Zozo's Mummy

New teeth are yellow 7yr old DD

Zozo's Mummy

Hi

DD7 has several new teeth- 2 at the top & 4 down the bottom. The bottom ones are really cramped & overlapping. Her baby teeth were lovely & straight & white but her new teeth are yellow & look like they're never brushed. I don't understand why they're like this. She doesn't eat a lot of junk food, she only drinks water & she brushes every night (not every morning I must admit). I almost always brush them for her after she's had a go. She's had check ups & cleans every 6 months at the dentist since she was 5. The last time she went they told my DH to lay off giving her juice. She doesn't drink juice!

Any suggestions or remedies or does anyone else's child have this problem? It's embarrassing cause it looks like I neglect her teeth.

Thanks

EsmeLennox

Does she eat a lot of acidic fruit?

Did she have any heavy duty antibiotics as a baby?

My eldest child's teeth are a bit yellow-ish and they have some staining. The yellow-ish look is from being tested with gentamicin as a baby. The staining is from eating too many blueberries.

solongandthanksfor

did she take antibiotics - perhaps a long course a long time ago...

PopsiclePeach

Adult teeth always look 'yellower' than baby teeth - it's why baby teeth are called 'milk teeth'. I asked the dentist only last week as I had concerns about my DS (8) teeth. When there is a combo of baby teeth and adult teeth the adult teeth will always look yellow. Once there are all adult teeth they will look white again! :)

Zozo's Mummy

Thanks for the replies. Yes, she eats a lot of strawberries & apples & as a baby had reflux medication every day for a year, so I guess that might have something to do with it.

*CalamityJane*
Adult teeth always look 'yellower' than baby teeth - it's why baby teeth are called 'milk teeth'. I asked the dentist only last week as I had concerns about my DS (8) teeth. When there is a combo of baby teeth and adult teeth the adult teeth will always look yellow. Once there are all adult teeth they will look white again! :)

My dentist said the same thing. Completely normal. She reassured DD that she was doing a good job at cleaning her teeth and that we weren't to nag her about it LOL.

Edited by *CalamityJane*

*littlemiracles*

Same here with our DD. Reassuring to know its normal.

Bella_a1

Yip adult teeth are yellower so against white baby teeth they look even worse.

Chelli

I had the same problem when my DD's adult teeth came through and I was really concerned until the dentist explained to me about how adult teeth can look like that. I then felt bad for making her brush her teeth again and again because I wasn't convinced she was doing it properly.

tiggy2

According to the mag in my bounty bag if kids swAllow toothpaste that can make their adult teeth come out yellow! Never heard that one before.

insomniac

Interesting to know. DD's look quite yellow against her other baby teeth. She also has mamelons on all the new permanent teeth (bumps on the ends). Freaked me out and I thought her teeth were ruined until the dentist assured me it was normal ;)

mumto3princesses

DD#3 has the same problem. She actually has not enough enamel on some of her teeth which makes them look even worse. Our dentist said her reflux problems as a baby plus the fact she is a twin (and her sister probably took a lot of it). She has fissure seals on a few teeth to protect them a bit.

jenbi

My DS was the same -Dentist said it was a combination of sleeping with his mouth open and also his asthma medication. Plus he said to use adult toothpaste - I was still using the kiddy brand one. It made a difference.

Luckybee

Same here and apparently quite normal! DD has also been switched to adult toothpaste. I miss those snow white shiny milk teeth!

rjflc69
According to the mag in my bounty bag if kids swAllow toothpaste that can make their adult teeth come out yellow! Never heard that one before.

This is what our dentist told me about DS1, the colour seems to have got slightly better in the past 6 months (and this was when we were not comparing to baby teeth).

Fiona