Sign in to follow this  
ames131

Baby names

ames131

Is anyone else having a hard time chosing a baby name due to family obligations? As I have married in to a Greek family, there is a common Greek tradition that you name the child after your husband's parents (for a boy it's after the grandfather etc), however I'm not so keen on following this tradition.

I've found that during discussions regarding the list of baby names that I currently have for both sexes (as we didn't find out the sex of our baby), my husband turns his nose for the majority of these, and I think he still thinks I'll miraculously change my mind post labour and say "yes dear I'd love to name our child ____". I think that for a middle name to appease the parents it could be an option but not a first name.

Plus I've found that with my husband's family, due to this naming tradition, all the cousins share the same name depending on their sex, and this to me doesn't promote individuality, and it's not something I want to do.

I've had multiple discussions with my husband about the naming of our children, and even prior to getting married as I knew it was a big thing for his side. And I'm trying to ensure that the name we choose for our baby is agreed upon, but I'm worried that there's still the underlying obligation to use a name for our child for traditions sake, however due to my determination I'm sure that our decision to not following tradition is going to be an issue....

SFML

Hi AmesI don't have family obligations, we are just going through the standard struggle of many in finding a name.

I was reading an article though on the family tradition of naming and the problem and it suggested trying some options such as - a name that sounds similar, a name starting with the same letter or a variant of the name, eg you might find that many countries have different variations derived from John etc. middle name suggestion was there also. Another one is if they will be confirmed taking the confirmation name later on - of course that one is more religion dependant.

I don't like your husbands chances of you suddenly changing your mind post labour... I would have thought the odds would be in your favour post birth :D

Best of luck

Sorry just realised I'm in your April dig and I'm the May dig - whoops!

Edited by SFML

Wishing2011

YES well we don't have obligations but my husband wants to follow tradition with the two grandfathers names for the middle name... I don't like the names or the combination (no offence to our dad's) PLUS he wants to name our son (if we have a boy) the name of both of our grandfather. Lucky I actually like that one but I don't want to have the two middle names.. I want to choose our own to match the first name.

Edited by Wishing2011

Sign in to follow this