Sign in to follow this  
Natttmumm

Please tell me what is the best nipple cream

Natttmumm

I'm off to the baby shop today to buy the last of the things I need. Please tell me which nipple cream was good to use between feeds.

Thanks

Dirtsa

yes, lansinoh is excellent

you would find it in Priceline

Edited by Frau Farbissina

Mama8

Yep another lansinoh lover here :D it's great!

Mrs Dinosaurus

Ignore everyone who doesn't agree with me - I still have a 3 1/2 year old scar on my left nipple from cracking and poor attatchment with DS1 as evidence I know what I'm talking about :lol:

No creams.

Use milk and air if you get a little dry and at the first sign of cracking or pain use mothers mates or a similar product - absolutely magic, seriously - saved my breastfeeding life. They are expensive but last a long time and if you're lucky and only have one wayward side or only take a short while to adjust to breastfeeding you'll only need one pack of two (obviously only use on the sore side).

Seriously - NO CREAMS!!

All the best, I found the first two weeks of breastfeeding a bit of a shock - but once we settled into a proper attatchment (with help) it got a lot easier and faster.

Lokum

Ive used lansinoh on bums and dry eyelids and otherthings ...but i reckon for nipples, air, shields and help with attachment.

Lansinoh is so thick it prevents them from drying up when they're scabby or really damaged. (ive only had grazing and scab for a couple of days, but shields are my friend ;) )

ez21

Lansinoh saved my nipples.

It's important to note that some people have skin that is more prone to drying out and therefore applying breastmilk to the nipple doesn't always cut it. For some, breastmilk is sufficient.

With first child my nipples were so badly cracked - I was told only to put breastmilk on my nipples. BIG MISTAKE...they ended up so dry and eventually cracked. My skin is fair, sensitive and prone to dryness.

Second child, I applied Lansinoh after every feed for the first 2 weeks and my nipples were great. No more dry and cracked nipples.

Important to make sure your nipples are dry before you apply the cream - you don't want wet and soggy nipples that will damage easily and are more susceptible to thrush and other infections.

And of course, proper attachment is vital.

Bluenomi

Lansinoh is the best thing ever. Breastmilk doesn't really cut it so a lot of people. Just be warned, it can stain, all my fabric breast pads have stains on them from it but that was much better than cracked nipples!

Wacky Wobbler

Lasinoh and Nip Nip Nipple Cream.

Libertine

Lansinoh is ok but at the first sign of damage those Rite Aid gel breast discs are AMAZING. Instant relief and seem to help you heal really quickly. You can't get them everywhere but I got them at Chemist Warehouse and I saw them in Big W the other day. About $8 for 12.

I always give a pack to new mums now.

ceeshell

Lansinoh saved my nipples with DD2. She was shredding my nipples at every feed (seriously, she had amazing suction but no idea how to attach. I'd be screaming trying to get her to detach and she would come off with my blood smeared all over her face and my nipple left looking like something out of a horror movie. I would be sweating and filled with dread begore every feed) Nipple shields didn't work for me. I was despairing and then I discovered Lansinoh, it was a miracle. I would slather it on my nipples after every feed and three hours later they would be 'healed' enough for me to try breast feeding again.

The whole saga only lasted 8 or so days before DD2 worked it out and we continued to have a lovely, pain free bf relationship for 12 months. Without Lansinoh, I'm pretty sure I would have given up.

To summarise: Lansinoh- I'm a fan.

ShopgirlX

Dinosaurus is right! No, seriously! Multi Mums while you and bubs get acquainted, then just keep them clean and dry from there on in. If you still have pain and damage after the first 5-6 days, seek out a LC.

Edited by shopgirl76

RynandStompy

Absolutely agree with PP who suggest gel pads, such as Mothers Mates or the much less pricey Rite Aid ones (which I used). The gel pads and air + breastmilk are my top recommendations.

Frankly Lanisoh was useless for me, but an LC I saw in the second week suggested I look at Marcalan and bin the Lanisoh. THAT was great advice and I totally recommend getting a tube of that too for the times you want it. And it's the best ever lip protector in winter too :)

allthiseffortpaidoff

The moogoo nipple cream is the best, by far and completely natural.

Mrs Dinosaurus
Absolutely agree with PP who suggest gel pads, such as Mothers Mates or the much less pricey Rite Aid ones (which I used). The gel pads and air + breastmilk are my top recommendations.

Frankly Lanisoh was useless for me, but an LC I saw in the second week suggested I look at Marcalan and bin the Lanisoh. THAT was great advice and I totally recommend getting a tube of that too for the times you want it. And it's the best ever lip protector in winter too :)

See - it was only a matter of time before we agreed again! :)

lucky 2

As pp's have said, deep attachment of baby to the breast is the best, ie prevention is better than cure!

Otherwise breastmilk and if the nipple is drying then medical grade lanolin (brand names lansinoh, purelan, marcalan) is often soothing, decreases pain and prevents drying out (thus aids healing/doesn't delay healing).

If you have quite substantial damage then perhaps a healing pad, ie the multi-mums or hydrogel discs (mothers mates or rite aid discs).

There can be a sliding scale of treatment with prevention at the top.

Hopefully you wont need any nipple preparations.

All the best.