Sign in to follow this  
123Babies4Me

'Phantom' periods while breastfeeding

123Babies4Me

For the last week or so I have felt like my period is coming. Bloating, cramping etc. Some days (today in particular!) it feels so imminent that I expect to see blood when I go to the toilet, but nothing!

I am breastfeeding my 7 month old daughter. When I Googled this, lots of results came back for phantom periods while breastfeeding - basically feeling like it was coming and it didn't.

I was wondering if this happened to anyone in EBland? With DS, my period returned when he was 8.5 months and I only knew when I went to the toilet and found blood - no prior warning.

And I've checked, I'm not pregnant (that was pretty unlikely given how little action there has been!! :D )

Mrs Dinosaurus

Yes, My DS2 is 15 months and still no period - I had some light spotting at 4 months PP and 8 months PP but nothing else. Not pregnant but have several times felt like I was going to get a period and never did.

I am travelling o/s soon - I assume my body will wait until I touch down in foreign land and I shall then have a heavy nauseating period for the entire holiday :D

bluedragon

Happened to me too. In fact I actually had half a day of sever cramps and nausea once (I have terrible periods!). So bad I was in bed with a hot water bottle and then like a switch nothing. No more symptoms and no blood.

I didn't get a real one for another 6 months. I had bloating and other symptoms at other times too.

BlueUnicorn

Yes! I'm going through that at the moment.. I even went emergency pad shopping last week. But nothing! Its over 3 months after the birth and Ive had two lots of moods/bloating/cramping and expecting to see my period.

With both of my previous births I bf as well, and both times my period was back by the second month. Im not pregnant.

tibs

Yep it happened to me a few times, so much so I went out and bought pads. One time I'm sure I had period pain :wacko: My kids were 15-16 months when I finally got my period back.

MintyBiscuit

Yep, I had that pre period feeling a few months ago. Was at Costco that week so bought one of the big packets of pads - it's still sitting unopened in the bathroom.

I'm not complaining though, the longer it stays away the better!

123Babies4Me

Hi everyone - thanks for the comments! Its nice to know that I'm not strange!!! Even though I like the absence of AF, all this bogus period pain makes me wish that AF would arrive, just so this pain would go away! Grr!!

PippityRue - one of the first things I did when this started was take a preg test to check. With both of my successful pregnancies, my first symptom was period pain without bleeding so I was instantly suspicious. Thankfully I'm not PG!! Although now I'm tempted to use an OPK to see if I'm Oing...