RocktonResident

What age do you let the kids answer the phone?

RocktonResident

DH is in hospital and phones every night to speak to the kids.

The other night I was in the shower when he called and DD answered the phone (we'd never discussed phone privileges prior to this, but when I am speaking to a family member I do let her talk if she asks).

So I'm curious, at what age do you let the kids answer the phone (home phone I'm talking about, not mobile), and what rules do you have? If I decide to let her do this on occasion, I'm thinking the first rule has to be the answering machine picks up first so that she knows who is speaking, and let her know the select few people she can speak to.

Or, is she completely too young to have the right to answer the phone? FWIW, I would be in the house, just possibly outside hanging out washing, in the bathroom, etc. I never leave her home alone where it's an issue in that respect.

EsmeLennox

About 5 here. She's older than my youngest and he's been answering the phone for about a year.

The rules here are to ask who's speaking, if they don't know who the person is they are to give an adult the phone. I don't think much harm can come from answering the phone myself.

bakesgirls

I've never had any particular age in place, it's just been whenever they wanted to answer it if that turns out to be 3 or 7, whatever. It doesn't worry me, either DH or myself is nearby, so what's the worst that can happen? No one in this house askes who is speaking, we just hand the phone over to the person the call is for.

librablonde

Over the age of 10.

Mrs Dinosaurus

Let....

Interesting.

DS (now 3) has been racing me to the phone from around 2. I tried putting it out of reach but that just encouraged dangerous climbing behaviour so I stopped.

Interestingly he talks to people loads when he answers the phone but not when I hand it to him. He had a great conversation with Nanny and Poppy tonight!

~Supernova~

DD answers the phone if it's her dad, other than that...nope. Maybe when she is 12+? Not that I see it as a huge deal, I just see no reason for her to answer it either. I ignore most calls anyway, so I'd be annoyed if she answered and said I was there LOL

Edited by Mareek

EsmeLennox

No, Maree, you've got it wrong, you train them to tell certain people you aren't home! :tongue:

~Supernova~
No, Maree, you've got it wrong, you train them to tell certain people you aren't home! :tongue:

haha, in that case she can answer the damn thing all the time :p

RocktonResident

That's what caller ID and the answering machine is for! I never speak to telemarketers anymore! ;)

Datrys

From younger than your DD's age, I had a script memorised that went like this:

"Hello, AV speaking."

(Other person asks for mum or dad)

Either: "Sure, I'll just get them for you,"

or: "I'm sorry, they're not available at the moment, can I take a message?"

Seems pretty appropriate to me, still? I can't imagine why you'd not let a child do this?

glasnost

DS has answered the phone since he was 4. The only people who ever call us on our home phone are my parents or PIL and I am always nearby. I have never seen the need to be paranoid about kids answering the phone however... this is EB so I will probably change my mind in a few posts time!

Edited by glasnost

Kay1

Gosh I beg mine to answer the phone! Yesterday DS1 (7.5) actually answered the phone while I was in the shower and then brought the phone to me. I was so chuffed I gave him a reward. It annoys me to tears when the phone is ringing right next to them and they ignore it and I am running to get it and then miss the call.

You sound nervous about it OP....I can't really see the risk involved... :unsure:

heffalumpsnwoozles

We have caller ID with different ring tones for both sets of grandparents and DH. The kids are allowed to answer any of those tones. Unidentified callers go to voicemail. My kids are 5 and 3.

LittleMissPink

My daughter answers the phone if I am in the shower or outside or cant make it. She knows to ask who it is, and will say "mum is busy she can call you back" if I am.

She was about 5 or 6 when this started.

fionah

No age restriction here. Cam is 4 and answers the phone.

Fi

livvie7586

we have a silent number, so only people who know it ring us. DS has been answering the phone for the last year or so, so since 5, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest (except when he doesn't tell me someone rang).

I'm always somewhere in/around the house, and usually he only answers when i'm in the shower/hanging out the washing (he can also answer my mobile and skype)

DeeofAdelaide

I haven't answered my own home phone in years lol. I let it go to the answering machine and the only people who aren't telemarketers who ring it are my grandparents and I just call htem back.

She has answered my personal mobile (not my work one) since she was able to read basic words like 'mum' and could tell who it was. Maybe 3?

I can't imagine any reason not to answer a home phone if you have one and use it. What is the risk?

lucky 2

I think as soon as she could speak I had dd answering the phone, well not quite but maybe 2?, she had a toy phone and lots of practice, it was very cute, I don't see any problem with allowing them to practice a form of communication.

Answering the door is different, I still wont let her do that at 8 unless I am expecting company and then I tend to call through the door first if I cant tell who it is.

Greatmum

Never lol My kids have never had any interest to answer!

EsmeLennox
That's what caller ID and the answering machine is for! I never speak to telemarketers anymore! ;)

I don't have caller ID and no longer turn the answering machine on. Apparently when people leave a message on that damn thing they expect you to call them back! Lol

Edited by Jemstar

RocktonResident
Gosh I beg mine to answer the phone! Yesterday DS1 (7.5) actually answered the phone while I was in the shower and then brought the phone to me. I was so chuffed I gave him a reward. It annoys me to tears when the phone is ringing right next to them and they ignore it and I am running to get it and then miss the call.

You sound nervous about it OP....I can't really see the risk involved... :unsure:

I wish I knew why I was nervous about it! I don't know, just seems she's growing up too fast and I miss the stage where the kids depended on me for everything, it's almost like they don't need me anymore! :(

whimbrel

I had a friend whose parents told her never to say her name when answering the phone in case it was a stalker or something. I always thought that was a little weird because like pp I was taught the script 'hello me speaking' then 'sure I'll get them' or 'sorry they aren't here right now'. I figured if it was a stalker they would probably already know your first name :shrug:

Majeix
I don't have caller ID and no longer turn the answering machine on. Apparently when people leave a message on that damn thing they expect you to call them back! Lol

My friends answerign machine or um message bank says the person is unavailable and you cannot leave a message so please call again later I want one of those...

EsmeLennox
My friends answerign machine or um message bank says the person is unavailable and you cannot leave a message so please call again later I want one of those...

Oh God, me too.

The beauty of children taking a message is you can blame them when you don't call back! :evilgrin: "what... You left a message with x? I'm so sorry, he didn't tell me... '

bryce's-mummy

DS does and he's 6. DD (3) has also done so without me knowing- and she usually has a good yarn with whoever is on the other end of the line!

When I get telemarketers calling or any company offshore I usually give the phone to DD to take of them for me!! They hang up pretty quickly when they realise they are interviewing a toddler!!