractions still hurt heaps though ;) )

Sounds to me like you would really benefit from a birth attendant who you really trust and who you feel you can talk openly with, have you found anyone like that in all the options you've explored?

ekbaby

Also maybe reading some homebirth birth stories would help you get an idea of how it could work in practice (the rooms people birth in, the use of props, the role of midwife/partner/siblings etc). Does WA have a home birth association or similar? Eg our state has one and they have a magazine with birth stories in it you can download old copies for $5 or so. There are probably websites too. It helped me to see the massive range of experiences from long to short labours, the calm and candles and blessing way cards approaches through to humorous, painful, kitchen floor births and everything in between.

Guest Sunnycat

I'm having a student midwife (who is from EB) attend.

Are these stupid reasons for having a home birth:

Because its hard to organise care for DS, I want to have family time before having visitors, I want some certainty (within reason) about where I'm going to give birth, I think it's easier to "plan" a home birth because I'm at home.

Of course if I need medical care I will happily go to hospital.

Guest Sunnycat

Ekbaby I'm part of a program of midwives and they have birth stories on their website so I will check them out :)

Eirinn

Your reasons are not stupid. Anything that makes you feel safe and supported is a valid consideration.